PDA

View Full Version : She didn't attack me!

Debra
05-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Lucy has always hated me. Even before she became ours. It got worse when she got nesty a few years ago. We finally woke up and took away most, if not all, of her nesty areas a few months ago. She has become a much calmer bird and has even started letting her feathers grow back in! :th_jawdrop:

This morning we were both off and so we let her out of her cage (as long as my hubby is home and can rescue me she's allowed out of her cage all day) and she started roaming. I went into our bedroom to get dressed and she followed me. My first thought was "uh, oh. she's after me." I was barefoot and she attacks my toes. I was able to walk around her and she didn't charge me! She actually did her little pick me up stance. I didn't take a chance of getting bitten so I told her she needed to continue playing. I finished getting ready and came back to my recliner but didn't put my feet up. She made her way over and touched my foot with her beak to see if I'd pick her up! She played around my chair for a good 5 minutes or so, until she climbed up on the trashcan and slipped in. She couldn't get out so I called my hubby and he rescued her. She's now sitting on her cage door making cute little ekkie noises. She may hate me but I love that little red head. I think I can call her behavior today progress! :th_heart:

JerseyBella
05-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Yay!! My Ekkie is very nesty too but, not nasty to anyone. We are lucky. I wish I could keep her from under furniture :(

Debra
05-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Haha -- that's why I didn't put the foot rest up on my recliner. I'd be stuck there while she made a nest area out of the chair. lol

Honesty
05-30-2013, 08:20 PM
It seems like she may slowly be warming to you:)

jtbirds
05-30-2013, 08:49 PM
My fathers greenwing hit sexual maturity and become a beast to me and he is just finally coming around a swell and I have shared my pain with that bird to:p, sounds amazing and I think most female eclectus I know are nesty mine is and so many others it is a trait they defiantly have held onto tight:p

And in the wild one female will have upto seven males looking after her, so they think they are queens of the world!

coltfire
05-31-2013, 03:43 AM
well my 14month old is get very nasty the last week growling at me and attacking through the cage and when i open up she is lunging at me and biting she drew blood today, and my big girl first time in 12 years bite me yesterday because i went near her box, the little bitch (in the nicest way) is sitting back on two eggs again, boy i wish she would stop just for a few months, these last two are not even weaned yet.

gemini_84
05-31-2013, 04:18 AM
well my 14month old is get very nasty the last week growling at me and attacking through the cage and when i open up she is lunging at me and biting she drew blood today, and my big girl first time in 12 years bite me yesterday because i went near her box, the little bitch (in the nicest way) is sitting back on two eggs again, boy i wish she would stop just for a few months, these last two are not even weaned yet.

if you move to north qld id help u look after them..... :eagerness::eagerness::love-struck::love-struck:

@drlisaort
06-01-2013, 05:54 PM
I hear so much about reaching sexual maturity and how mean the male eclectus can get. When is this? Is it at one year or later and how long does it last? I'm bracing myself. Lately he has been growling a bit and never ever did this before. I laughed reading about Lucy because I can relate to the fear factor. I've never been bit and I really don't want to be. I know one day he will but I'd like to dodge the bullet if I can...

coltfire
06-03-2013, 03:34 AM
he should not come in until around 2.5 years to 3, for full maturity, and as for the fear factor im sorry to say but they are just like dogs, you show fear and they will pick up on it and take over, the one thing i have found is they will bite sooner or later the thing is you cant show fear even when they do, yes they could take off your finger if they wanted to, but the worse you would get is a little blood and thats them seeing how far they can go, stop it the first time show them who is boss and dont let them rule you will have a bird that will rarely bite and when they do you know some thing is not right. well thats just how i have found them over 14 years, but that also goes with all birds.