PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use AviCalm?

Mare
06-08-2013, 05:59 PM
A couple weeks ago, Sassy was going through a plucking, barbering, highly agitated, aggressive period and my husband researched, on line and discovered AviCalm, he ordered it, I wasn't even home he told me what he did after I got home. Anyways, her 'period' seems to have ended and she's pretty much back to normal.

The AviCalm came in the mail only yesterday. Has anyone here used this for your birds? Do you notice a calming difference? Do you use it consistently or only when you think they need it? I'm really wondering if it works. Thanks for any feedback!

Blancaej
06-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately I've never heard of it. Could you call your vet and ask them. Maybe someone else on the forum will know more and shed some light. Good luck!

spiritbird
06-08-2013, 09:13 PM
I have a friend who used this with a plucking grey and it did not seem to make any difference. It may depend on the reason for plucking.

Mare
06-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Blanca, good suggestion, I'll call my vet on Monday. :).
Dianne, I don't know why she does this. When I brought her into our home she was semi-plucked but she allowed herself to grow back. This past winter she started up again, I know it can just be a habit for some but it is disturbing, I have to say. She doesn't do it continuously, just off and on. When she is in this mood, she can also be agitated and a bit aggressive.

I looked up this AviCalm and it is a nutritional supplement with the same properties found in Green Tea. It's non-sedating, non-toxic and can't be over-dosed. They recommend using it with another supplement called Featherrific. I think I'll try it just not sure if its supposed to be used continuously or periodically?

Turquoise
06-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Never used it. Read something once about it on a forum, but CRS has crept in since then & darned if I can't remember if it helped the OP with their bird.

headfeathermistress
06-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Ask the company? is it the bird care co? I like them and use their cleaners and a couple suppliments

JerseyBella
06-08-2013, 11:25 PM
I use it. I have also had great success with it in conjunction with featherific. Don't was to jinx it, but 1 is now fully feathered for over a year now. 1 is growing them back. 1 is full of new blood feathers. 1 nothing lol! They were all adopted as pluckers. I have a before and after of Landon. 837 This is when we brought him home in March. 838 This was from this week.

Mare
06-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Ok, wow, that's great Dawn! (no jinx, no jinx) :). I figure it can't hurt Sassy, do you use it in their water or food? Also, do you use it continuously, as in, daily?

JerseyBella
06-08-2013, 11:55 PM
I put the avicalm in their water. The featherific on their food. I stop when they start looking good.

weco
06-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Mare, what's the humidity level in your home.....if it's too dry this is a cause of some bird plucking.....humidity in your home should be at 40%-60% levels.....don't know that's Sassy's problem, but finding the problem is a process of elimination.....

JerseyBella
06-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Mine are seasonal pluckers, according to the Doc :)

Mare
06-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks weco, you have a good point there. Sassy has been with us for one year, this past May. She allowed herself to settle down, without plucking, until around October last year. The fireplace was coming into use around that time. Amigo gets sinusy once the fireplace comes into use due to the dryness. I brought out the humidifier and kept a pot of water on the wood stove,through that time. I don't know what to think, if she settles down from now till October, maybe it has to be due to humidity?! We use swamp box in the heat of summer, this equals moist air, we'll see how it goes.

If her mood starts up again, Dawn, I'll get her going on the AviCalm. I think I'll order up the Featherrific, too.
Thanks!

weco
06-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Since you use a 'swamp box,' do you regularly clean it of mold ? ? ?

Those systems are subject to relatively fast mold growth if not cleaned on a regular (sometimes weekly is necessary) basis with a mold/mildewcide.....if you remember Legionnaires disease, it was in a large commercial swamp unit installed at the Bellevue Stafford Hotel in Philadelphia where that was first discovered and traced to mold origin.....

Mare
06-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Gosh, I don't know?! My husband maintains these things and seems to do a wonderful job at it. He's out of town at the moment but when he returns I'll be sure to have this question on my list! Thanks weco!

weimerheimer
06-24-2013, 05:10 PM
I have never used AviCalm personally. This product is made/sold by AVITECH. I have used, and LOVE, their AviClean product. If AviCalm works half as good as AviClean that would be awesome!

Here's a link to AVITECH: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

This company makes tons of pet bird related items.