PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Abesdad
06-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I am not even sure if this is the right way to post but here it goes. My now ex-fiancee moved out about 6 weeks ago (and moved to Philly with her boyfriend) She left me with a lot of bills and a young blue and gold. He likes me well enough but I don't know much about these birds. I read as much as I could, I know they are naturally LOUD but I work nights. He feels that he is entitled to my attention as soon as I get home, but that's when I need to sleep. Any advise, or do I need to change shifts, lol

Honesty
06-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Hello David and :pp_welcome:Thankyou for joining us and you will find some great advice here!

We have several macaw owners here and I am sure they will be able to give you some great tips.

We would love to see some pics of Abe:)

Debra
06-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Welcome David. I, too, would like to see pics of Abe. Sorry I can't be of any help as my biggest bird is an Eclectus. I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise you.

Momto3boys
06-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi David and welcome to PP.

Do you go right to bed as soon as you get home? What I would do is get him lots of foraging toys to keep him busy and lots of shreddables, and wood toys. When you get home from work, take him out. Prepare him some breakfast while hes hanging out with you, fill his foraging toys with lots of nuts, and yummy stuff like Nutriberries. After you fill his cage and he had plenty to do to keep him busy, I would then go to sleep myself. Even give him a shower if you have the chance. When you wake up, take him out with you. Does he have a seperate play area or a play top on hiscage? I would keep him out until its time for you to go back to work.

Also leave a TV or something on for him while you're sleeping. A radio, anything at all.

A busy bird is a happy bird. So just make sure he has lots to do when hes in his cage. Hes like a toddler, remember. So hes excited to see you when you get home. Set a routine and he'll get used to it in no time.

Abesdad
06-04-2013, 02:47 PM
foraging toys? ok I am going to google now.
Hi David and welcome to PP.

Do you go right to bed as soon as you get home? What I would do is get him lots of foraging toys to keep him busy and lots of shreddables, and wood toys. When you get home from work, take him out. Prepare him some breakfast while hes hanging out with you, fill his foraging toys with lots of nuts, and yummy stuff like Nutriberries. After you fill his cage and he had plenty to do to keep him busy, I would then go to sleep myself. Even give him a shower if you have the chance. When you wake up, take him out with you. Does he have a seperate play area or a play top on hiscage? I would keep him out until its time for you to go back to work.

Also leave a TV or something on for him while you're sleeping. A radio, anything at all.

A busy bird is a happy bird. So just make sure he has lots to do when hes in his cage. Hes like a toddler, remember. So hes excited to see you when you get home. Set a routine and he'll get used to it in no time.

Momto3boys
06-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Foraging toys can be anything at all.
You can buy some or you can make some.

I have a stainless steel bucket that I use for Elliot. Every night when I put him to bed I fill it with foot toys, nuts, nutriberries, anything at all really. Its the first thing he heads for when he comes out to his play gym in the morning. You can get a toilet paper or paper towel roll, put sticks or anything through it but put nuts, etc all throughout it. The sticks will keep it in place. You can just randlomly set nuts or toys all over his cage. I will hide some in their existing toys sometimes. Just setting a nut here or there.

Paper, they love paper. Hang an old telephone book and he'll shred it to pieces.
Good luck in your search, Im sure you will come up with lots of interesting things.

plax
06-04-2013, 03:21 PM
foraging toys? ok I am going to google now.Hi David... I was writing my reply below as Brandy was replying to you. What she said is right on point, but I'll post what I wrote anyway.

Foraging toys are various toys and structures in which pieces of food and other bird-safe objects can be placed and often hidden, thus presenting a challenge to a bird to find and/or gain access to them. It's like a game where they are rewarded for their success. You should be able to find various foraging toys/devices at many parrot accessory stores. You can also make them yourself if you're somewhat creative. Just always be sure the materials you use are bird-safe ones.

Momto3boys
06-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Yes...I guess I forgot to add parrot safe stuff!!! Ooops.

plax
06-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Yes...I guess I forgot to add parrot safe stuff!!! Ooops.No problem... your suggestions were great :)

Abesdad
06-04-2013, 04:01 PM
thank you...soon

Abesdad
06-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Thank you, I feel like a single father with a very bold baby.. I will post pics soon

Abesdad
06-04-2013, 04:13 PM
On top of his cage is a real issue, he goes up and goes right to the back! so far the record is 1 hour and 5 bites. I got a bird stand but he is a brat when he is on it. I just ordered 5 toys online. I don't know where she got them before. I tried the TV ( I know this sounds dumb) but it seems to really stimulate him- way too much. He's been tough for the last 6 weeks. I know he misses her, but she has no interest in taking him.

Momto3boys
06-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Im so glad you're taking the time to educate yourself and take on this beautiful boy....I too have a male B&G....he literally is my baby. I cant wait to see pics of your boy :th_heart:

Momto3boys
06-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Thats sad that she just walked away from him....he is acting out. You're right, he is missing her but he will come around. All my birds are rehomes so I know about the bites, the best thing is so is stick train.....get him used to stepping up onto a perch.

I cant stress enough to be positive, positive, positive. He will pick up on it.
Im sorry if I missd it, but how old is he?

spiritbird
06-04-2013, 06:51 PM
If you have time try to get the book Parrots for Dummies. It is a wonderful resource with lots of excellent basic parrot information. Areas of concentration for you to learn are bird safety, nutrition, socialization, annual avian vet exams. and overall parrot enrichment.
Parrots naturally sleep at dark for about 10-12 hours of darkness. That is hard wired into their brains. Working at night could present some problems for this bird unless you have someone else there that would spend time with him in the light of day. We are all here for your questions an concerns.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ummies&keywords=parrot+for+dummies&ie=UTF8

Turquoise
06-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi David & welcome to the forum. Oh boy, you do have your hands full, but it is not impossible to handle. You are doing great so far, especially in seeking help & googling all these new word we are throwing at you. Everyone has already given you excellent advice already.

What I can tell you is what it is like to work nights & keep large bird! I too work at night 4 on & 4 off, 12 hr. shifts, I have a 100 mile round trip to drive each work night & moring & I have 3 macaws, 1 Eclectus, 1 green Cheek Conure & 10 budgies. It's workable once you get your boy into a routine of how it is going to be. Brandy gave you excellent advice with a workable schedule of out time & plenty to do in his cage. Your rough spots are going to be getting him from the bratty, mad boy he is right now to the accepting you as his new favorite person and your schedule.

My Catalina Roscoe acts more like a B&G since one of his parents was one. he is an impish brat often, not to mention he will be 2 yrs. old in Sept. and it is natural for him to be coming into his terrible twos like human kids do. When I get home in the morning I let all 3 macaws out on their respective play perches. Roscoe & Ruby Jewel have to ride on my arm to their perches, I don't keep theirs by their enclosures. Angel has leg disabilities & can't stand, so i push his to his open door & he has the choice to come out if he wants. My Eclectus has her play perch in front of her door & she comes & goes in her cage. Mine are out about 1 1/2 hrs in the morning while I fix their foods. Then they are put back in & I get ready for my *nap*. That is usually around 9:00am & I am back up either at 1:30pm or 2:00pm. I take them all out again fro the 1 1/2 hrs while i get ready for work. They all go back in when i leave at 3:30pm.

Roscoe, Angel & Leyla Belle adjusted to the schedule very well & fast. I added Ruby Jewel just recently & it took her about 2 weeks to really get the hang of how I did things. She is an 8 month old Green Wing & she was spoiled by her breeder to be out all day long until bed time. the first week she thought I was the meanest owner she could have ever been given to. Now she is totally cool with it all & would still love to stay out all day, but knows she can't. Now, there are days when Roscoe & Angel are very loud & noisy & my bedroom is on the other side of their enclosure for now. hose days are hard to sleep, but I have my new bedroom almost ready to move into & it will be far enough away from them that it will work.

I wished I had time enough to write more, but it is time to put the feathered kids up & head out the door for work. Good luck & if you would like at anytime to find out more about my experience with a night work schedule & big birds, please feel free to send me a personal message.

josiesmom
06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear how you became the proud new guardian of a b&g but happy you are ready for the challenge. Are you in NEPA? Your profile said Abington area? Is that new Clark's summit? If so, I'm not far from there so I can try to help you if you want. Let me know.

Abesdad
06-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Yes I am, Josies mom..lol I guess my mane wasn't so stupid. Do you train birds? I saw the school pics.

Abesdad
06-05-2013, 03:14 AM
annual avian vet exams! I have called every vet for 50 sq miles. NO one knows birds. Sadly the best I could locally is a farm vet. The search goes on.

Abesdad
06-05-2013, 03:20 AM
I agree it is a bummer and neither one of us saw it coming. lol I know he misses her, I am trying to be positive but it can be trying. I tried the perch thing out of necessity not intelligence, it worked but he made it up my arm and made a break for my shoulder. Cute side note the first thing he ever said to me was "NO!"

plax
06-05-2013, 07:16 AM
David: go here [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] and select 'avian' and then indicate your area to search for a board certified avian vet. If nothing turns up then go here [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] to search for an AAV affiliated avian vet near you.

Abesdad
06-05-2013, 12:07 PM
plax I did what you said, the nearest avian vet is 123 miles from my location.

plax
06-05-2013, 12:44 PM
plax I did what you said, the nearest avian vet is 123 miles from my location.Hi David... was this vet on the ABVP list or the AAV list?

josiesmom
06-05-2013, 01:11 PM
David, is that the one in the Allentown/bethlehem area? We used to have one in our area but he got sick and retired :-( so we have to travel to the vet now.

Abesdad
06-05-2013, 03:12 PM
aav but I tried both.

Abesdad
06-05-2013, 03:12 PM
yes Anita

plax
06-05-2013, 06:26 PM
That makes it pretty rough, David. You may want to make the 123 mile trip if Abe ever demonstrates signs of a serious medical complication. And it would be good to get him an initial checkup at some point as well. For urgent matters you'll likely have to rely upon small animal vets in your area. It might be a good idea for you to meet and contact other bird owners near you to learn who they are using for a bird vet. Check with bird rescue facilities and/or bird stores in your area for recommendations. Best of luck with all of that.

spiritbird
06-05-2013, 07:02 PM
This may go against the mainstream but I think there are many vets that are very good with birds that are not certified avian. I have gone to two of them and had no problems. You may want to check around with the other members from PA and ask around.

spiritbird
06-05-2013, 07:10 PM
OK I made some phone calls for you and found an animal hospital that has a vet who takes care of birds. His name is Dr. Gerstenfeld and here is the link [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] Phone number is 215-836-2950. This should be much closer for you.

:th_yah:

plax
06-05-2013, 07:31 PM
That was so nice of you to do for David, Dianne. Thanks so much!

Blancaej
06-05-2013, 08:52 PM
David - Thanks for taking the time to learn how to care for your ex's b&g like this. Owning a macaw is so rewarding! I hope that you can form a relationship with him and be good buddies. I look forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck and as always, keep asking questions. There is so much knowledge on this forum!

Rescued
06-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Another option is to start clicker training Abe. I know from experience that men don't think like birds. lol Teaching step up and coming from the cage has been a problem for my B and G as well. I used to have to tempt with almonds to step onto the playstand then onto my arm. It was trying at times, and she does still occasionally decide that she would rather do whatever she wants. If I leave her "loose" on her cage and leave to sit down, she will get on the floor and find me. I adopted her from a bad situation, she is somewhere in her 20's and has some issues, but with time and patience she has come a long way. I'm sure that you can work on things with Abe, if you do realize that you really don't want to have a parrot in your life, be sure to take the steps to re-home him into a great home. You seem like the kind of guy to take a stab at it, good luck with him, its nice to see someone doing the work.

Abesdad
06-11-2013, 01:40 PM
That makes it pretty rough, David. You may want to make the 123 mile trip if Abe ever demonstrates signs of a serious medical complication. And it would be good to get him an initial checkup at some point as well. For urgent matters you'll likely have to rely upon small animal vets in your area. It might be a good idea for you to meet and contact other bird owners near you to learn who they are using for a bird vet. Check with bird rescue facilities and/or bird stores in your area for recommendations. Best of luck with all of that.
There are not many bird people in my area, I did try a few pet stores. A few have birds, but they claim they are rescues and don't really deal in them. Honestly the birds they have don't look as happy as Abe.

Abesdad
06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
This may go against the mainstream but I think there are many vets that are very good with birds that are not certified avian. I have gone to two of them and had no problems. You may want to check around with the other members from PA and ask around.
I tried that..... again not to helpful.

Abesdad
06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
I appreciate that, but it's about 132 miles
OK I made some phone calls for you and found an animal hospital that has a vet who takes care of birds. His name is Dr. Gerstenfeld and here is the link [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] Phone number is 215-836-2950. This should be much closer for you.

:th_yah: