PDA

View Full Version : Lucy plucking again..

Greenwing
06-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Well yesterday I found 3 feathers on the bottom of her cage this morning 2 more.. She is actually not plucking but barbering her feathers.. .. She has quite a few toys and always seems to be playing.. I shower her everyday for 20 minutes....

Any idea what could cause her to barber her feathers.. I can see plucking as endorphins are released but what stimulation can she get from barbering..???

I'm wondering if she may have mites.. Vet gave her clean bill of health two weeks ago.. But wonder if he missed something...

Thoughts opinions??

jtbirds
06-02-2013, 02:48 PM
It is a habit greenwing, similar to biting our nails they get so used to doing it they just do it. You are not doing anything wrong it is just embedded into her, believe me she is happy and healthy she is just doing what she is so used to doing. As the owner of two pluckers and a barber, and have worked with many many more in rescue I will tell you, you are giving her a life she deserves and nothing less. She is fine it is just something you must live with, when you get a bird that is so used to doing it.

Addiction is addiction wether anything is released to stimulate it and this is how barbering becomes, no endorphines are released but they get so addicted to doing it that it keeps reoccurring at any point in there life they could stop and pick it back up. The same rule applys to them as to a human, once an addict of something always an addict of something.

A few years back I was addicted to mmorpg online and I can still say given the right environment I would probably go back to the addiction, sad I know but it is truly an issue once it has been created.

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Greenwing - I don't know much about barbering our plucking but I agree with Justin. You are giving her the life she deserves. It's not your fault. Keep doing the wonderful things you are doing for her. :th_hug8:

Pinkbirdy
06-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Are you sure its not a big molt ? I have a heartache when Harlow molts [big feathers ,a lot of them ] and she looks like hell !!! If shes plucking try a 180 with her routine .Move her ,change toys [like try cardboard ,pinecones , wyffle balls . Take her different places ,have her eat dinner with you [music] . Keep an eye on it . If it gets real bad a soft meshy collar some of the time .

Greenwing
06-02-2013, 07:47 PM
I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything... She was chain sawing through her toys but seems to have slowed down quite a bit... I have so many toys in her cage it's getting rather crowded.. It's a disappointment she was doing so good...

She doesn't seem to pluck at all.. Most of the feathers I find are barbs.. When I do find a whole feather it was molted naturally...

Just worried they might be mites.. Previous owner had like 7 of those mite cans hanging off the cage... I thoroughly cleaned the cage and spent hours looking at her feathers with no sign... Vet looked quickly and said she was clean..blood work was good..I have her on Harrison and zupreem pellets . She gets a handful of nuts as treats....

Just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can for her..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pinkbirdy
06-02-2013, 08:13 PM
UGGHH!!! I know nothing about mites and birds [those cans would definitely be a red flag]. I just got Harlow a Kabob stick [I spear fruits and vegs through it] she seems to like it . I also do a chop mix with that 12 beans [that you soak] .I feed everyother day and prepare 5 weeks at a time . Harlow was very ill last year and you could really see it in her feathers . Now that shes eating that mix [she looks so good!!!] I think its the beans :) Harlows also taken interest thick ropes and metal bells.

Greenwing
06-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Here are a few pics after her daily shower... You can see some of the barb chest feathers... Also not sure if those short feathers are new feathers emerging or down feathers..

Here is another question.. Are there separate feather follicles for down feathers??

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Pinkbirdy
06-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Oh I see what you mean [I think she is plucking] I think their new feathers [im sure JT knows ] Yes I think their separate follicles for down feathers.

Greenwing
06-03-2013, 12:38 AM
Yet I haven't seen a complete feather that's been plucked except for ones she has molted...

Greenwing
06-03-2013, 01:49 PM
No other thoughts on the picture :(

jtbirds
06-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Sorry greenwing I had plans yesterday and was not able to be on in the afternoon, she looks fine IMO, maybe new feather growth for sure and it looks like if she is barbering it is not majorly or right down to the shaft. I think she is absolutely fine, I'd like to strees those mite cans are horrible and very unsafe for the birds for anyone using them(just though I'd add that, plus they don't truly work)

Nothing towards you greenwing just some advice for future readers!:)

Greenwing
06-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Justin..I agree 100% those mite cans don't do a thing... And since they work by fumigating the area....Prolonged exposure to the chemicals mite have a detrimental
Effect on the bird..

jtbirds
06-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Yep you got it exactly right and many hang them in the cage for whatever reason and then the birds can get at them.. Even worse. Many commercially sold products are not as safe as we wish to think:(

Momto3boys
06-04-2013, 12:58 AM
You mention her pellets and nuts. Does she et lots of veggies and other things as well?

Greenwing
06-04-2013, 01:56 AM
I try to give her fruits and Veggies everyday... But she is not a big fan... She excepts corn, carrots , banana, grapes ,cherries and sweet potatoes....but eats less than a tablespoon.. She prefers her pellets..

jtbirds
06-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Ehh greenwing a few of my birds are like that and honestly you cant do much for that issue just keep reoffering which im sure you do, i think your in the right direction though. Dont worry so much you are doing amazing with lucy and you can tell how much you adore and love her.:)

Turquoise
06-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Of course I can't be sure, but I suspect her previous owner hung the mite cans all over her cage thinking she was 'chewing' her feathers due to mites rather than take her to the vet to be sure. The chemicals in those cans probably help more in irritating her skin & breathing which made her barber her feathers more. This is just my theory on the previous owners care for her.

Like Justin said, once they develop the habit of barbering or plucking it is so hard to completely break the habit. Even after the original reason for starting it has long since been corrected.

Terri has an excellent suggestion of adding even more toys, especially foraging types to keep her too busy to think about over preening which is one way of describing her actions.

If she is going through a heavy molt which is highly possible & it does appear to look that way from your photo to me, the baths/showers are very good as they get super prickly, itchy during these times. That also causes the barbering in some to start again.

Every bird I own is going through a heavy molt right now except Ruby Jewel. Roscoe was on his play perch the other day preening away & a down feather stuck to his beak. He shook his head & bounced around like it was a live varmit attacking him. It was too cute & darn if I didn't have my camera handy at the time.

Some disagree, but I believe macaws need more nuts in their diet &.I include shelled as well as unshelled. I also give mine various different kinds of mixes that include nut meats. Mike do get lots of fresh fruits & veggies and I use frozen fruits & veggies thawed for variety. Mine like the thawed veggies to be slightly cooked before serving. I also make bean mixes & birdy breads like Terri suggested.