PDA

View Full Version : Bad smell?

JustCockatiels
06-13-2018, 04:13 PM
I notice that my 2 year old cockatiel has a horrific smell from her body and her poop has changed with being more liquidly. What should I do?

EDIT:She ate soup last night, hasn’t showered in a week, and is taking medicine for pain in her foot (long story short, cabinet closed on foot) the medicine is pure watery.

EDIT 2: Thank you, our bird is perfectly fine!

Dragonlady2
06-13-2018, 06:38 PM
What do you mean by "soup". She should be eating pellets, fresh veggies and fruit with maybe a little seed. If by "soup" you mean soup you or I would eat, that would definitely be the reason for smelly, wet poops.

JustCockatiels
06-13-2018, 06:40 PM
What do you mean by "soup".

By soup, I mean soup with rice put inside of it. Our bird likes eating the soupy rice.

Dragonlady2
06-13-2018, 07:08 PM
If this is canned soup, there is usually a lot of salt in it. For now, while she is on medication, try skipping the soup and feed her the pellets, fresh foods and seeds. This should help her with her poops and give give her energy while she is recovering. How does her foot look....any chance of an infection?

JustCockatiels
06-13-2018, 07:10 PM
If this is canned soup, there is usually a lot of salt in it. For now, while she is on medication, try skipping the soup and feed her the pellets, fresh foods and seeds. This should help her with her poops and give give her energy while she is recovering. How does her foot look....any chance of an infection?

Its not canned soup, nor is her feet odd/flakey

JustCockatiels
06-13-2018, 07:12 PM
We are also not giving the medication, yesterday was the last day

Lady
06-13-2018, 10:16 PM
Hi JustCockateils,

Glad to hear your bird has finished up the medication. Is it time for the vet to check and see how she is doing or once the meds are finished, should she be okay? You mentioned the medication was watery, could this be a reason if soupy food is all she has been eating.

Dry solid food sure does sound like good advice to help the issue but you could always call the vet and let them know what you discovered, they may want to see her just to make sure she is okay. I'm sure it would ease your mind as well.

JustCockatiels
06-13-2018, 10:18 PM
Hi JustCockateils,

Glad to hear your bird has finished up the medication. Is it time for the vet to check and see how she is doing or once the meds are finished, should she be okay? You mentioned the medication was watery, could this be a reason if soupy food is all she has been eating.

Dry solid food sure does sound like good advice to help the issue but you could always call the vet and let them know what you discovered they may want to see her.

My bird is good now. Her stench is gone as well.

Lady
06-13-2018, 10:19 PM
Great! Did it clear up on it's own or did you find out what to do?

JustCockatiels
06-13-2018, 10:21 PM
Great! Did it clear up on it's own or did you find out what to do?

She ate some seeds, apples, and millets. It cleared up the poo and The stench was probably from rancid food/smoke, and cleared up, too.

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-14-2018, 12:09 PM
Hi JustCockatiels
I am glad that she is fine now but can you tell us more about the smoke you mentioned in your last post?
You are probably already aware that birds have quite complicated and delicate breathing systems as they use the cavities in their bones to store air for when they are flying.

JustCockatiels
06-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Hi JustCockatiels
I am glad that she is fine now but can you tell us more about the smoke you mentioned in your last post?
You are probably already aware that birds have quite complicated and delicate breathing systems as they use the cavities in their bones to store air for when they are flying.

My father-in-law had set up a tiki torch to move flies away. He was constantly getting in and out from the sliding glass door. She might have picked it up from that, because nobody that lives near us smoke.

JustCockatiels
06-14-2018, 03:32 PM
But I don’t think that was the case, because she smelled as if someone had vomited on her. The smell was also stronger on her back than her chest.

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-14-2018, 07:24 PM
Birdy bath time?
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
Casper enjoying an al-fresco shower ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr

JustCockatiels
06-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Birdy bath time?
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
Casper enjoying an al-fresco shower ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr

I wish my bird loved baths that much. She really, REALLY hates them.

Quakerella
06-15-2018, 01:16 AM
I am glad it cleared up for you. Female cockatiels will have watery and very strong smelling droppings during breeding season. I clean my cockatiels cage twice a day during this time.

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-16-2018, 09:26 AM
I wish my bird loved baths that much. She really, REALLY hates them.

That is the only sort of bath that Casper likes - a very fine mist. He hates paddling in the bath and the heavier flow from the shower outlet. It took ages for us to find out and we only tried the mister because of the helpful advice I received on here :)