PDA

View Full Version : Riparium

keepsmiling
05-25-2013, 08:32 AM
I have wanted to start a riparium since learning about them years ago.A riparium is an aquarium with plants suspended at the surface of the water, growing up and over little terraces. So I bought a little vintage metaframe tank. I am also trying to win a vintage lamp for it.
leak testing the tank-holds water!
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
the lamp I am trying to win

keepsmiling
05-25-2013, 08:33 AM
An example of a riparium

Debra
05-25-2013, 11:56 AM
How pretty, I can't wait to watch yours as it grows.

Honesty
05-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Thats lovely Carole. Look forward to seeing its progress:)

jtbirds
05-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Very exotic looking! I've seen many other pictures of these and I love them to. Can't wait to see yours grow and flourish:)

roxynoodle
05-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Looking forward to it's progress. I hope you win the lamp!

keepsmiling
05-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone! Yeah, someone keeps trying to beat me out of the lamp, dang it...:th_shrug2:

keepsmiling
05-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Trying to win this guy

Debra
05-25-2013, 02:20 PM
He's pretty!

keepsmiling
05-25-2013, 06:09 PM
I decided the 2.5 gallon is a bit too small for what I want to do. currently trying to win a 5 gallon.

aliray
05-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Will The Betta be the only live critter in there?

Robin
05-25-2013, 08:03 PM
That's pretty cool looking !! Love the betta.

keepsmiling
05-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Thank you!

Will The Betta be the only live critter in there?
Yes, you cannot keep other fish with a betta. Or you shouldn't. And usually they go after most inverts.Especially in a small tank.

Crys12065
05-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Trying to win this guy

He's beautiful! Where are you trying to win him?

I want a Betta so bad!! I have a 5 gallon tank all set up but no money for the testing kit and stuff to cycle it right now, so it sits empty :(

I will live vicariously through you for now, hope you win him!:th_chickendance:

keepsmiling
05-26-2013, 12:46 AM
Just do constant water changes. I did win him, off Aquabid. I also won the tank, but lost on the cool lamp and had to settle for one not as pretty.

roxynoodle
05-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Carole, I kept my Bettas in my community tropical fish tank (only one male at a time) and never had any aggression issues. I had 4 or 5 of them over the years so I suspect it was ok and I didn't just get lucky with all of them :) Just don't put 2 males together, or put them with other aggressive species like mollies or barbs and I think you would be ok.

keepsmiling
05-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Yeah it's usually other fish that like to harass the bettas. Girls can be kept easily in a sorority. I can't wait..woohoo..getting excited now!:th_chickendance:

jtbirds
05-26-2013, 01:24 AM
I can't wait ether I want to see cool pictures with that amazing betta in it:)!

mrgoogls
07-10-2013, 03:05 AM
Thank you!

Yes, you cannot keep other fish with a betta. Or you shouldn't. And usually they go after most inverts.Especially in a small tank.

you definitely can keep other fish with bettas. common myth. just males will attack each other, and sometimes other fish that look like other male bettas. some other aggressive fish may nip at the bettas long fins though. as long as you have less aggressive fish that don't look like a male betta you would be fine.

coltfire
07-10-2013, 04:58 AM
carole i breed them for years they are the easiest fish i know to breed the only thing is the male bashes the female to breed some times she does not survive but most times she will , it looks bad but thats just how they are, never put two males together unless you want to see a fight to the death, but do get more than one male and put them next to each other so they can see each other and that way they keep there colours up, now i kept them in jars(the males) the females you can have as many as you like together but only put a male in with females if you want them to breed, the males do not need a big space to live jars are fine, but i do love the set up you are doing, i would put the females in there and only add a male for breeding then take the male back out after he has bashed the females that want to breed.