PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack

Kalidasa
05-18-2013, 02:47 AM
Well I finally got Nika down for the night....she gave me an enormous scare and I'm still a little off my square over it. It was getting close to bedtime, and I put her in her house and went to my bedroom to get the budgies who were playing. She starts screaming bloody murder, I mean sheer terror screaming, so I run to her and she's hanging on the door freaking out so I open it to get her and calm her down and she takes off like a shot (flying...oh, I guess she can fly now!) across the room and right into a window, and fell into the couch. I got her and held her against my chest until she calmed down, and it was clear that it was something out of the window near her house that scared her. As it was almost dark, I'm assuming it was a reflection of some sort, so I pulled the blinds and she immediately forgot all about it, ready to cuddle and play....and she was pressing her little head into my hand or cheek as always, so I'm assuming her head doesn't hurt. Note to self: draw the blinds when it gets dark.

Mare
05-18-2013, 02:52 AM
It's amazing what sets them off, isn't it? All I can think, sometimes, is birds are weirdos!

Pinkbirdy
05-18-2013, 02:54 AM
Glad she didnt hurt herself flying into the window :(

Kalidasa
05-18-2013, 03:34 AM
I really don't want to clip her. I believe she's been clipped her whole life, and I've always had fully flighted birds....but I'm wondering if she might need more time. I do believe that clipping at the very beginning is safer for the bird until its oriented and tame. But her flight feathers are coming in fast, and I'm wondering if she needs more time to adjust, as its only been about 6 weeks. I'm really on the fence and very stressed out about it. I want her to fly---safely.
I'm also concerned about my 2 budgies safety a little. They are lightening fast, expert fliers, but I'm sure shed be able to catch up in time. It seems they annoy her at times, and I wouldn't want her to get to one.

keepsmiling
05-18-2013, 08:24 AM
I don't believe in clipping, ever. Take her up and show her the windows. There are also decals you can get. Holly had a scare last night after dark. Not sure what caused it, but usually it's something outside. I only keep one window covered in the birdroom. I am glad she was ok.:th_hug8:

Kalidasa
05-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks Carole. She's tough as nails and shook it off, I'm the one who almost needed to be rushed to the ER!
Her cage is in front of a huge picture window which she loves (she was also sunlight deprived) and there's another window on the opposite wall...that's the one she flew into. I'm certain she hit it because she doesn't know how to put on the brakes, her landings are pretty clumsy. And it is possible that she saw something outside, a cat, a hawk, a woodchuck, or person. I'm keeping the blinds closed in the evenings. I should have been doing it all along, I guess I just needed her to point it out! :th_Budgie::th_CONURE::th_shocked3::th_shocked3::t h_shocked3:

roxynoodle
05-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Being in front of the window is not going to help her with sunlight deprivation. Glass blocks up to 90% of the UV rays. You will either need to take her outside 3 or 4 times per week or get a full spectrum bulb for her.

I see you are in Detroit, so outside in the winter is not really an option, and you probably also have West Nile there.

Kalidasa
05-18-2013, 12:30 PM
They get outside every day that its above 75 F. No I meant that she never saw sunlight indoors or out. She gets outside daily, but when she's not I want her to at least be in sunlight, thru a window or not. 10% in the winter is better than none.
Not seeing sunlight is depressing.....as are people who only see gloom and doom and impending disaster. I do not leave in a fear-based world Audrey, nor would I ever want to.

roxynoodle
05-18-2013, 01:01 PM
I wasn't trying to offend you.

If the fear based world comment was in regards to the West Nile, I live a little over an hour south of you and I had West Nile myself 7 or 8 years ago. I was fine, it was like having the flu so I felt bad for about a week. However my understanding is that for birds it is a 100% fatal illness, and horses don't do very well with it either. However, there is a vaccine for the horses (it's not a 100% perfect vaccine, but it's a lot better than nothing for them).

It is up to each of us though to make our own decisions on these things.