PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Tube Waterer Question

Carefree Birdee
06-01-2013, 08:28 PM
I am looking to get some of the plastic tube type waterers for my HQ flight cages. In the description of the waterer they say it fits a 1/2" bar space. That is what my HQ cage is. But I am wondering if they really do fit. I would like to know before I buy some so I don't have to send them back.

Do any of you have these types of waterers and use them on an HQ flight cage. Here are pics of the plastic tube waterer and what my flight cages look like.

Thanks for any help. :th_smile:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

jtbirds
06-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Well prefer not to to use those waterers to begin with, birds like to dunk there food and soften it and those kinda restrict that. I'm not sure what kind of bird you are planning to use those on, but other then finches I don't suggest them. I believe with the measurements and such they should fit, I have little experience on using them.

Carefree Birdee
06-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Justin....I should have put the type of birds I was planning on using those waterers for....sorry about that!

I thought those tube waterers would work for Budgies and Canaries.....which I am thinking of starting out with.

But what would be a good choice for anything bigger like a Linnie or a Senegal? When I had a Senegal I had a cage that had the stainless steel bowls that came with. But for the HQ cages I am trying to find what would work best to attach. I don't see myself getting a much bigger parrot...at least in the near future anyways. Being retired and on a limited income I need to plan ahead for purchases. :th_smile:

jtbirds
06-01-2013, 09:32 PM
No need to be sorry:p, I believe for that size you would be ok using the tube waterers but anything lovebird and up i like to use bowls so they can dunk there food, I know it is a mess but it's what they like to do;). I'd suggest stainless steel bowls or ceramic crocks with anything bigger then canary. There are many options of stainless steel like hangers and such you can look into!:)

spiritbird
06-01-2013, 11:28 PM
I have keets now and use a good old stainless steel bowl. Any tube watering system will require lots of work to get them clean. Bottles the same. Food would be ok in that holder.

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 01:10 AM
I find stainless steel bowls are crocks are much easier to use and clean. Let us know what you decide on! :)

Carefree Birdee
06-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks everybody. I think I will look for some of the stainless steel bowls or crocks....they would be much easier to clean even if I have to do it more often to prevent "Parrot Soup" lol.

jtbirds
06-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Changing waters twice a day, once in the morning and once in night is enough even if they make parrot soup. Bacteria will not grow in a few hours I promise;). Just make sure to wash them daily and you should be fine!

alnoble89
06-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Those are neat. My little water bowl bathers wouldn't have it. Plus they are too big in general.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Carefree Birdee
06-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Changing waters twice a day, once in the morning and once in night is enough even if they make parrot soup. Bacteria will not grow in a few hours I promise;). Just make sure to wash them daily and you should be fine!

Okay....thanks for the advice.

Seems most of you bird owners on this forum have the big parrots and here I am thinking small in the way of birds...lol. I will just have to work my way up the ladder. :)

jtbirds
06-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I own small birds to and have owned many small birds in my years!;) haha yea you don't have much to worry about with the dunking, my dads greenwing is an insane dunker it gets like cement thick lol!