PDA

View Full Version : Macaws out and about

josiesmom
06-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Last week we took Josie to school which was a planned and premeditated outting. It went great! Before we left for the school, though, Ben was sure to remind me that many people will be afraid of her and that I need to be very careful so there aren't any mishaps, which there were not. So, today on a whim we decided to take Josie to the pet store. She was great but I was not prepared for the ignorance of some people. I will talk to anyone who has any interest in macaws or birds in general but today, it was like I was bringing in a t-Rex. There were a few who wanted to talk with me or at least admire how pretty she is but there were others who acted like she should not be let out of her cage ever. I'm so disappointed in people. She was totally cute and very happy to be there so it's not like she was acting like an unruley puppy. I've seen dogs in pets stores acting like complete idiots but people still like them. Has anyone else had a similar situation while out with their diss?

jtbirds
06-02-2013, 01:22 AM
Anita every time I am out which is close to every weekend int he spring and summer, I always get rude people. Isn't your house messy, I bet they are loud and your neighbors hate you... Just constant remarks like that.. And o don't get me started when I take my pluckers out, is there something wrong with that bird? Does she hate life? Is she sick? People are people, don't let is discourage you in taking her out, there are many kind souls and loving people that really appreciate what you are doing and I makes your day worth it.

One day I was out and this beautiful girl around my age came up, instantly I tried to be a flirt;), well she wanted to hold birds so I of course allowed her just like anyone else, she held a m2 and just cuddled in and gave her heart to this bird. Her parents came up and thanked me for being so respectful and then told me this has meant the world to her she has been waiting for this all year. That she was being majorly bullied in school and tried to take her life and this moment I created is going to advance in her recovery. I was shocked and so dumbfounded that I swore if it was one thing I could do was keep Doing this no matter how rude people could be just because I can make a difference in a life and you can to.

Hope this can help you stick to it and keep taking Josie out to these programs! It is so worth it believe me, I can share with you all the ignorant horrible stories I have, but I'd rather share the great ones as they far out weigh the bad ones:).

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Anita - You just never know what will come out of peoples mouths! I do hope you continue to take her out. I got Savannah in her harness yesterday and we've been outside a couple of times now. Our school visit is Tuesday! I am hoping to take her out on outings as well at some point. Thanks for posting this, now I can be prepared for what people might do!

Justin - What a great story. I am so glad you shared that. I'm sure you have a lot of bad stories but the good ones are what makes what you do so worth while!

jtbirds
06-02-2013, 01:34 AM
There are times when it gets tough, but I look back at that day and say what I am doing is great and keep on doing it. And Anita will have a day like that to:)

O the bad ones can be funny I will have to share them sometime as I have a smartie pants side to me and I just come back with a quick one, let there jaw hanging and move on lol!

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Gotta love it! I'm sure you are quick with those come backs. Go Justin!

jtbirds
06-02-2013, 01:46 AM
I'm like a boxer quick to the punch! Ha JK, I only joke when I feel the people can take it although sometimes you can misjudge that.

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 01:49 AM
I hear ya! Usually you can tell when people can and if you can't....ooops! :th_embarassed:

jtbirds
06-02-2013, 01:50 AM
Some people are just squares! I tell ya:p yea.. Oops;)

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 01:52 AM
:th_LOL:

josiesmom
06-03-2013, 12:06 AM
I can't think that fast on my feet especially when I have Josie. I'm too nervous about people getting too close and scaring her. Ben is my crowd control plus he is so good at talking in public and making everything about owning a macaw sound so fun. I won't give up because as much as I want her to see more than just the inside of my house, I want people to realize the beauty and brilliance of our feathered friends. :-)

Blancaej
06-03-2013, 12:09 AM
That is great Anita! My daughter can't wait to tell her class all about her birdie brother and sister! :th_biggrin:

josiesmom
06-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Have fun at school. The kids will love seeing them. Please post some pics, too.

Blancaej
06-03-2013, 12:24 AM
I'm sure we will have a great time. I will be sure to post pics!