PDA

View Full Version : My rescue Eclectus lunging forward and back

T bird
06-16-2018, 10:50 PM
My Eclectus will lunge forward and back in his cage, sometimes hitting his beak on the cage but not always. Can someone tell me why he's doing this? Tried to add a video but its not downloading for some reason.

Dragonlady2
06-17-2018, 01:02 AM
Is he doing this on his own or is he lunging towards you or something else? Does he make any noise when he is doing this?

T bird
06-17-2018, 01:08 PM
No he's not lunging at anything but doesn't seem happy either. Back and forth. He does it alot. I try talking to him but he just runs away and when I walk away he does it again

T bird
06-17-2018, 01:14 PM
He doesn't make any noise either. He's still not coming out or stepping up Helena. The doors left open all the time. He accidentally stepped up once after I spayed him down in his cage and as soon as he realized he did he flew off and ran back to his cage and climbed up himself wanting no help from me. I give treats talk sweetly. I don't think he wants to bond at all. The lunging thing, he seems very upset but nothing I can see is the cause.

Dragonlady2
06-17-2018, 07:38 PM
My advice to you right now is to try to not be so anxious around him. I have found that my Ekkie is the more sensitive of all my birds. Even my canaries singing will get him to complain. If you don't have much information on his history, you should start from scratch. Until you understand his triggers, his likes, his dislikes...you are at a disadvantage. I know it sounds discouraging...but slow everything down for awhile. If you leave his cage door open and he doesn't come out, it's okay. He won't die and neither will you.
Another thing, Ekkies generally are not cuddly. Their breeding season can be year round so hormones can be in play all the time. Start with a schedule i.e.) up at the same time, to bed at the same time....minimum of 10 hours uninterrupted sleep.
Once he knows what to expect, he may not be as agitated. Just to remind me, what do you feed him and what is his food schedule...i.e.) breakfast lunch and supper?

T bird
06-17-2018, 07:55 PM
We go to bed the same time every night and I feed him breakfast at 8 but he doesn't usually eat for a bit. He gets fresh fruit veggies and some bountiful harvest dried mix. For lunch I will add maybe some noodles or beans but he doesn't eat alot till dinner usually. So sometimes I try sweet potato or something w fruit and some chop but he doesn't eat much veggies I end up throwing alot away. He was only fed dry mix before I got him but I try every day something else. Not sure about the lunging being something I'm doing sometimes he does it if I'm just reading or watching TV. But sometimes it's when he's upset.

Dragonlady2
06-17-2018, 08:25 PM
You are on the right track regarding the food. Just make sure he gets a variety of food. Ekkie are known for just wanting their fruit....so I chop up romaine and kale so that it sticks to the fruit. Keep eating in front of him as that will encourage him to want to share. Food switch overs can be tricky. These things take time.
When you speak to your bird watch his eyes. Mine will watch and listen. Sometimes I just say hi to him while I am sitting on the couch watching tv. They are always watching and listening.
I am sure he will come around with time. It sounds like he did not have a strong relationship with his previous owner and will need to learn that with you.

T bird
06-17-2018, 09:39 PM
No he didn't have a strong relationship w them after a few years he was put in a back bedroom because her husband didn't like him. He's 15 yrs old. That broke my heart. Thank you for your time w listening to me. I will I'm sure have more questions later lol. I just want him to be happy, and I thought he would just fall in love with me for rescuing him. And yes I really want him on my arm bad.��

Dragonlady2
06-17-2018, 10:27 PM
It will come....then you will wish he was off your arm....lol

T bird
06-17-2018, 11:06 PM
Oh I hope your right. Some people say I need to make him or it will only make him think he doesn't have to and he probably won't if I wait too long. Well we will see I will be patient and wait. Thanks so much

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-18-2018, 08:19 AM
Helena's words ring true here, Casper hated me for about six months when he first came to live with us.
Like Pickles, Casper was not given much attention for many years before he came to us and distrusted men because of how he was treated.
I eventually gained his trust and he no longer made me bleed when biting me. Now he reckons that I am better than Margaret at teasing out pin feathers around his neck and on his face so he climbs onto my lap and with his beak grabs a finger which may have been typing an important email to a customer and insists it is put to better use. We all three have a great relationship and unlike some birds he divides his time between the two of us rather than being a "one person bird".
So keep chatting to Pickles, explaining what you are doing like you would to an inquisitive child and hopefully he will become more interactive.
Like children, you can't force them to do something, you have to make them think that it was their idea in the first place. :)

T bird
06-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Thank you Jean-Pierre I will do. There currently doing construction in front of my house very loud! So I had to move his cage and sit w him there. Thank you for your words of encouragement.