PDA

View Full Version : My crazy Goffin 2 experience today !!

Pinkbirdy
05-21-2013, 02:15 AM
Yesterday Im on here . Seeing Mars post on her Goffin {Sassy] . Im thinking I love 2s ,I bet a Goffin would be neat . My next stop after here is craigslist. Im going crazy trying to decide on a cage for my RB2 coming . Thought I would just check cragslist just in case. Well on there was a listing for a adult Goffin [ you never see them around here] . Well this bird was 200 [and it included cage] . I thought this poor bird must be bald or something. I couldnt stop thinking about it [ I got the go ahead from Dave ] So I called.It was an older couple [the husbands ill] .They told me about the bird. It wasnt plucked .The problem it was screaming and demanding for attention. It only liked the lady [She would only pet it under her wings] They would put him in a upstairs cage from 11 to 5 pm [so they wouldnt have to hear it ] and to bed with a cover at 8 . So hearing this [you can see the problems ] . I thought this guy could be helped. She wanted the best person [she had alot of interests of course] I would have to set up a time to see him . So my brain immediately goes to [of course she would want me] I Love Love birds !! .So I went to see him . This was the craziest thing I had ever seen This bird would scream if it didnt have your full attention . Then would run and attack you [if it didnt want you in the room ] and this was all the time .It wasnt a nip either, it was a full bite . They had to pick it up with a towel. They of course thought I was great . But for me to walk away from a bird [for me ] is nuts . It was the true bites from this 25 year old bird I had know interest in . What I want to know is what are Goffins really like ? They are a little hyper and are clowns [very demanding ?} I went home and realized how lucky Ive been with my rehomes.

roxynoodle
05-21-2013, 02:30 AM
I can't tell you much about Goffin's, but I've read they may be the smartest and most manipulative of all the 'Toos, lol!

This all does sound like typical behavior from 'Toos that haven't been properly managed though. If you'd like I could probably get you in touch with some people who are knowledgable with rehabbing trouble 'Toos. Sorry, I'm not one of them :)

Mare
05-21-2013, 02:37 AM
So funny! Terri they are ALL that but more. The more part is that they are clowns and have personality, plus. Sassy is good with me until my husband is around, then, I'm in the way. Mine does demand FULL attention. She is hyper and will boink, as in jump, around a room, chase dogs,have no fear (of anything), but still come back to be lovey. They chew on things as much as a larger 'too would, just smaller chunks at a time.
I see that you have a 'too, Belly? What is he/she like?

Pinkbirdy
05-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Thanks Mare [cause now I have a Goffin on the brain] Would you say their doable or not realistic. I dont hear much about them. Is she always wanting to be entertained ? Or can she play by herself? Belly -is a Lesser Sulphur crested 2 . Shes a wild caught 30 plus year old bird .Her owner died ,the family didnt want her. They gave her to the local breeder [who was going to make her a breeder] Sad at this point in her life . They decided to sell her [cause she was too nice ] I was hoping she would be my bird [but Dave held her just long enough for her to like him best] I find this true with rehomes they bond to one person and the rest have to win them over. Belly LOVES LOVES LOVES him . She acts more like the bigger 2s . Not real active [not like the one today LOL] Does well on a set schedule. She does not talk [but communicates well] Very pretty bird . Jealous that beautiful white bird doesnt love me as much.:)

Mare
05-21-2013, 03:24 AM
Terri, I am no way an authority on this. Sassy is the only Goffin's I've ever experienced but from what I've read and heard from other folks, she is pretty normal. I was just now discussing this with my hubby and he agrees, they are a really nice bird, for captivity. The one you witnessed may not be the right one for you. On a whole, though, I think Goffin's are pretty special. Then again, I'm a cockatoo person! By saying that, that's all I know!

Mare
05-21-2013, 03:41 AM
Yes, it sucks when they don't like you as much, I have to agree! But they choose and when they do, we have to accept, bummer!

roxynoodle
05-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Well, think of it like this, you love Dave, so why wouldn't a bird? :th_loltears:

I do know it's not easy to rehab a cockatoo that has manipulated it's humans into constantly entertaining it/cuddling it, but I'm sure it can be done. However you may need to ask yourself if you have that kind of time with your other birds and your relationship, etc.

Pinkbirdy
05-21-2013, 10:05 PM
To be honest [I am glad Bellys happy ] with Dave. That was such a crazy experience yesterday. I have no desire to get that bird at all. I know what I would try [but I realize how much it would affect everything else]. I am curious about what its like to live with a goffin though.There must be more sain experiences out there. :)

Mare
05-22-2013, 01:06 AM
To be honest, my U2 is an easier bird. He is not as on or off, with his affections and everything else, as Sassy. When I read my husband your original post, he laughed and asked me if you had a hidden camera in our home! I suppose they are complex but also thought "I guess most birds are this way". We love the Sassy. We love her spunk and feisty personality. She will give a good bite and it keeps us on our toes. When we get a good bite my husband will say, "could you imagine if that came from Amigo?!". Not knowing other types of birds, other than Amigo, I guess Sassy is lucky to have us!

Pinkbirdy
05-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Ha Ha Mare [I knew someone would tell me :) } That lady with the crazy bird just called me !!! Explaining I would be the only one she would trust. I thought [OH NO] I tried to console her and give her ideas to try. I said I would even go back there and show her. Long story short ,It used to be the bird and the women all day [and he got alot more attention] Now her husbands so ill and home all the time the birds acting out. What my concern is if I had the bird . I want them to have plenty of out time. Im worried about getting bit to death. The only way I would know is to take it out of that situation.

jtbirds
05-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Ok well I will start with these people have wrecked this bird and spoiled him and made this monster. It sounds like he is biting because he is getting no attention and that is his only way to get a reaction pinky I will be in touch with you more about it and we can work on it as now I have an understanding of what you messages me about, scratch what I said this sounds like a bigger issue then I thought... Dang people, and this is what I deal with all the time with cockatoos lol and even worse at times.

Mare
05-22-2013, 03:43 AM
You will not get bit to death, I'm pretty sure about that but you will learn to be quick! These birds are definitely characters that are memorable. They do like their attention from you but the Sass will be fine while hanging out in the back room with Amigo, also, (caged, of course). I think Sassy would get along fine with other birds, she likes Amigo but he can be so aggressive that I would never let them be free together.

Allessa
06-03-2013, 06:22 AM
I have had my Goffins since he was 6 months old. I've watched him go from this sweet whiny baby bird to this crazy hyperactive testy brat!! Haha. Mine has just reached 6 in January which is supposedly the "teen" stage and BOY is it! I think of everyone I am the one who can handle him the best. I'm "mom" and he knows I don't take his crap...but he's VERY smart and manipulative with everyone else in the household. I've seen him act like such an innocent angel when he's in the cage. Luring innocent victims in and letting them scratch his head. The minute he's out of the cage he goes on full blown attack mode. Not paying attention to him? Screaming is the least of your worries. He's flown on my mothers shoulder and if she didnt give him food or look at him he'd bite her ear then take off running! I have to have chains on every single food dish and door and if I don't line up the lock correctly, hell pull the lock in thru the bars and undo the combination!!! The screaming tantrums are just amazing. I remember a while back he would do this bloody high pitch scream. I would run from whenever I was thinking he was dying and there he'd be perfectly fine. (BRAT!!!) After a few times of me not responding to it anymore he finally stopped.
It's really amazing the intelligence level of this bird. Of course he's my only Goffins so I can't say they're all like this...but I did volunteer for a sanctuary for a year and they're all pretty close to the same personality.
All this being said tho...he's my absolute baby. I love him to pieces. It takes a special kind of people to understand (and tollerate!) any kind of Too. They sure are high maintenance. I don't think I cld ever handle a second one.

Mare
06-03-2013, 06:48 AM
They are almost scary intelligent! I can see my Sassy plotting her next move by just watching her. You gotta love them, though. I totally respect her for being what she is, a wild at heart bird, in the house.

Pinkbirdy
06-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Funny everyones posting this [Im ending up with this bird] Im going to get Satan [err I mean Pearl LOL) today !! Ill post later :)

Mare
06-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Yay! Terri!! I knew you had it in you! I've been wondering what you were going to do, it sounds like you will be doing this bird a favor, by taking her home. Looking forward to meeting her and hearing your stories!

Blancaej
06-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Congrats Terri! I just saw this post today and as I was reading through I kinda hoping you would rescue this poor bird. I'm sure this will be a challenge but with some time and patience all should go well! Can't wait to see photos!