PDA

View Full Version : Merlin and the food dish

roxynoodle
05-25-2013, 01:39 PM
One of the things Merlin does for attention is pick up her food dish and put it down on it's side. Then she yells out, "What happened?"

Of course I"m supposed to come running and fix it for her. It's a big heavy crock dish that I have on the bottom of her cage for her. She is blind and likes being in the bottom of the cage, which is why I'm using that for a food bowl.

Well, last night when she did it, I told her I couldn't come fix it because the dog was on top of me. I know she can fix it herself because I've seen her do it.

After a few minutes she wanted to eat so she picked it back up and set it upright. But, it wasn't in the right spot. So she picked it back up and put it back exactly where it goes. That was the first time she's done that. Then she happily climbed on and began eating :th_biggrin:

I admit I'm also trying to teach her to say, "There's nothing to eat!" after the "What happened?"

Debra
05-25-2013, 01:52 PM
How funny! Merlin is a smart girl.

Honesty
05-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Merlin is getting smarter by the day:)

spiritbird
05-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Love those greys and their intelligence.

Crys12065
05-25-2013, 11:06 PM
that is so cute!!!

jtbirds
05-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Merlin is such an amazing bird despite the handicap she has:), she sounds a lo like my medium sulphur with no upper mandible able to overcome anything. This story just made my night Audrey:). Thanks so much for sharing.

roxynoodle
05-26-2013, 01:35 AM
I'm so used to S. American birds so the different type of intelligence that Greys have is very amusing and enjoyable to me. I'm so glad she joined our flock and I've gotten to know her.

DistinctiveFeather
05-26-2013, 02:19 AM
That's so precious! lol

Robin
05-26-2013, 02:45 AM
Smarty Pants :) Wow how is it like having a blind bird ? She is lucky to have you !!

roxynoodle
05-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Actually it's pretty easy to have a blind bird. I've made a few accomodations for her, since she is clumsy and likes being in the bottom of the cage. I bought her a King's Double Stack because it's only 26 inches inside height in case she falls from a top perch (which has happened). I have the big crock food dish at the bottom of the cage, and she did have one of those for water until she learned to pick it up and slowly pour all the water out, lol! Now I use one of the locking cups for water. She also prefers toys on the bottom of the cage or hanging from the sides down there. And she has a low perch and a piece of 2x4 to stand on.

When she's out she really can't be on play stands or boings as she will try to walk off into air to get back to me. So she stays on the couch with me. Most of the time she sits on me and wants to be petted or she preens or she naps. Sometimes she walks around on the couch and plays with this stuffed dog toy I got her. I know she can see a little bit because she knows the dog toys are there. She kept going to the edge of the couch and looking at them. She really wanted this pink stuffed toy so I got her a smaller version of it.

Pinkbirdy
05-26-2013, 04:07 PM
One of the things Merlin does for attention is pick up her food dish and put it down on it's side. Then she yells out, "What happened?"

Of course I"m supposed to come running and fix it for her. It's a big heavy crock dish that I have on the bottom of her cage for her. She is blind and likes being in the bottom of the cage, which is why I'm using that for a food bowl.

Well, last night when she did it, I told her I couldn't come fix it because the dog was on top of me. I know she can fix it herself because I've seen her do it.

After a few minutes she wanted to eat so she picked it back up and set it upright. But, it wasn't in the right spot. So she picked it back up and put it back exactly where it goes. That was the first time she's done that. Then she happily climbed on and began eating :th_biggrin:

I admit I'm also trying to teach her to say, "There's nothing to eat!" after the "What happened?" I love reading stories like this :th_biggrin: First -it puts a smile on my face Second - love the intelligent interaction you are fortunate to experience :thanks4sharingthumb thirdly Im thinking with all this fun [who needs men ] :woohoo-dancing-bana

Momto3boys
05-26-2013, 04:24 PM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] Merlin is such a sweet, smart girlie :th_heart:

Robin
05-26-2013, 09:45 PM
That's amazing Audrey and Merlin is lucky to have such a caring person to take care of her....awesome !!
We always seem to find ways to make it work :)

KBEquine
06-14-2013, 11:11 PM
I've apparently been gone from the board for a while . . .

I love that Merlin says, "What happened?" because both her former roommates, Goose-the-Greenwing & Kiwi (Panama Amazon) say it, too.

Gooser usually says it after he has chased Kiwi off the play area. Kiwi takes flight & Goose says, "What happened? Are you alright?" [Like he didn't cause the commotion].

When there is a loud noise in the house [house with 9 parrots . . . there is ALWAYS a loud noise!] Kiwi says (in his little boy voice) "What happened, hmmm?"

[And Goose STILL calls Merlin's name. When I say, "Merlin is in Ohio - that [CAG] is Gilbert" Goose doesn't miss a beat & yells, "BERT!!!"]

I know I've mentioned it before, but for me, this stuff never gets old . . . sorry if I'm repeating myself too much!