PDA

View Full Version : Feather damage??

Greenwing
05-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Lucy has not plucked since I got her.. But she does have a strange behavior that's damaging her feathers..

She seems to like to put stuff between her body and her wing.. Be it the swing,rope perch even the chains from her toys..she sleeps like this and of course it's damaging her feathers.. I checked under her wing nothing there to see if there was anything irritating her all looks good...

Would like to stop this behavior if I can without stressing her out..

Thoughts opinions are appreciated

Thank you

Pinkbirdy
05-27-2013, 03:07 PM
My thoughts on this is ,I had a bird that plucked . It was awful nothing I could do to have it stop .Sometimes she was worse than others . Her plucking was under her wing .I had her to the vet many times [they said it wasn't something medical. Reading this ,Its a HUGE deal that Lucy is not plucking [so whatever your doing is right ] and IMO I wouldn't mess with it . My birds like to lean up against or sleep in a soft toy . Its interesting that she wants something under her wing [she must like how it feels ] .Maybe try one of those felt toys. You always wondered what triggers plucking. My poor bird went from plucking to mutilating ,then eventually died. :( Im not saying yours will at all. I just want you to know so you can be aware . Good luck

Greenwing
05-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm just concerned that the damaged wing feathers might trigger her to start over preening... She has many unusual behaviors.. She likes to grab the top of her wing with her foot and hold it ... She also likes to bring her foot around the back of her wing and chew her nails...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pinkbirdy
05-27-2013, 06:33 PM
That is strange {?} [ I moved a toy out of my one that plucked cage ] thinking it was a good idea . She was really distraught . I had to put it back . Im sure your doing everything your supposed to. I would feel good if Lucy plays with toys ,is active in her cage ,enjoys seeing you ,eats well and does well with her baths .I think for some reason, shes finding comfort in those toys . I wouldn't move anything out [thinking it would be preventive ] I would just keep things the same [and not over think it] .She seems happy in her situation.

plax
05-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Hi Greenwing... Salsa doesn't pluck, but he has a peculiar behavior that involves twirling/flicking his wings and rubbing them repeatedly on whatever he happens to be perched upon. It results in his feathers on the leading edge of both wings becoming a bit frayed. Sals has always done this during the time he's lived with me, and he in fact also did it when he was with his late Mom (before she passed away). She had actually sent me a video of him doing these wing twirls/flicks and asked for my thoughts. I realize that's not the same thing Lucy is doing, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Additionally, Zaf has a bad habit of chewing on his feet whenever he becomes anxious. Sometimes he even bites a few scales off of them. The scales always grow back and keeping him happy and content typically curtails his tendency toward the behavior. I really have no way of learning what emotional traumas Zaf may have experienced prior to coming to live with me in 2005.

jtbirds
05-27-2013, 11:01 PM
This sounds kind of like a sexual behavior, my baby girl the harlequin will put a rope toy under her wing and body and she pretty much gets stimulated off of that, it's not really a worryments as they are just smart creatures and learn how tobe self sufficient if it is ways we may not like completely.

If she is content and it is bugging her then I'd let all that is well be so she doesn't get upset, but like I said it sounds like a sexual behavior to me. All of the other behaviors you discribed are things I've seen countless times grabbing of the wings or tail and putting feet under wings to preen the head or play with them(I've never seen this behaviors attribute to anything bad but having some feathers Alittle more worn over). My bluffons macaw boo will grab his primary flights and preen under his wing, I know a Catalina that will grab her tail and preen her head with it. Baby girl also puts her feet under her wings and preens her own head. Baby girl also has a behavior of putting a foot and like itching at her side she now has a spot of skins that is lose from doing this and can be seen putting her toe nails into it playing with it, I've talked been to vets and it is no worryments of a tumor or anything.

I feel these are learned behaviors that they may have learnt in previous homes were maybe they weren't so content and had to make up things to do, these guys will do anything to keep themselves content and it sounds like that is what Lucy has taught herself to do. The behaviors reside a bit when out into a home like many of ours, but they still show up when they get bored. I mean we get bored sometimes and so do they so that's when they bring up old habits like these and then thirty minutes later they could find something to do and stop for another couple of months.

Tony I know what you mean about the behaviors like zaf displays it is so hard a few of mine do some very odd and sometimes scary things that I just cannot explain due to not having a past history on them. Zaf is in a great home now though:)!

Greenwing
05-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Thanks guys... I will keep an eye on her.. I let her outside everyday for 8-10 hrs... I shower her everyday.. If I hang another toy in her cage she won't fit ;)

I appreciate all the help..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Turquoise
05-28-2013, 04:50 AM
I have read that female parrots sometime tuck items under their wings &.tail feathers to take back to a nesting site. One particular thread mentioned our domesticated pet parrots seem to get confused and wear their nesting materials.

The need for some female parrots to nest is in their head, they just have no idea what they are supposed to do with the material. Lucy may not be old enough to think about such things. I just thought it could have something to do with future nesting hormones.

keepsmiling
05-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Holly is nowhere near in any sexual phase and does this. She sits with a toy or something under her wing. I think it comforts her.

Bokkapooh
05-29-2013, 02:04 PM
I think this is macaw thing. They love chains, dangling toys, etc,, to drape around their bodies as they preen or sleep. Silly birds:)

Just take care, it can be a safety hazard!

Bokkapooh
05-29-2013, 02:04 PM
I have read that female parrots sometime tuck items under their wings &.tail feathers to take back to a nesting site. One particular thread mentioned our domesticated pet parrots seem to get confused and wear their nesting materials.

The need for some female parrots to nest is in their head, they just have no idea what they are supposed to do with the material. Lucy may not be old enough to think about such things. I just thought it could have something to do with future nesting hormones.
I've only ever heard of female lovebirds doing this. Not any other species.

Debra
05-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Lucy tucks pellets under her wing. They don't stay there but she sure tries.

Mare
05-29-2013, 06:50 PM
The Sassy Goffin's girl puts all things under her wings, in her wings, on top, even! She'll shred paper and tuck it in there, her favorite is the rubber pieces she chews off of flip-flops! I've never seen Amigo do this, though, sure does sound like a female nesty thing, to me.

jtbirds
05-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Bokkapooh that is wrong many other species do this and some listed them above, goffins, eclectus and most parrots species will partake in this if they have the need to carry nesting items to a nest it is an instinct.

P.s. greenwing I was watching my one blue and gold do this same behavior today, she was as well a former plucker and has stopped, she has a bald spot in her back where she rubs her toys similar to what you described, I believe hers in more sexual then anything as she gets into posture and such.

Bokkapooh
05-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Bokkapooh that is wrong many other species do this and some listed them above, goffins, eclectus and most parrots species will partake in this if they have the need to carry nesting items to a nest it is an instinct.

Not for nesting.

Many species will "ant". Where they stick things into their feathers. In the wild they do this to get rid of parasites like lice, etc. They'll also stick live ants (thus where they get the name) that will eat and kill the mites out of their feathers.

My cockatoos ant. But they dont ant to nest.

jtbirds
05-29-2013, 11:50 PM
They still pack nesting material to carry, it is not specific of lovebirds. You may have only seen it happen with captive lovebirds but that does not mean other species do not do it as well. I have seen plenty of other birds throughout my years carry nesting material underwings to make nests and many were lovebird yes, but I have defiantly seen this behavior in other species.

P.s. just looked into this some more, yes peach faced lovebirds are most commonly seen doing this, but it has been seen in finches and australian grass parakeets and it could be a learned behavior in other species, so if they watched others do it and started to do it themselves. Usually cockatoos are referred to as the ones that ant I have never seen any of my macaws or anything ant. And I've never seen many other cockatoos but goffins ant or try to rather.