PDA

View Full Version : Had one heck of a scare last night

94lt1
05-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Starburst and Rain were getting some what acquainted and Starburst lunged at rain. I quickly pulled my hands away(they were sitting on my index fingers on opposing hands..)

Starburst hit the ground with a thud and started flapping in the weirdest way... Now realize before you say anything, that it wasn't my intention to make him fall, his lunge did that.. I just wanted to distance them...

I immediately thought concussion or worse... So I called my vet, he came over and checked out Starburst... Said there was nothing wrong.. It was probably the shock of falling and the surprise at how fast it happened..

So he told me what to watch for as far as signs of trauma.. I stayed up watching Starburst all night... Nothing.. This morning he was playful, coordinated and vocal....

Now the sad part... We were just starting to be friends again after a hawk attack set him on edge.. I grabbed him to keep him safe... He didn't take it that way :( now he acts like I'm bad news again... I'll keep trying with him.... But man... This sucks...

Needless to say.. I feel low...

keepsmiling
05-18-2013, 08:09 PM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] will come around. I am sorry this happened.:th_hug8: Are they clipped? This is one of my biggest fears about clipped birds. They fall like a rock and can split open their keel. My vet says he sees more split keels than any other injury. Perhaps it would be better for Starburst and Rain to get to know one another on their own terms, with you supervising? Then you are not a source for any jealous feelings. More often than not, birds work out their differences, rank, etc. It sounds worse than it is. Good luck.

94lt1
05-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Yeah.. Good idea about letting them work it out.. But I just don't want one to hurt the other.. Starburst is sooo much bigger than rain.. Idk...

So far though... Starburst is acting fine.. But won't give me the time of day.. He now flies away from me...

Also.. No, they're not flighted.. But they can fly a short distance.. We leave them with that ability to try to prevent the falling like a rock issue..

roxynoodle
05-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Some birds are more rock like than others :) I know my Grey and Nanday are quite hefty for their sizes. When my Nanday was clipped back when I first got her, she couldn't fly at all and would just drop to the ground. My Blue Crown, however, was clipped by the breeder and seemed to fly just fine (so it was quite pointless to my mind to clip them).

As for Starburst being upset with you, it will pass. I know it hurts your feelings and might take a few days for him to get over it, but he will. Once after a vet visit, Pete threw pellets at me for 3 days and kept yelling, "I good boy!" After his 3 days of being upset, life returned to normal.

I'm glad they are both ok. Maybe the introductions need to move at a slower pace.

94lt1
05-19-2013, 11:50 PM
Yeah the introductions have definitely been slowed down... Lol

ShellyBorg
05-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Lots of treats for you and the bird!

Blancaej
05-20-2013, 01:10 AM
So sorry that did not go better but I'm glad Starburst did not get hurt. I'm sure after a day or two things will be better. Try to keep your chin up! I know it's hard, been there done that. :)

headfeathermistress
05-20-2013, 03:24 AM
I hate it when things like that happen. Time to break out the super yummy treats and offer them to him. He will like you again!

94lt1
05-20-2013, 12:49 PM
He's actually had a problem with me since we had a hawk try to swoop... He tried to fly away but he's clipped and there's no way he'd have been more secure than with my 6'6" body over him...
So I grabbed him and held him into my my chest and smacked the hawk into next month... It flew away.. But ever since Starburst has associated me with that scare... I saved his life.... But he doesn't see it that way..

The story of the hawk...
My wife had him outside and didn't see the Hawks way up in the air circling... .. I ran outside to tell her just in time to see this hawk starting to swoop and Starburst trying to flap by...

If I had it to do all over, other than telling the wife about the Hawks sooner(couldn't find her) I'd do it the same...

Idk.. But I'll say this... If I'm his enemy for saving his feathered butt... So be it.. I love him to death, whatever I had/have to do to keep him safe.... That's what I'll do...

ACEPHONECHIC
05-20-2013, 02:47 PM
I have a Sun Conure Zak and he has his mood swings. Love him to bits but he can be sat on me and then decide that he will swoop at me and once took a chunk out under my chin. Sun Conures do seem to get insanely jealous. Puberty was a nightmare with Zak and my husband Mike he would swoop across the room to bite him, gladly that has passed and normally he is a darling who likes cuddles. He spends alot of time doing baby Ruby the Crimson Bellied feathers. I know it is hard but he will come through it and start to love you again.

Minamommy
04-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Brandon I don't blame you. We have a hawk that has made a nest in the tree outside my parrot room window!!! Now it's nice and 70 degrees here, I'm thinking poor Mina will have to go out in a cage this summer. She is clipped as well.