PDA

View Full Version : Shipping costs.

Dragonlady2
06-11-2017, 12:59 PM
I usually order my supplies online. However, I am finding in Canada, it costs almost as much to ship as the worth of the order. From the US, the issue becomes the exchange, length of time and shipping costs. I have better luck shipping from the U.K. I can usually get items quicker as well.
Anyone else have the same issues? Do you still order online?
The only thing I order online anymore are the Roudybush pellets from Quebec. The Dollar store has some things I can use for toy making, but it is limited in selection as well.

Quakerella
06-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Helena, shipping is outrageous. That is why I went to flat rate. My daughter makes jewelry and she also did the same thing.
Unfortunately, some of my items I can't get from anywhere but one place in the US but I don't mind spending the shipping cost because I know I can trust them and they are pretty quick. I don't find Canada Post takes too long, usually one of my packages will get to the east coast in about 3 days (PEI a little longer).

They need to do something about the cost though. It is cheaper for me to ship to the US than it is to ship within Canada:(

Dragonlady2
06-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Yeah...I don't understand the cost of shipping in Canada. Rosalyn, is it cheaper to ship by box or bag, both weights being equal? I looked at buying my pellets from an online seller and I was able to get 4 more pounds and it cost $10.00 less by going directly to a Roudybush distributor in another province.

kendrafitz
06-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Wow, that is crazy!

I generally only order from sites that offer free shipping. Amazon is my favorite bc I have Prime and can often get things delivered the same day.

Does Amazon offer anything like that in Canada?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragonlady2
06-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Yes, I shop online with Amazon.ca, but the selection is not as good as Amazon.com which is not available to us.

Quakerella
06-11-2017, 10:32 PM
I haven't shopped with Amazon. I usually go directly to the manufacturer, I find it so much easier and some what cheaper. I will take a look though.

is it cheaper to ship by box or bag, both weights being equal?
I find the size of the item seems to affect the shipping cost more than the weight. If I send a 12" x 12" x 30" package to B.C. (approx 3000 miles) it will cost the same if it was one pound or two pounds. The same package will cost only $3.00 less if I send to Toronto which is about 125 miles. Sometimes it would actually be cheaper to drive it there myself.

NitaAlexis
12-10-2021, 05:55 AM
I'd prefer to drive myself there. For the experience and exposure and variety in making a choice.

Dragonlady2
12-10-2021, 02:16 PM
I did that for a while, but it was becoming more of a problem due to distance. More recently, I have found a website that offers free shipping which works out better for me.
What birds are you buying for?