PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop a bleeding nail?

Mare
06-08-2013, 12:41 AM
I was cutting Amigo's nails and he jerked, I went a bit too deep and I couldn't believe how much blood!! You would have thought I cut it clean off! Anyway, I held pressure to it, without much success and remembered something I heard a while back about a bleeding, from the root, feather. Flour was what I remembered, put flour on it! So I ran and got a spoon full of flour and dunked Amigo's nail in it, it worked!

Has anyone ever heard of that? What do you all use in case of this happening to your bird? I worked for a vet, a hundred years ago, and we had styptic sticks to stop bleeding from cutting too close on dogs nails. I know that stuff hurts them like hell but it worked for them, would this be advisable to use on birds?

ShellyBorg
06-08-2013, 01:01 AM
I use styptic sticks, its fast and easy. Yes it hurts but so does the nerve in the toe. Flour works, I have even had to place a wood burning iron and cauterize a toe before. Spirit will let me flip him up side down and apply pressure for a long time.

Mare
06-08-2013, 01:10 AM
Wow, Shelly! What a strong, brave gal you are! Cauterize a toe?! Awesome!

Blancaej
06-08-2013, 01:32 AM
If flour works go with it! Its at least something your almost guaranteed to have around! Good quick thinking on your part Mare! :D

Shelly - wow don't know if I could have done that! :eek:

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ShellyBorg
06-08-2013, 01:50 AM
When you have blood flying and a bird screaming you do what you have to do. The poor bird had to be wrapped in a towel and held upside down while we waited for it to heat up. It worked fast and other then a yell the bird was fine when we flipped him back over just seconds after I burned it.

Mare
06-08-2013, 02:01 AM
Hey Shelly, off topic, how are your plans for Max shaping up? Are they still on?

ShellyBorg
06-08-2013, 02:08 AM
I need to call them and make sure. On my end 100% I have the bird room ready and I found a huge 7' by 4' by 3' cage that even if he does not need it it will make a great play yard! I have been so busy with fixing things and end of the school year madness I have not called but I will tomorrow.

Turquoise
06-08-2013, 02:09 AM
Cornstarch can be used also when a toe nail or beak tip bleeds. I have used cornstarch on Angel when he fell while I was at work & came home to a good amount of blood in his enclosure. It stopped it until he raked it across something. I did make a fast 65 mile trip to the vet, but that turned out to be more of a nightmare than his beak they were not even concerned about. Yes, it was an avian vet, the only one available to me unfortunately!

I did consider using my wood burning tool to cauterize it, but I didn't want to hurt him. If I'd known the vet would do more damage to him than it would have, I would have gladly done it to stop the bleeding.

spiritbird
06-08-2013, 01:30 PM
If I need to I use cornstarch also. It works instantly.

aliray
06-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I also use cornstarch and then pressure on the nail and that stops it quickly and doesn't hurt the bird like syptic does

jtbirds
06-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Cornstarch, flour, styptic sticks or powder, they now make a gel that is numming as well and doesn't hurt apparently, quik stop makes it. Ice apparently can stop it as well, and pressure of course.

I had an expirence like Shelly's but it was with a broken beak that wouldn't stop and yes I had to cauterize it, but that is defiantly the last thing to do if you can't get it to stop.