PDA

View Full Version : Rope Perches

tiffnmango
06-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I don't know if anyone else has ever had any issues with these kind of perches, but I had a friend who's conure lose an entire toenail due to their toenail getting caught in the rope and the parrot freaking out. The vet said there's even a chance the conure may never get the nail back! I couldn't imagine how painful it must have been for the little guy.

Lee11
06-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Wow..Rico has one of these he usually sits on at night (for some reason that is his preferred evening perch). Maybe if they get a little old or the bird pulls at them they could loosen the knots enough to cause issues. Definitely worth keeping an eye on. Other than that birds seem to love them....

Blancaej
06-07-2013, 02:21 PM
That is terrible Tiffany! I know that cotton rope can be a dangerous to birds. Birds should be supervised when playing with cotton rope. The best rope to use is Sisal rope. You need to also make sure when buying sisal rope that is just sisal rope and nothing else. Some manufacturers add other fibers to the sisal rope. I found some sisal rope at home depot the other day and it actually said 100% all natural sisal rope. So that's what you should look for.

Honesty
06-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Thankyou for letting us know about this Tiffany.

The rope perch I have for Codie is sisal and so far, there are no threads pulled out on it.

ShellyBorg
06-07-2013, 03:40 PM
I have a couple cotton rope perches and I pull them out weekly when I drag cages out to be hosed off. I spend a couple min. going over them with a pair of nail clippers making sure I get any lose strings and that they look safe. As with any toy we have to pull stuff out of cages and really take a good look at them for safety. I had a wood perch a couple years ago split on the back side and Widget got her nail caught in it. Luck was with us and it was only a moment and she was free way before I reached the cage with no damage.

mrgoogls
06-14-2013, 10:17 PM
cooper has a cotton perch and it is his favorite. that's where he sleeps too. you just have to make sure there are no strands coming lose and no little loops.

Mare
06-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Amigo and Sassy both have rope perches, they are the ones with metal wire inside. Amigo kills his rather quickly and I'll wrap them with vet wrap tape, just to keep them around for a while longer. So far, it's working pretty well.

plax
06-14-2013, 11:59 PM
It's not just the visible strand loops to be concerned about... as the cotton ropes age and are repeatedly flexed, the twist-binds will loosen up. This can allow toenails to more easily slip into the strand clusters and sometimes become snagged. Salsa just loves to have a hanging cotton rope in his cage to swing from. But I always remove it when I leave the house, then put it back in his cage once I return. He's caught his toenails in cotton ropes before. Allowing this hazard to exist is definitely something to avoid!

Turquoise
06-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Roscoe loves to swing on his ropes. He kills them and plays with them more than any other toy he has, but he thinks he's a winged monkey anyway. He has never gotten snagged on one yet, but I do have to chech them for wear as much as he chews & plays on them.

Thank you Tiffany for bringing this to everyone's attention. It is always better to check all our fiddie's toys before an accident happens.:thanks4sharingthumb

Blancaej
06-15-2013, 04:40 PM
I am going away for a few of days and I took all sisal rope out of my birdies cages. I didn't want to take any chances while I'm gone. I know sisal rope is supposed to be better, but rope is rope!

Blackhawk007
06-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Thankyou for letting us know about this Tiffany.

The rope perch I have for Codie is sisal and so far, there are no threads pulled out on it.

I have a lot of rope items for my little ones. Most of them I made from manila. In my experience manila and sisal seem to be a better choice because it is more brittle than cotton. I enhance this characteristic by soaking my rope and then drying it under high heat in my dryer making it even more brittle. Then if there are any issues the strands will break before they cause any harm. The draw back has been the maintenance since the fibers don't last as long as cotton. But I personal feel that the added work is well worth their safety.