PDA

View Full Version : Well Monte has developed an issue

94lt1
06-04-2013, 08:21 AM
He has some form of a round cyst or something on the very upper area of the white skin of his right eye..right at the feather growth line..just sprang up. .

So he has a vet appointment Saturday at 9:45..pic to follow
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Very upper right hand corner of the pic..sorry its hard to see...

Turquoise
06-04-2013, 08:56 AM
I really can't see it well enough on this small phone screen to even venture a guess. It must happen fairly often on the macaw bare patches.

On a group page I have on FB two of the members asked about the same kind of thing. Neither person found out what it was as far as I know & they didn't say any more about it. So I don't know what caused theirs either to help you with it. Sorry I'm just not much help today.

Momto3boys
06-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I cant really see it either but I hope everything will be okay :th_hug8:

plax
06-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Brandon: Many years ago Jack developed one of those on his cere between his nares. It was basically a white dome-shaped bump, about the same color as the surrounding skin. I'd say it was probably 4 or 5 millimeters in diameter and relatively soft. It began to diminish in size after several weeks, and was entirely gone in less than 2 months. This was 28 years ago or so... I didn't have a trusted vet at the time, much less an avian vet. Based upon the bump's soft feel, I thought it was probably a fluid-filled cyst and opted to observe it closely. I'm guessing that Monte's bump may be the same thing. I've run across quite a few Macaw owners who've reported similar facial bumps that have gone away on their own.

I'll be hoping for the best possible diagnosis in Monte's case. Please report back with the vet's conclusion..

jtbirds
06-07-2013, 12:05 AM
I didn't think of this when I read this the first time, but tony brought it into my attention. I work with a scarlet, the one you may have heard me refer to as truly aggresive she is a regular behavioral consult for me. She has a few cysts on her face similar to what you and tony both described and they are harmless really just fatty deposits is what this women was told and she uses the same vet as me so I trust it. He said we can remove them but the gas is more of a danger then the bumps themselves. I believe tony is on the right tract and jack, monte and Karmen this scarlet all seem the same.

If you feel the need for the vet to look at him of course do! I hope everything comes back well.

Blancaej
06-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Hope all goes well with Monte tomorrow! But from the sounds of it by Tony & Justin, Monte should be fine. Fingers crossed!

94lt1
06-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Monte is doing well..only a cyst as said..but I didn't want to risk it...

His weigh is better... and his talons and beak are trimmed...

I had a feeling better he cyst was nothing...but its better to be safe than sorry...

jtbirds
06-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Brandon I am so glad to hear that, I assumed that's what it was, but you are right better safe then sorry:)!

Pinkbirdy
06-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Great news :)

noblemacaw
06-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I totally understand that you would of been worried about Monty's eye thing. I have been sort of worried myself with my RFM Valentino developing these little red hard things around his eye ring. At first I tried to "pick" one off but they don't come off. I think this might be normal for a RFM but am still kind of concerned because Valentino is under a year old and I think of the little red bumps as "Older or mature RFM eye freaks" LOL

Here is a picture of what I consider RFM eye zits. When you see it up close it is much more dramatic than in the picture. I always want to pick them off but don't
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]