PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Southern California + pictures

DistinctiveFeather
05-21-2013, 04:03 AM
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, but I've been on other parrot forums for a couple years or so now.

I have a Darcy, who I think is a Mister Darcy, but I haven't had him tested yet. I got him last fall, after he landed on somebody's shoulder at a park. I also used to have a black-headed caique named Puck, but he became sick and passed away last summer. I would post a picture of him, but I might cry if I had to look through pictures of him.

Darcy is a golden collared macaw, and he's fantastic! He has very mellow personality, and I can take him everywhere with me (and I often do). He is 95% potty trained, meaning he will generally not go poop if he is on your shoulder. He waits until you remove him. There are a couple other places he doesn't poop, like my bed, his perch in the bathroom (for when I'm bathing), the couch... He goes if he needs to and I forget though. I didn't train him to do this, so don't ask me for advice!

He was a little bit shy with new people, but after a few trips out in public he warmed up. Now he will step up for most people. With some people he won't step up for, some people he is neutral, and some people he is NUTS about! Sometimes he sees somebody (usually an older man), he'll start displaying, and doing a silly dance. One time at FedEx he RAN down my arm and RAN across the counter and RAN up the guy's arm! He's also done this with a man at the local bird club I joined. :-)

I've been taking him on hikes at a local park, which he seems to really enjoy. I've got him sweater trained, so when I got into someplace that serves food, I can get him to stay inside my sweater until I am done shopping. Sometimes he doesn't even want to come out of my sweater when I leave because he gets all snuggly in there.

He is so funny. He inflates his crop with air like a balloon when he's happy. He isn't very vocal, so he only says "Hi" and "Hello". He does kisses sometimes, and likes to lean into kisses when I kiss him. He's started to imitate our little dog crying, which is hilarious. I have to keep him away from the dogs though, because if they get too close he'll charge them and attack!

Despite not being a big talker, he is smart. I got him a harness, but it doesn't do ANY good because he unfastens it and takes it off in a couple minutes. He can also undo my big ball and chain necklace, and he fastened his Babble Ball (which he LOVES, perhaps because it sounds like him) from its chain. He also laughs at appropriate times in conversations, and when listening to the radio.

Also, this week I was able to clip his wings all by myself. He didn't enjoy it, but he only stayed a little irritated for about a minute, then he seemed to be over it.

Here are a few photos, but there are a bunch on his Facebook page, which you can find by searching for "Darcy Dirigible". Just send a message to say you're from Precisely Parrots.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
Darcy on a pedestal

I got him a leash, but he unfastens it and takes off in under 5 minutes now.

Posing in the orange tree

This is how I transport him if I am going someplace where pets aren't allowed. He is sweater trained!

He hates water baths, but love sun baths!

He also enjoys long walks on the beach.

ShellyBorg
05-21-2013, 04:52 AM
Welcome!

Honesty
05-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Hello Remy and :pp_welcome:Thankyou for joining us. We are pleased to see you here :th_dancing:

Darcy is beautiful:)

keepsmiling
05-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Hello and welcome Remy and Darcy! What a great intro. Thanks for sharing !:th_welcome2:

JerseyBella
05-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Welcome!!

roxynoodle
05-21-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm glad you joined us, Remy, and I enjoyed reading about Darcy :)

Momto3boys
05-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Welcome Remy and Darcy.

Darcy is beautiful :th_heart:

Debra
05-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Welcome! He is beautiful!

Mare
05-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Hi Remy! I remember how devastated you were over losing Puck and am so happy to see you have allowed a new bird into your life. Darcy looks and sounds wonderful! I especially love his sun bathing in the bath tub photo! Welcome!

plax
05-22-2013, 12:55 AM
It's so nice that you've joined us, Remy :). I too enjoyed reading about Darcy. I can tell he's a laid back and superb little Macaw with loads of personality :D. Your pics of him are great as well... Thanks so much for sharing them and telling us about him!

JadeC
05-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Welcome Remy!! :P

Macawfancy
05-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Welcome, Darcy is a cutie, just adorable!

Mirlito
05-28-2013, 04:39 PM
A very warm Scottish welcome to you from the sunny Costa del Sol, Andalucía, Spain!

aliray
05-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Remy and welcome to this forum. I also remember when Puck passed away ,it was so sad and I have been following your posts on Darcy. Wow you have come a long way with training her or him. Beautiful bird and I love the pictures you took

coltfire
05-29-2013, 12:17 AM
welcome Remy, and Darcy, what great photo's thanks for sharing .