PDA

View Full Version : ~~Miss Ruby Jewel enjoying a breath of fresh air~~

Turquoise
06-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Yesterday hubby, Jerry was working on the front yard fence we are extending for Toodle Butt my female sulcata tortoise. I brought Ruby Jewel out & let her walk around on the ground. I thought, "Now why didn't I bring my camera out?" Duh, never think about it when I should. So in we go back, her thinking she was going to go to bed as it was nearing their bedtime & her squirming on my arm like a small child not wanting to go. I get back out & let her down again & this time she decides to come see what I am doing and bite my exposed toes~~Ouch!!

I managed to get 3 short videos of her, but she insisted on coming toward me & trying to climb up since I was down to her level. Jerry came up and took the camera & did a right nice decent job of filming her on my arm. I decided to try & upload it to youtube. My attempts to upload Roscoe's videos in Jan failed each time after about 5 hours of wasted time waiting for them to finish. This little 45 second video only took 11 hours to upload!! Needless to say there won't be a whole lot of videos from me at this rate. Just think how long I'd be waiting for a full length movie on her to upload~~months!!

I hope this is viewable. It was taken with my new camera & in my files it is clear & in focus. Maybe it is just my slow at times internet, but each time I loaded it from youtube to view it, it was somewhat blurry and not anything like the quality I have on the original. Could be because I have no idea what I am doing when uploading to youtube since this is my first one that has managed to complete. Hope it works out & isn't too bad to view.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Pinkbirdy
06-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Shes cute with your hair :) [must think that's your feathers] .Looks to be settling well in with you!! So lucky [in one way] that you don't have to worry about her flying off.:)

Debra
06-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Love the video! She's so pretty.

Honesty
06-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Great video De'Andrea. She is adorable. You are very brave having her up on your shoulder :)

Birdzee
06-08-2013, 09:08 PM
The video was great.. Came out just fine. Ruby Jewel was admiring your pony tale..:th_LOL:

Blancaej
06-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Great video De! She looks so comfortable! I'm glad things are going well. I know videos take forever to upload! But we're glad you did! :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Turquoise
06-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone.

Terri, it is a pleasure not to have to fight with a harness & get to take her out anytime I want to just walk out the door. There's no way I'd ever attempt to do that with Roscoe or Leyla Belle! Their wings are clipped, but in our Texas winds they would be up up & away in a flash. Neither one will let me put the harness on them anymore. So, after hubby gets all this other remodeling done, we will be building a wired in patio area in the front yard off my new bedroom. And I want one off my back door. These are to be used only when I can be out with them, not for caging purposes. I hope to glass in the front yard one day so it can be used in winter also. Then the 'Harness No~Nos will get to come out too. :th_chickendance:

Wendy, Ruby Jewel rarely gets to be on my shoulder. She must have been allowed on her breeder's shoulder. When she first came home that is where she headed every time I took her out. I wouldn't allow her up there until she & I were in agreement that she had to accept my terms of life with me. She doesn't try to get on my shoulder very often anymore. I think she was a little scared & felt comfort being up there outside.

Thanks Debra. She is my dream bird & I have not regretted one minute of making my dream come true. I'd always loved the looks of macaws and everything I read about living with them, good & bad. So when I decided to keep large parrots again I decided I would fulfill my desire to have the big boys & girl.:th_biggrin:

Thanks Maddie. I was hoping it was just my internet causing it to load slowly when I tried to view it.

Thanks Blanca, I just thought it was due to my internet going in & out of roaming so much. I have one more from yesterday I may upload next time I'm off. Tomorrow night I go back to work, so I don't really want to spend my last night of freedom fretting over another 11 hrs or worse of video uploading!

plax
06-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Very nice video, De'Andrea. It's great to finally see Ruby Jewel in motion :)

BTW, I wrapped video tags around the URL for you so it would imbed in your post... it makes it a bit easier for people to view. And I think the reason it's blurry for you on playback is because by default YouTube detects your connection speed and quality and then auto-sets the video playback resolution. That auto feature probably knocked your playback down to the lowest quality option, hence the blurriness. If you click on the small gear icon at the bottom strip of the player applet, you'll get a pop-up menu that allows you to select the resolution quality you want. If I were you I would put that at 360p and then watch your video again. It will likely take longer to load at that level but it should clear up the blurriness significantly.

It's really nice that you posted the vid! I'm so happy that Ruby Jewel is getting along so well :D

Blancaej
06-08-2013, 11:39 PM
I don't blame you De'Andrea! The one video I uploaded of Quincy I ended up letting it run on my laptop while I went to bed! :th_sleeping3: I woke up in the night, checked it, it was done and I shut it off. I really wish it wasn't that much of a pain to upload vidoes! LOL!

Turquoise
06-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Ahhh, thanks Tony. I'm not up on how to get videos on here in the box like you did it. Can you explain how I go about doing that the next time I put one on here? Photos are a snap. I've been posting them for a long time now, but this is my very first video on a forum. I tried a bit of editing this morning on the thing & that took another 3 hrs. to finish uploading and it changed the link which threw me off til I ferreted it out & finally figured out why when I put the original link in it kept telling me the video was unavailable. I saw the gear icon you mention & found it to be the place to change the quality. I tried to change it to see which one would be the best, but in the end youtube chose the one it is on now. I got tired of waiting so darn long for anything I did to the video to upload that I left it as is so I could use it finally!!

Blanca, I did the same thing. I had it uploading on my desktop & used my laptop to do other things. I got tired of fretting over it & went to bed for awhile. Sometimes my internet drops out completely due to whatever weather affects it & if it had done that I would have lost all those hours of waiting. If only videos were as simple to upload as photos!:th_faint:

plax
06-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Ahhh, thanks Tony. I'm not up on how to get videos on here in the box like you did it. Can you explain how I go about doing that the next time I put one on here?I saw your duplicate post update there, De'Andrea ;)

To embed the videos in the message body, either use the following syntax:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
(you can leave off the "=youtube;mKiAry2aEzM" part within the first set of square brackets... the software will add that part automatically. Just put the word "video" between square brackets. And then put "/video" at the other end, also between square brackets.)

Or, click the 'Insert Video' button on the toolbar and paste the URL in the field that pops up. Either way should work.

Turquoise
06-09-2013, 02:08 AM
OK, it is actually like when you put the square brackets & IMG on photos at each end. I was looking at the tool bar after you mentioned you added them. I clicked on the video icon and was wondering if that was what I needed before you told me how.

Thanks for the info Tony. When I get another one uploaded...one day, I will use it.

Yeah, it duplicates as it chooses to, but it is easy to remedy for me now. :th_biggrin:

plax
06-09-2013, 03:02 AM
OK, it is actually like when you put the square brackets & IMG on photos at each end. I was looking at the tool bar after you mentioned you added them. I clicked on the video icon and was wondering if that was what I needed before you told me how.

Thanks for the info Tony. When I get another one uploaded...one day, I will use it.

Yeah, it duplicates as it chooses to, but it is easy to remedy for me now. :th_biggrin:Yes, that's exactly the way to do it, De'Andrea.

Glad to help :). And I'm happy the duplicates are easier to fix now.

Mare
06-09-2013, 03:13 AM
After all the pain, your video is awesome! Thank you! I may have missed why Miss Ruby can't fly? Was she born with a defect? She is beautiful!

Turquoise
06-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks Mare. No Ruby Jewel was not born with a defect. Her breeder told me when she was one day old the male Green Wing bit the folding part of her left wing off. It is what I call the flappy part and what is left is what would be considered the elbow down to the shoulder. She has a few 'wild feathers' that grow because of it close to the bit off area. She barbered the first one off two days after she came home. In the last week she has had another one lower down start growing. So far she hasn't barbered it and I will trim it if she leaves it alone once it is out of the blood feather stage. I could pull it, but I try not to if I can help it. The wild feathers rub against her breast area and she doesn't like that.

Angel, my oldest male Catalina was born with birth defects to his legs and wings. He has extra calcification in the leg and wing joints. At least that is how the vet explained it to me once I convinced her I did not beat him til he couldn't stand and she took x-rays of the wings. He will never be able to fly either and he is not able to perch normally on a limb. He can climb with the best of them and he has the calmest, sweetest personality. He enjoys life to the fullest despite his disabilities.

noblemacaw
06-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Thank you for working so hard to upload that video. I wish it was easier for you to upload so we could see more actions of your flock. I like making videos of my birds but my camera is a 2004 model and although quality at the time now it is just behind the times. I hate the sound of the lens going in and out during the more quiet videos. Sounds like Valentino is making weird noises. LOL.