PDA

View Full Version : Possible infection - what could it be?

EmR27
04-13-2021, 06:53 AM
My boy B has what looks to be an infection on a "stump" above his tail. The other day after spraying him down for a birdy bath he decided to preen. I then noticed he wiped his beak on my bed and blood came off. I quickly searched him and realized it was coming from his tail area/above his tail feathers. I tried to pat the wound with a tissue to see if it was still bleeding but he struggled too much. The next day I saw him picking at the area and he "spit" out a piece of scab that had something attached that looked like it could've been the base of a feather. When I checked him again the wound seem to be fairly scabbed over with blood. I noticed him picking at it over several days and tried my best to stop him. Then I checked it today and it looks like an open wound and there is some yellow there which may be infection. After touching it (not purposefully but when lifting the small feathers around it to get a better look) my fingers had a slight smell which I also think could mean its an infection. He is behaving the same as usual from what I can tell. He seems more bothered by me restraining him to take a look at it than he is by the wound itself. But of course he is my baby so I'm very concerned :( Going to try to get him to a vet within the next few days but until then I thought Id post here and see if you guys have any ideas as to what it could be? My best guess is he pulled a feather out and it got infected but cant be sure. Going to try and attatch a photo.

Dragonlady2
04-13-2021, 01:11 PM
He needs to see a vet. Sooner than later. It looks like his preening gland is infected. The infection needs to be treated right away. If it starts bleeding before you can get in to see a vet, you can use flour or cornstarch to help stop bleeding.
Please let us know how the vet visit goes.

EmR27
04-13-2021, 08:00 PM
Trying my best to make him an appointment. Unfortunately very few avian vets near me and the only options are booked out for at least a week or two (this is the emergency wait times, regular visits are booked out one to two months!). Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Dragonlady2
04-14-2021, 01:28 PM
All I can suggest is warm water with a little epsom salt mixed in it and clean the area a few times a day. Infections in birds progress very quickly so any appointment is better than no appointment. Maybe you can place a call to a vet to seek advice. As well, you can sometimes get advice from vets online.search for “free avian vet advice” or something similar to see what you can find.