PDA

View Full Version : Overstimulated?

tonkatiel
06-10-2013, 06:33 AM
I know that some of the bigger 2's are known for being easily overstimulated and getting nasty when that happens, but I'd never put Galahs into that same category until today...
Punky was having her out of cage time with us today, just sitting on the back of the couch and watching a movie with us. She had been wandering all over the couch, sometimes coming over for a treat or a scritch, sometimes going for a random fly around the room and back again. Then she suddenly just wandered over to my hand and started biting it (hard! Was the first time she has hurt me with her bites! Normally she just kind of nibbles). Straight away I put her back in her cage, and she screeched for the next 10 minutes. I decided not to let her out again as it was coming close to the time she normally would have been put back anyway.
Am I right in thinking she was overstimulated? I hadn't done anything different to normal, she just randomly walked over and started biting :/

Mare
06-10-2013, 01:57 PM
My Goffin's will do that sometimes, just out of nowhere! I've come to notice that she will start getting real active, bouncing around, flying back and forth, quickly,right before the big bite comes down, so I think overstimulated might be a cause.

Blancaej
06-10-2013, 02:23 PM
My Grey also does that. It's usually when there is a lot of activity going on. The other day I was scrubbing a pan while he was on my shoulder. He came down and bit my arm. Not hard though. I knew it was from the movement of me scrubbing, he didn't like it! So in his cage he went!

Pinkbirdy
06-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Punky [love the name :) } Im sure did get overstimulated. Also shes starting to feel more comfortable with you. Toos are known to continually test boundries . Stand your ground with her .

Rescued
06-10-2013, 05:26 PM
We have had this happen with most of our birds. Cockatoos are usually the biggest culprit, but my B and G will also do it given the right circumstance. It takes an observant, and careful handler to prevent the bites.

JLcribber
06-11-2013, 04:32 AM
Take note of the time of day this happened. I'm guessing it was near the end of the day possibly just before bedtime (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's been my experience that Tooz do tend to get rambunctious and a bit over the top near roosting time at the end of the day. If I'm going to get bit that is when it's most likely to happen.

I have limited experience with Galahs but they are Tooz??

tonkatiel
06-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Thanks guys, it definitely seemed like it was everything I'd read about overstimulation... Mare - thats exactly what she was like before it happened, just went from really laid back and friendly to suddenly full of energy and excitement lol... it was at about 2pm - so I don't think it was that she was tired, just that she is still getting used to us kind of thing - yesterday was the first time she had spent all of her out of cage time sitting and interacting with us, normally she spends a lot of time on her play stand or just on the floor trying to forage (for nothing lol), so I think it may have just been all too much for her in one go straight away... Now that I know the warning signs though I will definitely be more prepared :)

Turquoise
06-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I've never owned a Cockatoo, but my macaw Ruby Jewel has done that in the last week sometimes when she is out. She is also still getting used to living with me. And she is still very young, (9months) so I think she is still trying to take it all in.

Mare
06-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Now that John mentioned it, these bouts with Sassy usually come right before her nap time. She will usually nap for a couple hours in the afternoon. When she gets in these moods, I put her back in her cage and she'll perch with her foot up for an hour or two.