Honesty
05-25-2013, 05:09 PM
They are adorable Fawn :)

Blancaej
05-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Love the photos! :thanks4sharingthumb

spiritbird
05-25-2013, 07:14 PM
You are so lucky to have a great flock like these birds!

Pinkbirdy
05-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Wonderful!! please tell me what your Goffins like [I have no experience with them] Im going Tues to help a lady with [an out of control one ] I have a feeling I might end up with :) Love caiques [looks like they get along out together :) )

Robin
05-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Oh what a beautiful flock !!

Debra
05-25-2013, 08:56 PM
I love your birds!

Birdboy
05-26-2013, 12:11 AM
cute!!!!!!!!!:th_heart: its so great that they get along so well

Fawn
05-26-2013, 03:30 AM
thank you guys! you've made everyone blush :p don't let the pictures fool you.. i watch them like a hawk when they're together. i don't really allow them to interact too closely. i'm not good with the site of blood, so i'd be useless if something bad happened.

@pinkbirdy, ugh i wish i knew what a normal goffin was like! she wasn't properly weaned (my fault) and is spoiled beyond belief. she's learned to cry consistently for attention and/or formula. it's day in and day out. she actually tends to keep everyone else on edge, especially when she's in the middle of a tantrum and being ignored. i have to watch the caique and goffin VERY closely and be prepared to stick my fingers in between them. the caique is a rehome and tends to be a little rough.. while my goffin is a snuggle bunny - i've seen her try to cuddle inanimate objects lol she's a bit of a window licker.. i say that with love. :highly_amused: she is a HANDFUL though! and definitely the rowdiest of them all. she's learned to train me pretty well.

and in case anyone was wondering about the caique's featherless face :th_ashamed3: ...he simply developed that way. his crop is also crooked, you can tell when he's eaten because it actually slips to the opposite side of his body and protrudes a bit. his beak is a little odd and his feathers didn't come on his face until now.. vet cleared him for good health so it's kind of weird. and that's the exact reason he was given up.. because he isn't "normal". i just don't get it... he's SO beyond awesome, i can't even begin to describe. still not sure how someone could abandon such an amazing little bird. oh well, better for me! :D

Pinkbirdy
05-26-2013, 03:52 PM
I am starting to get a picture[that these Goffins are little Devils ] I do love my caiques though. Im glad you gave us your story on him . Not surprised hearing hes a great little guy :)

Momto3boys
05-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Beautiful, I was wondering why he had no feathers and was about to ask when I seen you had already told us!

Poor man, like you said it worked out better for you. :th_hug8:

Fawn
05-27-2013, 01:06 AM
I am starting to get a picture[that these Goffins are little Devils ] I do love my caiques though. Im glad you gave us your story on him . Not surprised hearing hes a great little guy :)

the G2 is certainly a work in progress.. i have to say, from personal experience i would never get a baby cockatoo again. i did my homework on their care and needs but holy moley i was completely unprepared for one that wasn't weaned so i screwed her up big time. she's getting better though. she's coming off of formula rather quickly now and once that's squared away, i'll start working on her behavior (it'll be easier to differentiate WHY she's throwing fits then :p). she's a bit of a crier/screamer because of my carelessness and i admittedly created a monster. if i could again, i'd adopt an older cockatoo instead.. run right passed all this baby nonsense and have a bird that's somewhat developed mentally, even if they're coming from bad homes.

were you thinking about adopting or getting a baby? if you get a baby, my advice would be tell the breeder or store to pound sand if they push them on you before being weaned unless you have the experience under your belt.

Fawn
05-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Beautiful, I was wondering why he had no feathers and was about to ask when I seen you had already told us!

Poor man, like you said it worked out better for you. :th_hug8:

yup yup, that's my quarter naked little man haha

sometimes when i look at my walls and the amount of mushy raisins now stuck to them, i wonder if his looks are the REAL reason he was given up lol he is one MESSY little dude

Pinkbirdy
05-27-2013, 01:44 AM
the G2 is certainly a work in progress.. i have to say, from personal experience i would never get a baby cockatoo again. i did my homework on their care and needs but holy moley i was completely unprepared for one that wasn't weaned so i screwed her up big time. she's getting better though. she's coming off of formula rather quickly now and once that's squared away, i'll start working on her behavior (it'll be easier to differentiate WHY she's throwing fits then :p). she's a bit of a crier/screamer because of my carelessness and i admittedly created a monster. if i could again, i'd adopt an older cockatoo instead.. run right passed all this baby nonsense and have a bird that's somewhat developed mentally, even if they're coming from bad homes.

were you thinking about adopting or getting a baby? if you get a baby, my advice would be tell the breeder or store to pound sand if they push them on you before being weaned unless you have the experience under your belt. Ive had 2s before young and older [Im actually getting a just weaned RB2 in June] But I don't know anything about these Goffins. I came across this weird situation with a Goffin [and of course the timings never good and happens like that] This lady has turned her goffin into a MONSTER!! They want a new home for him . But im worried about the fate of this bird . Their rare around here and I see him getting resold .Im going over Tuesday to try and show her some things [to help her keep him].But I may end up with him eventually.So im trying to figure out whats normal with Goffins .They seem like their unlike the other 2s.To tell you the truth ,ive never seen a bird like this [and you see all my birds] . This things nuts!! So Im kind of intrigued .

Fawn
05-27-2013, 02:16 AM
ahhh i gotcha. well i can't tell ya much besides what i've heard from other people lol my goffin is still very much a baby mentally.. there's one woman i met that came up to me in a store who had asked if my G2 was crazy. i kinda looked at her like "crazy? huh?". she said her goffin is a nut. she can't turn her back for a second because he's always doing something he shouldn't. he's flighted too so that's extra trouble for her. she said she had to hang nets and swings from her stair well and other parts of her house to allow him to have places to play and fly to up high. but most of the time he hangs from the back of her shirt while she walks around her house doing chores lol

they certainly can't be stationed, my goffin is the same way in that respect. where ever i am, she wants to be right under my chin and nuzzled into my neck. they're busy bodies that's for sure. they do whatever they want, when they want (good or bad) and then turn around and give you the warm and fuzzies with cute looks and baby noises. my goffin will nip if you try to pry her heman grip from your clothes and put her up to bed. they're SMART and manipulative. you almost have to be a step ahead of their thinking which can be a challenge. in comparison to my umbie, my goffin is FAST. i've got to be quick with her to keep her out of danger. i can't tell you how many times she's flown into the kitchen and out of site and by the time i race in right after her, she's already shredding bills or hoping around the sink.

what's he do that they want to rehome him? i feel bad for him :( i hope you're able to help at least, but it already sounds like he might be better off with you and your babies! if she's not willing to give the time and patience he'll need then he'll be out of there pretty quickly, i'd assume :/

Crys12065
05-27-2013, 02:23 AM
they are all adorable!:th_heart:

Fawn
05-27-2013, 02:25 AM
thank you!! :D

Pinkbirdy
05-27-2013, 03:08 AM
ahhh i gotcha. well i can't tell ya much besides what i've heard from other people lol my goffin is still very much a baby mentally.. there's one woman i met that came up to me in a store who had asked if my G2 was crazy. i kinda looked at her like "crazy? huh?". she said her goffin is a nut. she can't turn her back for a second because he's always doing something he shouldn't. he's flighted too so that's extra trouble for her. she said she had to hang nets and swings from her stair well and other parts of her house to allow him to have places to play and fly to up high. but most of the time he hangs from the back of her shirt while she walks around her house doing chores lol

they certainly can't be stationed, my goffin is the same way in that respect. where ever i am, she wants to be right under my chin and nuzzled into my neck. they're busy bodies that's for sure. they do whatever they want, when they want (good or bad) and then turn around and give you the warm and fuzzies with cute looks and baby noises. my goffin will nip if you try to pry her heman grip from your clothes and put her up to bed. they're SMART and manipulative. you almost have to be a step ahead of their thinking which can be a challenge. in comparison to my umbie, my goffin is FAST. i've got to be quick with her to keep her out of danger. i can't tell you how many times she's flown into the kitchen and out of site and by the time i race in right after her, she's already shredding bills or hoping around the sink.

what's he do that they want to rehome him? i feel bad for him :( i hope you're able to help at least, but it already sounds like he might be better off with you and your babies! if she's not willing to give the time and patience he'll need then he'll be out of there pretty quickly, i'd assume :/ Well this is his condition -I talked to the lady on the phone and what she said was wrong was his screaming all the time . I asked if she could pet him [yes he likes it under his wings ] This is Pearls day [I think is a boy] . He gets up is put in a downstairs cage .Hes there until 11am then goes way up to this room by himself until 5pm . They bring him downstairs until bed which they cover him at 8. When hes out with the woman ,he jumps down to attack anyone near her and chases them out of the room. These are very nice older people who didn't realize they did this. First- when they got him it was just her and got to be out a lot. She pets him under her wings so he thinks its his mate. The husband became ill [so is now home all the time] The bird is put away to be quiet and has to compete for attention with the husband there. So you can see where the problems are. My thing is the attacking those he doesn't want in the room. I saw him and he hopped off his cage and RAN to get my feet then junped on the couch to try and bite me. The only solution I can think of is get him out of that environment and have him go through bird bootcamp :)

jtbirds
05-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Hey fawn beautiful flock:)! I love the caique no matter if his face is missing a bit:p, I know a guy who was given a cinnamon pineapple green check because a toe was crooked and the breeder couldn't sell that, and a guy who was given a ducorps cockatoo that was suppose to be a show bird because she was very very slightly hump backed... Stupid people.

Debra
05-27-2013, 01:36 PM
When we got our first pair of tiels the store owner almost didn't sell us the female because her feet are small and her toes curl to the left. We emphatically said she's ours and we left with her. Best decision ever.

roxynoodle
05-27-2013, 03:09 PM
One of the vet techs at my avian vet's has a macaw (B&G) who has a condition where he doesn't grow any downy feathers. He also only molts every few years. He is healthy though and has been in her family for more than 20 years.

My Nanday was discounted because she's missing a toenail. And my Grey is blind. Doesn't matter to me :)

Mare
05-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Fawn your flock is beautiful! You pretty much summed up a Goffin's behavior. I know folks that have never mentioned this type of behavior from their Goffin's so assume maybe they are not ALL like this. Mine is and we love her anyway.

Fawn
05-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Well this is his condition -I talked to the lady on the phone and what she said was wrong was his screaming all the time . I asked if she could pet him [yes he likes it under his wings ] This is Pearls day [I think is a boy] . He gets up is put in a downstairs cage .Hes there until 11am then goes way up to this room by himself until 5pm . They bring him downstairs until bed which they cover him at 8. When hes out with the woman ,he jumps down to attack anyone near her and chases them out of the room. These are very nice older people who didn't realize they did this. First- when they got him it was just her and got to be out a lot. She pets him under her wings so he thinks its his mate. The husband became ill [so is now home all the time] The bird is put away to be quiet and has to compete for attention with the husband there. So you can see where the problems are. My thing is the attacking those he doesn't want in the room. I saw him and he hopped off his cage and RAN to get my feet then junped on the couch to try and bite me. The only solution I can think of is get him out of that environment and have him go through bird bootcamp :)

ah ha! sounds like my little monster lol everything besides the possessiveness. my little one just wants to be on ANYone, she doesn't discriminate haha

i agree though, that sounds like he'd be better off being rehabbed correctly. it's easier to train birds than it is to train humans. although the birds seem to have our training pretty down pat haha we could learn a thing or two from them :p

Fawn
05-28-2013, 02:52 PM
phew what a busy weekend - reason (or excuse depending on how lazy i was being in between) for my late reply :3

what wonderful stories!!! and thanks for the comments!

it seriously annoys the living CRAP out of me when someone ditches a bird because of silly defects like that... i think it adds character to the birds and makes them pretty damn special. i've seen it alot myself at a local shop where people frown upon the "defective" babies.. missing toes, patches of missing feathers, broken nails, one guy gave a bird up because his baby Too had gotten nipped by another baby and gotten his toe nail bitten off. all that time he spent with the baby was wasted and the baby was put back up for sale.. sad case.