PDA

View Full Version : Is ceramic safe?

Rezi
08-04-2017, 04:40 PM
I have a little dog bowl that I previously had a chocolate mint plant sitting in and since it died after Lemon got overheated and I was focused on him and forgot to water it. I was thinking about using the bowl for veggies.

I know I've read about ceramic being used but I just want to double check that it's okay to use. I did of course clean it.

Edit: I think it's actually made of a thing called melamine and I don't know what that is at all.

Quakerella
08-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Can you take a picture?

Melamine is fine, very durable and unlikely your little one would crack it. Melamine is a hard plastic. Just don't put in microwave or heat it.

I would question a ceramic bowl. They are usually painted and glazed.

If there are any chips in the glaze the paint could flake, and it is possible it may contain lead.

Rezi
08-04-2017, 05:32 PM
I can't get the BBC codes but here's a link to them
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Dragonlady2
08-04-2017, 06:10 PM
You probably could use that bowl for veggies. Just make sure to clean it thoroughly after each use to ensure there is no bacteria.

Macaw Lover
08-07-2017, 01:35 AM
If it was made in Mexico, throw it out and don't use it for any animal. Any ceramic from Mexico is not safe.

Same goes for those big round mixing bowls with the pretty stripes around it like our Grandmothers used to use. Those bowls are deadly, and if I remember right, it was lead in there that would leach out into the foods.

Check out the first few bowls in the link below, that is what I am talking about.

Rezi
08-07-2017, 02:54 AM
I don't understand what them being from Mexico would have to do with anything. What's wrong with ceramic from Mexico?

I would highly suggest they were from China or something. It doesn't say. But it's not ceramic. I saw that the sticker on the bottom said melamine and I googled that and it's a type of plastic used for plates, bowls, and other stuff like that.

Dragonlady2
08-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Some items from Mexico may contain clay with high lead levels. Better to err on the side of caution unless you have definitive proof there is no lead.

Macaw Lover
08-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Melamine & China - just those two words sends chills up my spine. Then it was discovered there was lead in the paint of things China produced, specifically baby toys, toys babies put into their mouths or teeth on. When all that poop hit the fan a few years back, there was another bird group and one of the members was in the Navy and I think he was a chemist. He explained the chemical properties and how they interacted. I did not save that info but the bottom line was I will not buy anything made of silicone that comes from China. No cutting boards, those baking sheets or pans where things just pop off them easily. Nope, not here, I don't need to be eating that crap.

People want cheap stuff, the cheaper the better so China has taken over in producing stuffs to satisfy that desire but it is killing us at the same time. Cheaper is not always better and to trust that China has cleaned up their act, THAT is highly doubtful.

Rezi
08-07-2017, 05:09 PM
I'm just saying China because we get half of our stuff from either China or by using things from china. I didn't know that anything happened with China's products harming people. Considering half the things in my house are "Made in China" it's strange.

But China has had some questionable things in their history but then who doesn't? I might swap it if I can get another steel bowl. Hopefully that'll be soon.