PDA

View Full Version : What does this behavior mean in a young African Grey?

aliray
05-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi I am currently caring for a friends parrots while they are on vacation. The birds are in their own home and I go twice a day to feed and clean. One of the birds a grey is under a year old and very bonded to her mom. The whole time I am there she crouches down low on her perch and flutters her wings at me her head is down low and she makes that one note call at times like I hear the other grey make then she will go over to another perch and do the same thing. Her feathers aren't ruffled but she keeps looking at me and fluttering no growling noise .Is this just a begging behavior in a young grey, anxiety, It doesn't appear to be aggression . I know they are not used to other people besides their mom and dad. I am used to my small parrots . these birds are all females . Two african greys and one Amazon The two older birds were both rescues , The young one was bought at 4 mo old Any Ideas from Grey owners

Pinkbirdy
05-26-2013, 05:27 PM
I believe she wants your attention :) (go see her) :)

roxynoodle
05-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Yes, she is begging, probably for attention :)

Greys do it that way, and so do amazons and macaws. I'm sure some others do as well. Conures tend to hang on the bars and swing their upper body back and forth like an upside down pendulum when they beg.

Robin
05-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Yep I agree begging .

Debra
05-26-2013, 05:50 PM
My Lucy (Eclectus) does the same thing.

aliray
05-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Thank you for your answers .I thought that was what she was doing. I feel guilty because I can't take her out and I think she wants to come out and be cuddled like mom does. Dad doesn't want the birds out while he is gone . he is scared I will get bitten or they will get traumatized trying to get them back in their cage. He adores his birds and this is the first time in 8 years he has left them so he is a nervous wreck. I do chit chat and talk to them the whole time I am there. Dad is retired and mom still works so he is with them 24 /7 . I am actually flattered that he has entrusted me to care for them, and I am following all his instruction to the letter.

Blancaej
05-26-2013, 06:29 PM
My Savannah does that and I've wondered what that meant and was going to ask here on the forum. My Quincy doesn't quite beg or ask for attention the same way. LOL! So this was new to me. Thanks for asking this question!

jules
06-24-2013, 09:08 PM
hi Alison, i expect the owners are back from vacation now? how did you get on with the baby grey? they do need attention while so young, it's a shame you weren't allowed to let her out, hopefully next time you can as it can be more stressful to the bird knowing a human is there but not opening their doors. you have birds of your own so i cant understand why dad was concerned incase you were bitten :)

aliray
06-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Julie ,sorry it took me so long to post this but yes they are back from vacation and were very pleased. They plan to go again in a year from this sept. and asked if I would be willing to take care of them again. HaHa. I have smaller parrots and he was just worried because he gets bitten by them at times, more so the older grey . And by the way that behavior of the young grey is her begging behavior. He does not use grates on his cages so when you pull the tray partway out to clean it there is nothing but the floor underneath and you can probably guess ,the tray stared to tilt , scared the younger grey and down she went to the floor.and went for a walk to the dining room. I just kept an eye on her and finished her cage. Then walked over put my arm down and told her to step up. Up she came got a little cuddle and then back to her cage. She was fine. That was the only mishap. If I am able I will definately do it again, it was fun. I would bring them each night a different treat when I went back in the evening. They really liked the dried mango, and plain popped corn. They were very sweet birds

jules
06-28-2013, 10:35 PM
awww glad it all went well. hope you get to do it again soon. i love looking after my friends birds, i went up to stay in may and took jasper with me, it was just great having them all out together, i didn't want to come home :th_biggrin: