PDA

View Full Version : ~~~Soft & Cuddly~~~

Turquoise
06-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Yes I know these are photos of a baby cottontail, a wild baby bunny. Yes, I know not a good choice for a furry pet. OK, now that we have the business part over with, I will tell the story of how I have become a bunny Mom...for now.

My black female standard poodle, Nakia has a fetish for baby cottontail. Every spring I go through this, having to save babies from her clutches. Why the Moms think my backyard is the ideal place to raise their families is beyond my comprehension!! So anyway, I was at my computer yesterday evening contently typing away when Nakia runs in through the dog door with a screaming baby bunny in her mouth. I yell at her to drop it!! She does, I pick it up & it acts like its hind legs are hurt. I take it outside to see if I can find the nest so I can return it. Nakia follows, but darn her hide, she will not show me where she found the baby. Usually she will go right to the spot & continue to hunt for more.

I looked everywhere. My backyard is not huge, but it isn't tiny either, so I wasn't successful at finding its nest. I put it in a box lined with something I crocheted that has a little fake fur on it & let it sit quietly while I finished my message. Later I checked again outside for its nest, but still no go. I waited a couple of hrs & whipped up a homemade baby formula to see if it was hungry. It of course pushed me away & I let it alone for a couple more hours. This time when I tried to feed it with a tiny syringe it did eat a very small bit. Since then it has taken a tiny bit at a time & if it continues it should be alright.

I don't want to jink it, but if all goes well & the bunny lives over this ordeal, I will turn it loose when it is old enough to take care of itself. This is not the first baby bunny I have raised in my long lifetime, but so often Nakia hurts them too much or they just don't want to accept being fed by a horrid human & they don't make it.

Thought ya'll might like to see some pics of a soft furry cuddly baby bunny!:th_hug8:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
06-01-2013, 07:49 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] That is just adorable :th_heart:

Debra
06-01-2013, 11:54 AM
So cute and so little!

Blancaej
06-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Such a cute little bunny!

jtbirds
06-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Good luck raising it up and letting it go, keep us updated! I know a few wildlife rehab people and if you need any help I could contact them for you:).

spiritbird
06-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Those little guys are so vaulnerable to predators. I am glad little guy is in your hands.

plax
06-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Indeed a cute little guy :). I hope it continues to do well.

Turquoise
06-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone. The baby is still doing good. It eats reluctantly, but doesn't push me away like before. I have to go go work tonight, so I gave it all I could get it to eat. It is a little older, already has its eyes open, so it can go for longer without being detrimental to its health.

Thanks for the offer Justin, I have raised wild cottontails & successfully returned them to the wild. I think it will be ok, not sure about its back legs yet. If it does not use them by the time I am off work again, I will take it to my vet. It isn't in pain, so I am hopeful it is only bruised.

Yes, Spiritbird they are so vunetable & the biggest threat to the ones in my yard is my poodle! The other dogs don't bother bunnies, just her.

jtbirds
06-02-2013, 02:03 AM
Great! I was just putting it in place in case you needed some help, but you are obviously fine;)! Good luck.

Mare
06-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Aww, I hope baby pulls through and gets stronger. I know what you mean about dogs being harsh on the poor babies. My daughter has been staying with us for a few days and her doxie had been bringing baby ground squirrels to the slider door, I guess she thinks it's a present? She brought one last week that was still alive but couldn't move it's rear legs. We took it in and after a day and night, started to feed it kitten milk replacement that I had on hand. It had a good appetite, pooped and all but it's legs never came back, so sad. Can your bunny move its hind legs at all?

Turquoise
06-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks Mare for asking about the baby bunny. Unfortunately for the little darling, it did not make it. It did eat a little for me each time I fed it. I tried to get it to eat more, but it would push it away. Its hind legs never did move on their own, so I suspect internal damage from Nakia grabbing it. Some have lived in the past, but this time it was not meant to be. So sad, but that is the reason I went ahead & posted photos of the sweet baby. I feel it knows that we all loved it & cared and hoped for its recovery. Therefor it will never be forgotten.

So sorry to hear you baby ground squirrel did not make it. Our pups just have no idea what they can do with their jaws. I so wished the Mom squirrels and Mom rabbits would understand to raise their babies in safer areas.

Hop delicately light and free over the Rainbow Bridge tiny sweet fur baby. You are special to all of us here who hoped that you could run and play again with your bunny friends. :th_hug8:

Debra
06-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm so sorry to see that the baby didn't make it. Thank you for doing all you did for it.

plax
06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm very sorry to hear the little guy passed away, De'Andrea. You did what you could and it's nice that you snapped some photos. Nature can be cruel :(. Thanks so much for trying to give the furry little one a second chance.

Blancaej
06-03-2013, 03:07 PM
So sorry to here your little furry friend didn't make it. All you can do is try. :th_hug8:

jtbirds
06-03-2013, 08:08 PM
So sorry for the little one, thank you espically for doing all you did! You have a great heart and that little guy will always remember that:).