PDA

View Full Version : The life of Reptar.

EVanskiver
06-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Good morning all!

Today I have a story to tell, and a question to ask which I hope you can all help me with.

Part 1: How We Met

The day we met Reptar, we were in the local pet store and saw a HUGE macaw cage that she had all to herself. I asked a bit about her and found out that she was just dropped off there by someone. She seemed content and whatnot and I could not afford the price tag they had on her at the time so we went on our way.

About 2 months later I think it was, we went back to the same store to notice the cage was gone, which was a nice knowing that she had gotten a new home. We get what we came for and stop by the bird section to see what they had and there was Reptar, in a hamster type cage being fed pure sunflower seed and her talons growing into the underside of her foot. She was a mess.

On the glass they had a price tag of $400 for her and again, I was not in the place to be able to afford that.

We go out to the car and talk and my SO tells me to go make an offer and see what happens. I went in, and asked a few questions I knew they wouldn't have an answer to (Health, last vet visit, sex, age, etc) and then promptly told them that the bird was in terrible shape and they had no right asking such a high price for a bird they knew nothing about. After they called the manager, I purchased Reptar for $150 and later that week, we went to the vet to get her talons cut and a check up.

Part 2: Life At Home

Ever since getting Reptar it has been a battle. Many vet visits and many bleeding fingers. We have no idea her past, only what has happened since we got her and she seems to be a very mellow bird. For the first few weeks after we got her, she would hang out with me, sit on my shoulder, do some sort of mating dance and just basically chill. Soon she became very bitey and we couldn't get near her without getting bit hard. We backed away and stopped trying to get her to be social and would leave her cage open at times for her to visit and she just would sit inside her cage and come out for very short periods of time before going back in her cage.

For a while we just decided that perhaps she was not a bird that enjoyed being handled. We had also been informed around this time that she was a wild bird that had been caught and brought into captivity based off of her ankle ring. For the last few months, Reptar has chilled in her cage, yelled at the world, said Hi as we walk by and talk with her, and still sits in her cage.

Part 3: The Epiphany

For a few weeks now, a family friend has come by and has hung out with Reptar, and she absolutely LOVES him. She talks with him, cuddles with him, lets him pet her, and all but hops in his pocket to go home with him. There has been talk with my SO that perhaps she would be happier with him rather then us as everything we have tried seems to leave either us bleeding or her still sitting in her cage.

I am well known on the bonding habits of birds and that they bond strongly, however, it just doesn't feel that Reptar has bonded with us. I guess the question I am asking is really just for some advice on the situation. Is her happiness a passing thing, will she turn mean to him like she did us soon after we give her to him? Is there a reason we lose blood and he gets cuddles? I am very confused and torn on the situation, so please, any advice would help greatly.

Thanks,

Edward

Honesty
06-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Hi Eddie.

What a lovely Story. I think it is lovely that you were able to provide Reptar with a good Home and I am sorry he has decide not to bond with you:(

Unfortunately, Amazons can be one person birds, as I very well know with Codie. I can do most things with him :)

If you feel that he would be better off with your friend and will be happy with him, then maybe tell your friend it is on a trial basis to see how it goes. You could still visit him during this time. It does sound like Raptor has chosen your friend.

spiritbird
06-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I know you care from reading your response. We have no control over who a bird will bond with, so I hope you do not take this personally. I suggest you give the bird a try living with this friend for a few months to see how things progress. That way you will still have ownership and can make changes if needed. If you trust this friend all should be ok. If you have any reservations at all I would write up a contract stating your expectations, time frame and what happens to the bird if things do not work out.

Greenwing
06-01-2013, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't give up.. I have a rescued Greenwing.. When we first brought him home he loved me... Actually came out other carrier on the ride home and slept for two hrs snuggled against my chest.. Next morning I went out to pickup some treats for him..when I came back he had moved on... Now he was attached to my wife.. If I get near him he lunges and tries to bite... Wife travels a lot.. Takes about two days after she leaves that he bonds with me again... But as soon as he see her.. We are done..

Give him time and build some trust... He will come around..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

conuremom
06-01-2013, 06:22 PM
I totally 100% agree with Spiritbird's advice. Birds seem to prefer to pick their owners. Get the contract. I would definitely give it a whirl on a trial basis. You sound like a very caring person. Thanks for saving him. His happiness should definitely come first.

Mare
06-01-2013, 07:35 PM
I think it's wonderful of you to rescue this bird from it's situation, very kind. I have to agree that he/she may have chosen someone and if your friend is willing, let him try Raptar out. My umbrella cockatoo, Amigo, went from bonding with his original owner to bonding instantly with my youngest son. Once my son left for university, Amigo bonded with me within a week, thankfully because no one else could handle him, except my son, prior to this. I wish you luck with Raptar, I hope he, and you, find peace.

jtbirds
06-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Wonderful story it brought a smile to my face, everyone's advice has been spot on and I really liked greenwings explanantion of the greenwing he had rescued, it is just a prime example that they pick who they would like to be with, I rescued a red bellied parrot intending for it to be for me(I always had liked the species) and brought it home well I had to keep an eye on her weight for the first few days because the were worryments about her and so on, well this included me having to push her more then I wanted(only did it to ensure her health:() so in the end Billie lost a lot of trust in me and has not really came around to me, loves my father. But the other weekend my dad had Billie on his shoulder, now normally if I walked over she would flutter to the ground and lay on her back completely submissive to me, but this time she stepped up and let me preen her a little and then it was over, but she still made progress and a step in the right direction.

I've had birds I've worked with that came from bad situation that it took close to two years before they came around and liked anyone, give it some time yet:).

Rrussel9
06-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Here are some pictures of Reptar from yesterday, this is Evanskiver's SO. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
06-01-2013, 08:53 PM
He is adorable:) Beautiful colours.