PDA

View Full Version : Candles and Etc

Katydid
11-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Hello, I'm going to make this short and sweet- Are candles safe? Also I'm guessing perfume is a no..?

Dragonlady2
11-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Scented candles, aerosol sprays, perfume.....pretty much anything that has a smell is probably a no no to be on the safe side. Cleaning supplies as well. I recall a woman who lost two of her birds when she used a cleanser in the bathroom. Vinegar will become your best friend as long as it is not heated...apparently some birds have died due to heating vinegar on the stove. There are some cage cleaners that are unsafe for the birds. And of course, teflon, which can be found in other things besides pots and pans....self-cleaning ovens, heaters. Others will be along to add to the list:th_smile:
Good question.

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-09-2017, 07:30 PM
We regularly use unscented candles and tea lights in our inglenook. We do have a seven stage air purifier in the room but I think that any fumes get sucked up the chimney by the log fire.

Katydid
11-09-2017, 11:27 PM
Ok, thanks. The downstairs living room is actually the most busy place in my house, so if I used normal cleaners upstairs, but not downstairs, where the bird will be, would that still not be safe? When you said air purifier, does that decrease the chance of fumes? I really do not want to rescue a bird and be responsible for its death a week later :(

Dragonlady2
11-10-2017, 12:51 AM
I use some cleaners upstairs myself. However, I am able to close the door to the birdroom so the fumes can't enter. Definitely an air purifier with a hepa filter would help. You can't guarantee a sterile environment...you just need to pay attention a little more carefully. When in doubt, maybe you could have a bedroom that you can move the bird to, in a carrier, for a short period time.

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-10-2017, 10:28 AM
F10 is perfectly safe for birds, you can get a trigger bottle full and then top it up with diluted concentrate which is cheaper than to keep buying it in the trigger bottles.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Katydid
11-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Thanks! I definitely will invest in an air purifier! I think the place that I'm going to put the bird when I'm not home will be okay.

MacawMomma
11-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Scented candles, aerosol sprays, perfume.....pretty much anything that has a smell is probably a no no to be on the safe side. Cleaning supplies as well. I recall a woman who lost two of her birds when she used a cleanser in the bathroom. Vinegar will become your best friend as long as it is not heated...apparently some birds have died due to heating vinegar on the stove. There are some cage cleaners that are unsafe for the birds. And of course, teflon, which can be found in other things besides pots and pans....self-cleaning ovens, heaters. Others will be along to add to the list:th_smile:
Good question.

I agree with vinegar and water as a great bird safe cleaner!!!

I’ve stayed away from candles and plug ins, if I want to get some pretty odor in my house I’ll boil some cinnamon in a pot of water (can even add some sliced oranges) and it works so well!

I’m unsure on perfume use, if I use some it’s when I’m leaving the house on a night out [emoji12] So I’m not around my birds, which is a good thing because my Katie preens and licks me [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Margaret forgot herself and sprayed some perfume on when we were driving down to Devon with Casper being rear gunner in the back of the car. I immediately opened all the windows which cooled us all down quite quickly.
Whenever we approach a junction the cry goes out - Hold tight Casper so he knows to hang on. He must have been getting bored after the second hit of two hours on the road because as we neared Barnstaple I looked in the rear mirror and he was hanging upside down from the roof of the travel cage.

MacawMomma
11-13-2017, 10:34 PM
Margaret forgot herself and sprayed some perfume on when we were driving down to Devon with Casper being rear gunner in the back of the car. I immediately opened all the windows which cooled us all down quite quickly.
Whenever we approach a junction the cry goes out - Hold tight Casper so he knows to hang on. He must have been getting bored after the second hit of two hours on the road because as we neared Barnstaple I looked in the rear mirror and he was hanging upside down from the roof of the travel cage.

Haha!! I can just picture Casper doing that!!!

At least you get some entertainment while on the road!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
34 yr old Max- GW Macaw
1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
ADOPT DON’T SHOP [emoji172]

Quakerella
11-15-2017, 03:06 AM
I found a sliced lemon soaked in boiling water makes a fabulous cleaner and smells good. You can baking soda for tough areas or pour into a spray bottle.

Lady
11-15-2017, 09:52 PM
I found a sliced lemon soaked in boiling water makes a fabulous cleaner and smells good. You can baking soda for tough areas or pour into a spray bottle.

It's even great for the laundry!

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-16-2017, 12:47 PM
... and making batter, cleaning tea stains from cups and washing your hair if you have itchy scalp.

Very versatile stuff :)

bill-e
11-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Ventilation is your best friend. Now I'm not advocating doing unsafe things, but in 42 years of bird ownership we have hardly thought of or changed our behavior around these kind of things. Sure, I am not going to refinish a wood floor without taking precautions or use a harsh Chemical to clean her play area but other than that, we just live normal lives....and my wife is addicted to those stinky candles and I heat with wood pellets. My current bird is healthy, happy and never sneezes or shows signs of discomfort.

Back to ventilation. For the last 30 years we've lived in a 250+ year old house with a dirt basement, oil fired hot air heat and windows that are over 150 yrs old and I attribute the fact that none of what i mentioned previously bothers either us or our pets because the house is not well insulated and not air tight...it's well ventilated.

Just be safe and use common sense.

Katydid
12-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Hi! I decided to come back to this thread for more clarity. So the way fumes work, anything with a smell is dangerous. I mean, I know I have to commit to my bird but living without deodorant and body spray? Could I keep things like that in a certain bathroom that the bird will be off limits to? Or do fumes travel through the house? Can I clean certain rooms with normal cleaners, or should I use vinegar for the entire house?

As far as the kitchen goes, I'm really scared of the teflon, because I feel like everything from pans to slow cookers has it. Is red copper safe?

I hope I'm not making a bigger deal out of this than it actually is, I feel like on any websites they don't make a big deal about it.

Dragonlady2
12-03-2017, 04:53 PM
I think the key here is moderation and ensuring air circulation. Some bathroom cleaners even make my eyes water. There are milder options on the market. Look for "green" or "natural" brands. Open windows when cleaning, close the door to the room being cleaned, move the bird to another room until the smell has dissipated are some precautions to take. Use diluted solutions to clean with and try to move/circulate the air. A heppa filter air purifier will help a lot with this. Deodorant use won't kill your bird. Using fabric softener won't kill your bird. There will always be odors in the air.
As for cookware. Teflon products shouldn't be used. Stainless steel, copper etc should be fine....it's whatever you might burn in them that might be the bigger problem...lol.

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Perfumes are just scents like flowers have except they have an alcohol base so they can be used in liquid form. Once the alcohol has evaporated I don't think there is a problem. Margaret puts her perfume on upstairs and by the time she has sorted herself out and got downstairs there isn't a problem.
Modern water based paints shouldn't be a problem, because as they dry they are mainly just giving off water vapour. Not evil like the old fashioned oil based paints which release chemicals into the air as they dry. I still wouldn't paint in the same room as the bird and would well ventilate the room I was painting.
Spray cans of cellulose paint are deadly for parrots and not much better for humans.
I did get concerned when Margaret used furniture wax polish in the room where Casper was. It was quite smelly. I took him upstairs and it didn't seem to affect him.
We use Poop-off and F10 (see above) for cleaning the cage because we know these are safe. When he first came to us Margaret nearly killed Casper using a household cleaner on the cage whilst he was still inside. Poor little thing, he spent a week at the vets having nebulisers and stuff. The vet told us about F10, said it would be perfectly safe if accidentally sprayed directly over Casper but not to do it. We get the F10 and Poop-off mail order, usually at the same time as ordering Casper's food and treats/toys.