PDA

View Full Version : Update with Valentino RFM and Julio Noble macaw

noblemacaw
06-09-2013, 09:51 PM
I will try to post again since the form logged me out and ate my post. LOL

Valentino is doing really well. Lupe steps it up for me and will give him attention the evenings I have class. I go to class twice a week and will be doing this until November. This gives two times a week where Valentino does not get his momma time until I get home between 9:30 and 10PM. I still have not picked up harness training as the weather has been really crappy with being cold and wet. Summer should come soon I hope and his harness still fits so I hope to resume the training soon. Valentino is still somewhat pinching me in his manner of play and leaves bruises but not as bad as before. I don't really care for this aspect of the RFM but have taught him early on "gentle" and he will check himself when the command is used. I have to remind him I am NOT a RFM! I also am not fond of his need to be Tarzan. He loves to swing from my ponytail and squeal. If he is slipping he will grab into my shirt and sometimes will grab some of my flesh as well. Not very comfortable when he is pinching my back and shoulders to pull himself up. He also pulls on my hair while doing this too. Lupe has walked in on us as Valentino is standing on my rear squealing in delight a he is playing with my hair. Such a little PITA at times I tell you what. What I love about Valentino is when he is affectionate and when he is getting into his training. These are what I find most pleasurable about having a RFM in my life.

Julio the naked Noble macaw is adjusting well. He has chosen Lupe as his person and he has not bitten her in quite some time. She can do pretty much anything to him where I cannot. I am unable to take him out of his cage without getting bitten. For now I have kept status quo with just being in the room with him (he is in my office so this is a plus) and talking to him and feeding him food from my finger though the cage. I can also open the cage door to feed him but he will not step up for me even with a offered treat. He is terrified of stepping up on a perch on any kind, natural, dowl, something he even knows about will cause fright. I don't know if this comes from some kind of abuse but I do know at the very least he was verbally abused. I suspect highly he might of been backhanded also. He has about a month left of quarentine and then will be moved downstairs next to Valentino. I hope by being relocated and being around another parrot will help him feel more secure and settled for once and all. I will then set example for him while interacting with Valentino to help him realize I am not that bad a person. It is my hope in time he can learn to trust me also.

Now I will post before it gets eaten again. LOL

Pinkbirdy
06-10-2013, 01:13 AM
Glad to hear things are going well [I know things were a little hairy at first] . Im sure he will be a whole new bird in 6 months :)

Blancaej
06-10-2013, 01:50 AM
Sounds like things are moving right along. I'm sure with time things will get better. Sounds like both you and Lupe are doing an awesome job. Keep it up! :)

tonkatiel
06-10-2013, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the update Noble, I'd been wondering how Julio was going :)
A bit different as my galah is only young with (as far as I know) no past abuse, but she is great with me and very frightened with my partner, which sounds a lot like how Julio is with you... I'm hoping that our problem is just that she needs more time with him and she'll realise that he isn't the boogie monster lol

noblemacaw
06-10-2013, 04:39 AM
I know from reading Julio's intake form (something I was given privy too but normally is not allowed which I was very thankful for) he tends to bond to one person. With my experience this is not normal Noble macaw behavior but I do know if he was NOT a Noble macaw this would be a lot harder to deal with. I do hope Julio learns to accept me and include me in his affections but from the history I have read on him that might not be possible. I happen to think anything is possible with time and effort. No matter what Julio is here to stay, we are his forever home and real important is that Lupe is over the moon about him. She really loves the little naked Noble macaw.

plax
06-10-2013, 04:53 AM
It's great to hear that both Valentino and Julio are progressing so nicely, Rebecca. You and Lupe keep up your terrific work with those guys :)

noblemacaw
06-10-2013, 11:00 PM
I got the email in from Dr. Blair and his labs all came back clean. Julio is not carrying any disease that will infect Valentino. After the quarantine is over at the end of June Julio's cage will be moved downstairs to join Valentino. I am so happy my rescue parrot is so healthy!!

Now we will work on trying to get him feathers, improve his diet introducing fresh foods and the biggest one....TRAINING. YEA!

Blancaej
06-10-2013, 11:49 PM
That is awesome news! I'm happy for you both! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

plax
06-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Congratulations, Rebecca! :)

Honesty
06-11-2013, 07:30 AM
This is fantastic news Rebecca :) I am really happy for you.

Turquoise
06-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Glad everything is going great with your feathered kids. Valentino sounds like Roscoe. Lately he has been more of an impish brat than before. He will be two in Sept so I think his is normal childish behavior.

That's so sweet that Lupe is Julio's favorite. Hope training continues to go well for ya'll.

jtbirds
06-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Really glad to hear Julio has settled in better, I remember you saying awhile back he was having a few small issues. Valentino is such a goof I love hearing about that little monster lol!

Thanks for the update:).