PDA

View Full Version : Budgie sick?

megyorg
12-04-2017, 03:11 PM
I noticed that my 10 month old female was, what appeared to be, pooping on her back. I gave her a bath and got her all cleaned up. The next day, same thing and same location. I cleaned her up again but thoroughly examined the specific area and noticed that on her back at the edge of her right wing, was missing feathers. I was really concerned and gave her extra quiet time, less holding her but still talked to her gently next to her cage. Next day, I noticed the same yellow clumpy stuff by her wing and some on the feathers under her chin. Now I’m really worried. Is this puss? Does she have an infection? I don’t have a ton of money to take her to the vet if I can somehow help her on my own but I’m afraid that’s where I need to take her. She hates when I clean her now and is bitting me hard for the first time ever. She wants nothing to do with me and sqwaks harshly when I get near her cage. We did have a lot of people here last week because of the holidays but I didn’t think it would stress her out that much.

I’m really worried for my Tulip

Quakerella
12-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Hi and welcome to PP.

Can you take a couple of photos so we can get a better idea of what is happening? Is there a cyst, lump or cut where the feathers are missing? You did a good thing by keeping your little one clean, next time give him a good inspection to see if you can notice anything on or under the skin.

A trip to the vet is the best. I understand they can be expensive, maybe there is a vet close that will give you a quick consultation possibly over the phone.

megyorg
12-04-2017, 03:40 PM
She hates every minute of it but I didn’t see any open wounds. Just red where the feathers are gone. i did see this sack at the top that looks like it’s filled with fluid but i don’t know the anatomy of a bird well enough to know what it is. i took pics but not sure how to post them

megyorg
12-04-2017, 04:09 PM
I have to go to my computer to send the pics. will do that soon.

it looks like the sack thing i saw is the crop. i researched that more and a normal one does not have red veins. red veins are a sign of a sick crop. going to do a little more research. maybe the yellow stuff is her puking? i’ve never seen her puke before but i’m not always watching her.

megyorg
12-04-2017, 06:05 PM

Dragonlady2
12-05-2017, 12:11 AM
So sorry to see your poor Tulip like this. I can't really help you. It looks like she has a lot of pin feathers and so she may be a little cranky when you touch them as they can hurt and be itchy. I agree with Quakerella, a trip to the vet is probably necessary. Keep her clean and warm in the meantime. The vet may take payments if you can't pay the whole amount.

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Whilst waiting for the vet appointment (which I would consider essential, if only for peace of mind and general health check) would a soothing spray of some sort be helpful? You may already have discussed this and I missed it.

megyorg
12-05-2017, 02:48 PM
Whilst waiting for the vet appointment (which I would consider essential, if only for peace of mind and general health check) would a soothing spray of some sort be helpful? You may already have discussed this and I missed it.

i haven’t tried it. didn’t know they made that kind of thing. i’m calling the vet this morning. she won’t leave that spot alone and her eyes keep dialating :(

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Here are a couple that are available in the UK, google is your friend for stuff in your area
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] c=2
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Quakerella
12-06-2017, 03:16 PM
I also see a lot of pin feathers that could be aggravating, and yes the second picture looks like the crop. Is she eating? From my experience the crop is not usually filled with fluid, more so solids like pellets or whatever they are eating.

Were you able to get in contact with the vet?