PDA

View Full Version : Off-Gassing

weco
06-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Do you let your birds perch on your flat screen TV or monitor ? ? ?

There has been some recent tidbits of information that I have read about. A few veterinarians hypothesizing about the possibility of these devices causing heavy metal poisoning via the fumes rising through the vent holes/slits on the top of these devices. There is also the venting of fumes from heated polymers (plastics). Apparently birds have been necropsied, been found to have heavy metals in their bodies, with no apparent source.....

Do you ever smell a light, or maybe not so light, electric/electronic or other odor while you TV and/or other electronic equipment is on? What has piqued your olfactory senses is off-gassing/out-gassing of something.....

TVs contain Copper, Gold, Lead, Mercury, Silver, Tin, Zinc along with several exotic metals and various polymers, all of which have the theoretical potential to affect our feathered friends sitting on a TV & being surrounded by this off-gassing/out-gassing before it is dissipated.....

For those who prefer data that is more than anecdotal, I've not yet found it, but from an engineering standpoint, the possibility is strong, but I can't speak to a medical consideration/theory...then, there is the question of cooked poop...droppings falling through the vent slits & being slowly baked.....

Nonetheless, I no longer allow my birds to perch on my TV/monitor combination or two flat-screen monitors...the laptops I'm not concerned with, because the screen unit is the only thing in there, other than the connecting wires.....

For those of you who stress over postings like this, just keep your birds off of venting electronic equipment, TVs & monitors.....easy solution, or you can choose to adopt the rationalization of the Ptarmigan (sort of prairie chicken).....they have this idea that if they can't see you, you can't see them.....the proverbial ostrich with its head in the sand.....

alnoble89
06-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Lexi blew a tv up with her poo so mine are not allowed near the tv's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

plax
06-06-2013, 04:56 PM
I agree with you, weco. Your post is certainly valid, as well as potentially important to the health of our feathered family members.

In my case, I've never allowed my guys to perch on TV or video monitors. Moreover, most of my electronic gear is older stuff, which has resulted in the out-gassing aromas diminishing to a point of being undetectable. The only device I currently have that emits an electric odor when powered on is my new Bissell vacuum cleaner. My birds never sit on that, though ;). In fact, Zaf is absolutely terrified of it!

Blancaej
06-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Weco - I think that is a very good point as well. I don't let my birds perch on TV's or any electronics for that matter. Just the fact that it is electrical makes me nervous let a lone the possibility of gases being emitted! Thanks for the post!

josiesmom
06-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Ok, maybe I'm confused, but how does poo blow up a tv?

plax
06-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Ok, maybe I'm confused, but how does poo blow up a tv?If it drops through the air vent slots on the device and happens to make contact with the circuitry and/or the wiring connections it may possibly short the traces and components, thus ruining the circuits.

alnoble89
06-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Yep I'm am afraid of plugging stuff up and electrical in general. However when that tv started popping and I saw my baby on it I grabbed her. I had no idea she was on the tv. She did this when she first learned to fly. It was an ancient tv so it was in need of replacing. That was enough to teach new no birdies on electronics. Ever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Turquoise
06-07-2013, 04:07 AM
I too do not allow any of my birds on my electrical equipment. My big kids would turn them into very expensive chew toys.:th_hehe: Two of my macaw's play perches are located on either side of my computer table, but they are definitely not allowed on the table or monitors!

I know what you are talking about with the odd smell coming from certain items when first turned on, I have smelled it from things over the years. My computer stuff does not seem to have said smell, so I don't think mine are in any danger from being so close. My reason for having the perches by my computer is, that is the only place I sit when I am still when home and Roscoe & Ruby Jewel both love being right there to capture my attention. :th_LOL: