PDA

View Full Version : Is This Poop Normal?

rivx
12-24-2018, 01:32 AM
She eats colored pellets, but there's nothing wrong with a little paranoia.

Is this within the realm of normal or should we ask the vet? Her feces have been a little weird for a while (I mentioned she was having diarrhea / more urine/urates, and the vet said she will continue to be a bit mucusy for a while) but I did notice some of these a while before she started acting strange and I can't help but question everything she does.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
(there are red pellet crumbs dropped onto some of these.)

I'm really considering changing to Zupreem natural because the color changes so much. I can never tell when something is going on. Would that change be stressful to her or is the general makeup the same? Is there any difference?

Dragonlady2
12-24-2018, 02:44 AM
My suggestion is to see if the vet will take a look at these pics if you email them to him/her. They look a little off to me and given what she has just gone through it wouldn’t hurt to check it out. Could be the result of taking the antibiotics and the vet can clarify what you should be expecting.
The change in pellets shouldn’t be too stressful, but you may find she will not take to them right away. You could start by mixing the two and gradually cut back on the fruit ones.

rivx
12-24-2018, 02:50 AM
Alright! The vet said she should be normal by tomorrow so I will take updated pictures and Email those then. Should I send both these pictures and the ones I will take tomorrow, or should it not matter?

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-24-2018, 09:54 AM
I would cut out the pellets with artificial coloring altogether and use Harrisons. Does she get any fresh fruit and veggies as well as the pellets?

Dragonlady2
12-24-2018, 11:11 AM
I would send pics from yesterday as well as today. It could be that she is sloughing off any residual egg shell and the vet can maybe confirm this. Let us know how it goes.

rivx
12-24-2018, 05:55 PM
No orange color today but otherwise it is similar. Is Zupreem natural good pellets instead of Harrisons? They are easier for us to get, and not artificially colored.

She eats more veggies than fruits but she does get vegetables, yes! She's picky but we do get her to nibble at least some every day. Emailing the vet now. :th_smile:

Dragonlady2
12-24-2018, 06:05 PM
Harrison’s or TOPs are good pellets. Hagen’s Lifetime Tropican ( I think that’s the name) is also a good pellet. No artificial colouring. It has a real fruity smell.

rivx
12-24-2018, 06:44 PM
I've never seen any of those in stores around here, is my only issue with it. I don't like buying online if I don't have to -- always seems to get delayed!

Dragonlady2
12-24-2018, 06:49 PM
Online is my problem as well. A 10 pound bag of Roudybush costs $45...then add $18 to ship.

rivx
12-24-2018, 11:15 PM
Our vet still hasn't gotten back to us -- should have been open today but, nothing.

They do look more normal now. We were warned they'd be mucusy for a while but aside from that, seems fine.

They had the same weird shape as the second picture from yesterday this morning but it's not diarrhea, and it's not orange so...better, I guess? I'll see if I can get in contact with another vet until ours gets back to us anyways though. :confused-new:

EDIT: Hm. No, that shape is definitely still showing up. There also seems to be more urine. Still better than diarrhea, but different. We ate together for a while and then when she went they were normal, like image 1. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Dragonlady2
12-25-2018, 12:14 AM
You’re not likely to get a vet open during the next couple of days. As long as she is eating and pooping fine you may as well wait until your next appointment with the vet.

rivx
12-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Thought I'd update, they're getting more and more back to normal every day. We still get some of those weird shapes, but she's doing very well!!

She hates the calcium I sprinkle on her food so she is complaining...but she's eating while she does it. :th_biggrin:

Dragonlady2
12-27-2018, 10:38 PM
Great news!