PDA

View Full Version : Pet safe cookware

M_sport
07-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Hi there,
New to the forum. We've always had birds but have either been outside or far from the kitchen. Will be finally getting an alex in October. My question is if someone could recommend pet safe cookware. He won't be in the kitchen but close. Any suggestions would be great. We are in Melbourne Australia. Tia

Dragonlady2
07-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Welcome to Precisely Parrots! I use stainless steel pots and pans. This is probably the safest. Two of my frying pans have a form of ceramic as the lining. The concern is not to use anything with Teflon. Although it is supposed to be safe at lower temps, too many times you read about pans being overheated and birds dying due to the release of fumes. There is also some question about self-cleaning ovens.
Please feel free to ask questions. I am sure others will be along that can give you more advice on safe cookware.:th_smile:

kendrafitz
07-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Hi Tia and welcome to the forum.

Any cookware with nonstick coating should not be used. We use stainless steel pots and pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlaxMacaws
07-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Greetings, Tia. Welcome to our community.

I agree that to ensure as much safety as possible, any cookware with non-stick surfacing should be avoided. The real danger is from a substance that's the basic element in Teflon coatings known as Polytetrafluoroethylene (or PTFE). There are various non-stick coatings available whose manufacturers claim to be 100% ceramic or otherwise Teflon-free. But in my view to accept such claims and trust the products for use around feathered companions would be to merely rely upon marketing assertions.

Coatings containing PTFE are prone to outgas when superheated. Once that occurs it may well prove fatal for any pet birds, even if they are several rooms away from the source. I've encountered more than one report of PTFE outgassing that resulted in death for birds who were enclosed in rooms non-adjacent to the source of the superheated cookware, and even with the room door shut tightly. In my opinion, it's something not worth leaving to chance.

Casper's 2nd best friend
07-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Helpful information on cookware here [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Quakerella
07-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Only use stainless steel here as well.

When I was doing a little overthinking(as I sometimes do), I really believe in the long run it is cheaper to buy a good set of stainless steel. I have had my set of pots and pans for almost 20 years and they are still like new. Believe me they have been burnt a few times, but they clean up great. I think if I was to have had a cheaper set of pans I would have to replace them every few years. Even if you buy one really good one every few months, I think it would pay off in the end.

Casper's 2nd best friend
07-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Cast iron skillets and marmites/casserole dishes are great. Do you have LeCreuset pans in the US?

Lady
07-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Hi Tia,

:th_welcomesign: I have cast iron for frying and stainless steel pots for everything else. Congratulations on your new family member, looking forward to hearing all about him/her!!

PlaxMacaws
07-06-2017, 10:35 PM
On a side note, I'm thinking we may have interpreted a bit incorrectly when referring to the OP as "Tia". Why so? Simply because "Tia" is not only a first name... it's as well short for "Thanks in advance" :th_laughing8:

Dragonlady2
07-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Cast iron skillets and marmites/casserole dishes are great. Do you have LeCreuset pans in the US?

I would love to have some LeCreuset cookware, but it is really expensive here. I have gotten into using more casserole dishes. Easier for clean-up when it's all in one dish:th_biggrin:

Casper's 2nd best friend
07-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Not cheap here either but this doesn't seem to stop Margaret from saying things like "ooh, I haven't got one of those in that colour"... grrr. :)
We found a wonderful kitchenware shop in Holland where Margaret bought a pan, the salesman then insisted on giving us a half hour lecture on care and use of LeCreuset pans. I was trying to hurry him along as we had to get the boat through the lift bridge when it opened but he wasn't to be rushed so we ended up having to run all the way back to the boat. Otherwise we would have been stuck there for another day because we would have missed the tide.