PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Stories

weco
06-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Not sure if this is where this should go, but none of the other forums seemed to fit the bill.....

Anyone have a bird that is/was a true rescue...not just a re-home story, birds that have been taken from dangerous, life threatening situations?

Here's a light one.....from a friend back in November.....

My daughter was working third shift & gets home after midnight and this week the temperatures have been nippy, in the 30s when she gets home. Well, the other night she pulls in & noticed a cage by one of the dumpsters, but didn't think much of it, until she saw something move it it and walked that way, to see what was in it. Somebody had left a parakeet out there. Only thing in the cage was the perch, no food or water, so she brought the cage in & woke me up because we have other birds & she was thinking about disease, gave it some water & went to bed.

When I got up at 11 am (I enjoy my pillow cuddling time), I went to check on him. She had fed and watered him and put clean paper in his cage. He was busy chirping away. I checked him over and he appeared healthy. I set him up in the dining room with a sheet/towel over most of the cage to somewhat isolate him. (I had determined by then he was a he.)

Later that day I made an appointment with the vet as I had noticed some tail bobbing. On Monday he went to the vet and was found to have a mild form of air saculitis. His gram stains were fine. His air saculitis was probably caused by exposure to gas fumes in the parking lot. He would have died had my daughter not rescued him.

Daughter had named him Manchester because he responded to it, but I had trouble getting all of that out, just to talk to him, so the vet changed his name to Manny.

The next checkup was all clear and he was given a clean bill of health. Manny has a companion now whose name is Skipper. He seems to love it here in the dining room, has adapted to the chaos, and chirps and sings to us all day long.

I do not regret my daughter’s actions one bit, though she did post notices around her apartment complex about the found bird, but nobody responded.

Blancaej
06-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Cool story! Thank goodness she saved that little parakeet! Sounds like he was a great addition to their family! :thanks4sharingthumb

jtbirds
06-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Great story weco! I'm sure I can come up with one in the near future;).

Turquoise
06-07-2013, 04:18 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] isn't it so awesome when something so tiny as a little parakeet finds a guardian angel just when he needed it!!:th_hug8: That is truly a rescue story hard to beat. :th_heart:

I have never had a true rescue bird. I have had re-homes that were cage bound because the previous owners feared them, but not a true *Do or die* rescue. :thanks4sharingthumb