PDA

View Full Version : Just how bad is the dust?

Arztwolf
06-22-2017, 02:49 PM
I'm thinking of getting a tiel in the future but the dust gives me pause.

How bad is it? How much does one tiel produce in a day?

Dragonlady2
06-22-2017, 07:57 PM
I haven't had a tiel. Given their size, the dust is probably manageable. Hopefully, someone will come along with some experience with them.

Lady
06-23-2017, 12:36 AM
I also never had a tiel either but have read that the dust can be managed. With a quick internet search here is one of many articles that can give you more information on the subject.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Quakerella
06-23-2017, 12:55 AM
I currently have cockatiels and they do produce a fair amount of dust, more than my IRN's and quakers. It is manageable though. They do love to be misted which helps, and cage cleaning and floor cleaning is required on a daily basis. I have to do this to keep my asthma in check. If I keep everything clean there is no problem at all. I love the cockatiels, they are so very social and loving.

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Even though Amazons do not produce any dust, just fluff and feather casing shrapnel we have a seven stage air filter in Casper's room. Mainly to protect his airways from any stuff we may forgetfully use in his area. When the automatic goes to max we have to work out why. A glass of whisky sets it off - its very sensitive.

Lady
06-24-2017, 04:43 AM
Geez, is Casper still getting into your cabinet? I thought you put that stuff under lock and key????? :th_hehe:

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Does a small bird create more dust than a human body exfoliating skin? If you have ever wondered why the furniture in your bedroom is always so dusty, its because human skin is constantly regenerating itself. Look at everything in a general view with a sense of proportion :)

Dragonlady2
06-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Does a small bird create more dust than a human body exfoliating skin? If you have ever wondered why the furniture in your bedroom is always so dusty, its because human skin is constantly regenerating itself. Look at everything in a general view with a sense of proportion :)

So, after reading this, I have gone dust crazy. I am dusting every surface in the bedroom, washing sheets, vacuuming etc,...thanks, I think.:th_biggrin:

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Haha glad to hear that your bedroom is all shiny-shiney for a day. :)

I'd still be interested to know whether humans or parrots make the most dust.

For those that may be wondering what Alice is on about, here is the pic I think she is referring to
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
The guardian of the bottles ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr

MacawMomma
07-02-2017, 03:17 AM
I grew up with cocktails and never even noticed the dust!!

I think as long as you are relatively clean, you'll be ok! ;)

They are such loving birds, I would get one in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casper's 2nd best friend
07-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Cocktails haha, confused by the picture :pinkgrin:

MacawMomma
07-02-2017, 10:44 PM
Cocktails haha, confused by the picture :pinkgrin:

Autocorrect strikes again! That or I just have cocktails on the mind! [emoji12][emoji484]

Quakerella
07-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Didn't even notice when I read the post. Maybe we all have cocktails on the mind, perhaps the sunny weather is helping.

Casper's 2nd best friend
07-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Happy 4th of July America :)

kendrafitz
07-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Happy Belated 4th! Hope it was fun and safe!