PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy gave me the best gift ever

Animalman2046
05-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi all as some of you know I rescued a crimson bellied conure 2 1/2 months ago who had a broken leg while with the breeder and it was never treated and it healed non-functional with nerve damage. I took him to my avian vet who x-rayed it and said he would never be able to use the leg due to the type of fracture non union and the way it grossly healed. The vet said amputation or let him go and see what happens. I have been doing physical therapy and range of motion several times a day since March and today I saw him standing on the foot and using it to perch with and hold food. Something he has not done in the 2 months I have had him. I just wanted to share some pictures 608

Momto3boys
05-23-2013, 04:25 PM
He's just doing so amazing, Ron :th_heart:

Honesty
05-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Thats fantastic news Ron:) You must be so pleased. He is gorgeous:)

Debra
05-23-2013, 05:11 PM
That's wonderful!

roxynoodle
05-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Great news!

Maddy
05-23-2013, 05:42 PM
That's so wonderful! :th_heart:

crazyanimal
05-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Wonderful news. The power of love can do amazing things.

spiritbird
05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Ron has a boat load of love for this little guy. Well done Ron and Ziggy!!

aliray
05-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Wow great job. You must be very proud of what you and your baby have managed to achieve. That is fantastic and congrats on a job well done

Animalman2046
05-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Thank you all for your very kind words. Yes I am so proud of Ziggy he is a real little trooper. It means so much to me to see him be able to stand on it and hold food in it to eat something he hasn't been able to do for the 2 1/2 months I have had him. The love and therapy really worked. Again thanks so much! He is finally becoming a normal little boy!

Mare
05-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Aww, this is great news!

Blancaej
05-24-2013, 12:52 AM
That is wonderful news Ron! Such dedication really pays off! :th_yah:

jtbirds
05-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Amazing news!

Pinkbirdy
05-24-2013, 01:29 AM
Im so glad YOU went with your gut feeling [Look at him now!!!}

DistinctiveFeather
05-24-2013, 05:25 AM
That's so great! Did you tell the vet? :-D

Mirlito
05-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Aww poor wee soul he is so adorable! CBC's are my favourites!

ACEPHONECHIC
05-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Well done for giving him a chance in life, I believe where there is life it deserves the chance to live. It shows how they can overcome if only given the love and encouragement to do so. You are to be aplauded.
Yes crimsons are so sweet maybe we are bias !!!

Animalman2046
05-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Thank you all for your very kind words. Yes I am so proud of Ziggy he is a real fighter. Love cures all things............again thanks!

DQ IT
05-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Wow, that's great news! Amazing progress in 2 months! :th_yah:

PlaxMacaws
08-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Hi all as some of you know I rescued a crimson bellied conure 2 1/2 months ago who had a broken leg while with the breeder and it was never treated and it healed non-functional with nerve damage. I took him to my avian vet who x-rayed it and said he would never be able to use the leg due to the type of fracture non union and the way it grossly healed. The vet said amputation or let him go and see what happens. I have been doing physical therapy and range of motion several times a day since March and today I saw him standing on the foot and using it to perch with and hold food. Something he has not done in the 2 months I have had him. I just wanted to share some pictures 608That was really great news, Ron! How is Ziggy's leg doing now?

I very well know the elated feeling that emerges from a bird with a less-than-clean alignment on a broken leg bone who begins to use the leg normally. This very situation occurred with my Zaffer in 2013. The two portions of his tibiotarsus were splinted in a misaligned position, so I was very concerned that he may suffer a permanent mobility impairment as a result. Well... presently you wouldn't even know Zaf had ever broken his leg. Functionally he's completely normal! He dances, runs, climbs, hangs, grasps, holds food, and juggles toys without issue. And he doesn't limp or favor his leg at all when he walks. In addition to my fear that the misalignment may have significantly impaired him mobility wise, I as well feared that he may have sustained nerve damage because his foot was entirely limp for several months following his accident. I'm so thankful that he recovered wonderfully :D. I'm hoping the same has proven true for Ziggy! Please update us, if you would.