PDA

View Full Version : Help, Female wont stop wanting to breed/Laying eggs

purpleebchan
12-26-2017, 09:47 PM
NOTE: I have talked to several vets, done what the vets say to do, and done lots of research, done what the research says to do. I was hoping there would be more ideas here. I am at my witts end.

I am extended birdsitting 2 Female Cockatiels. One, Shaia, is good, she also doesn't like me very much. Cooroo is the problem child who loves me overly much.

I have:

Limited Daylight to 8hs
Feeding Pellets only
Limited touch, and especially not below the neck line (Never touched below the neck at the start)
Discouraged/Distracted from "Venting" (Is that what it is called? She sticks her butt on things and chirps)
Limited my interaction
If/when she does lay eggs I make a place just enough for the eggs not to roll around the cage then leave them till she doesn't care anymore.
Moved the stuff in their cages around often, even switched them between the two cages I have.
Make sure Cooroo has access to a cuddlebone and egg shells
*EDIT: I have used false eggs/her passed eggs, but she just lays 4-5 anyway

Any (more) tips/links to disway a bird from wanting me to be her baby daddy? Then eventually she lays eggs (lots), which I know is unhealthy. I am trying to do my best, but the only option so far is an expensive shot that I cannot afford, and neither can the owner (I can't afford because I am not ready for the commitment of a bird, so I am bird sitting, and the owner is between jobs and housing atm)

I really need some new tips I have not tried. A vet mentioned putting the cage on the ground and I just don't have the floor space.

Also both birds don't play with hardly anything, they don't chew on hardly anything, and they refuse to eat veggies even though I try to get them to eat chop every day. They are in seperate cages, mostly because Cooroo attacks Shaia when she has eggs.

Any constructive feedback would help me so much.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
Shaia/Cooroo in their fluffinchop glory.

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-26-2017, 11:38 PM
I'm afraid I can't help with the eggy problem, we only have a male parrot so I can only go by what I have read. Have you tried putting false eggs in her cage?
On the subject of getting them to eat veggies, we have that problem as well. Casper will only eat cooked ones although he does love fresh fruit.
I know it is all about giving them a balanced diet but I can't help thinking that there can't be many vegetables growing in the Amazon canopies so I rather see his point.
He loves having some of what we are eating as we are his flock so he always gets a little bit of pasta or sweet potato or carrot.

Mare
12-27-2017, 01:44 AM
Hello! Such pretty birds! I have a five cockatiels, only one is female. She’s only laid eggs when she and her mate had a nesting box to lay them in. I know that females can/will, lay without a mate though. Does she have a set number of eggs that she lays at a time? Jean-Pierre’s suggestion of the setting the false eggs in her nest is a good one. If you can give her all the eggs that she would normally lay, she may stop laying to reach her quota.

purpleebchan
12-27-2017, 02:31 AM
Yes I have used false eggs but she didn't accept them? Currently I have her passed eggs as false eggs but that doesn't seem to stop her.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Dragonlady2
12-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Just a couple of questions...
How close are the bird's cages? Proximity may encourage laying.
How dark is the room after lights are out? Is she covered at night?
Can you keep the temperature of the room a little cooler?
Can you mix in some fruit with the chop...it may encourage at least trying it.
What kind of pellet are they eating?

purpleebchan
12-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Dragonlady2

How close are the bird's cages? Proximity may encourage laying.
Next to one another, mostly because if Shaia can’t see Cooroo she will scream. They also only tolerate one another. Can you explain why this would encourage laying? They are both girls? And technically they would be sharing a cage if it wasnt for Cooroo attacking Shaia when she has eggs.

How dark is the room after lights are out? Is she covered at night?
Both individually covered. They are uncovered at 10am and covered back up at 5pm. When I do cover them I use a desk lamp while I am still awake, then when I go to bed it is dark.

Can you keep the temperature of the room a little cooler?
I keep my room cooler than the rest of the house in general. But I think between 69-67f degrees

Can you mix in some fruit with the chop...it may encourage at least trying it.
I got a better list from their mom recently and I will try. But they wont eat fruit either that I have tried.

What kind of pellet are they eating?
ZuPreem Pellets, the non colored kind. But now it is mixed with the colored kind cause I ran out and couldnt find more uncolored.

Dragonlady2
12-27-2017, 06:10 PM
I am out of ideas. Have you sought the advice of an avian vet? If you haven't, I would start there. If you have, I would get a second opinion. I find that each vet has their areas of specialty/interest and access to other information. It isn't a criticism of the first vet as much as it is keeping all options open by getting more or different information.

purpleebchan
12-27-2017, 06:42 PM
Dragonlady2

Yes, I have talked to 4 (bird vets) so far. I was calling for price checks on the shot that will reduce her need to lay eggs. Thank you for your help, just trying to get the word out, maybe someone knows something I haven't tried.

Lady
12-28-2017, 12:02 AM
Hi and Welcome to PP.
I'm by far no expert but here is a link to a site I use quite often for general knowledge. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] I sure hope you find a answer that works for all of you.

purpleebchan
12-30-2017, 01:42 AM
Lady

Yes I have read that very page many times.

Can you clarify what an "austerity diet" might involve? Also it says "offering nothing but millets for several weeks" does this mean millet sprigs? Or some other millet?

The only other thing I haven't done is switch the day and night for them. I need to put my Ottlite's back into my main light (which I believe is full spectrum)

This is the newest thing I have done to her cage, she is currently arguing with all of the stuff. Hopefully this will disway her. Fingers Crossed.

gemma23426
12-30-2017, 05:57 AM
Pretty bird. Hopefully, you'll overcome this situation very soon.

Quakerella
12-30-2017, 09:22 PM
You have been given so many great ideas, I wish I could add to them. I wouldn't put her on a strict millet diet though, as the required nutrients just are not there.
I have used false eggs before, with great success. I am always worried about egg binding with cockatiels. Until you find a way to stop or limit the laying I would suggest making sure she has extra calcium.

Lady
01-01-2018, 12:06 AM
"the so-called "austerity diet" -- which is a low-protein diet consisting of a limited variety of seeds and water - and nothing else."
This is what the article states. So now the question is what seeds are low protein? More research will have to be done as I don't know off hand what seeds that would be.