PDA

View Full Version : Does any body have any pics of their indoor aviary or indoor aviary ideas to share?

Gimby
03-04-2017, 01:46 AM
I just recently bought an indoor aviary for my GW macaw. Im super excited to decorate it! I mean I feel like a kid about to get a brand new toy. Does any body have any pics of their aviaries theyd like to share?? Or ideas?

PlaxMacaws
03-04-2017, 06:15 AM
Hi Gimby. Welcome to PP. Unfortunately, right now I'm dealing with some serious personal matters and thus can't offer much. But I'm sure you'll enjoy the planning and set up phases. Hopefully your GW will be happy with your efforts as well :D

I'm hoping some of our other members chime in and perhaps throw some ideas and/or maybe a photo or two your way. I'll check back here once I'm freed up a bit. And if you want, feel free to post some pics of your bird and his quarters or of what you're planning.

Have fun :)

Gimby
03-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Hi Gimby. Welcome to PP. Unfortunately, right now I'm dealing with some serious personal matters and thus can't offer much. But I'm sure you'll enjoy the planning and set up phases. Hopefully your GW will be happy with your efforts as well :D

I'm hoping some of our other members chime in and perhaps throw some ideas and/or maybe a photo or two your way. I'll check back here once I'm freed up a bit. And if you want, feel free to post some pics of your bird and his quarters or of what you're planning.

Have fun :)

Im sorry to hear that. Hope all gets well for you. Ok Thank you.

Dragonlady2
03-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Hi Gimby. Welcome to the forum! How exciting to get such a great space for your Macaw. What are the dimensions of the aviary? That might determine what you can comfortably have in it for your macaw.

Please feel free to share some pics of your flock. We look forward to hearing more about your flock.:th_smile:

Gimby
03-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Hi Gimby. Welcome to the forum! How exciting to get such a great space for your Macaw. What are the dimensions of the aviary? That might determine what you can comfortably have in it for your macaw.
Please feel free to share some pics of your flock. We look forward to hearing more about your flock.:th_smile:

Hi,
It is an A&E 86"x62"x79" indoor aviary. Ive done a bunch of research found sites that'll sell manzanita, dragon wood forks (branches) and non oiled ready to hang ropes but when I look up examples of how people decorated their parrots aviaries I onlyfind a few and their usually zoos aviaries. I know how I want to decorate it but Id like to look at how other people decorated theirs to get other ideas.

Dragonlady2
03-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Well, I don't have a macaw, but when I have prepared any of my cages I took into account what my bird likes/ prefers. Using different perches is a must and I do ensure that every cage has 4-5 different perches. When it comes to toys or activities, my conure loves bells and preening toys to hide under, so he will have more of those. My Eclectus likes his foraging toys, so he has 3-4 placed all over his cage. Toys are also subject to change once the interest shifts to something else.

You have made a good start identifying different perches to use. If your macaw has particular toys that he favours, you can start by adding them.
Hopefully others will post and give you some other ideas.

Lady
03-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Hi Gimby,
Welcome to you and your GW. We just recently brought a new and much bigger cage for our mini mac Lady. Only had it for around a month and I"m still changing perches and toys to see what seems to work for her. She really enjoys being a cage potato but does come out often to play on the play area above the cage. I enjoy giving her toys in the play area to see which one she enjoys the most. She has had a straw mat that she like to rearrange and tear apart this week. She also enjoys a hiding place so sometimes I place a towel across the ladder and top perch for her to go underneath. With Lady we also have to watch what type of toys to give her because she tends to regurgitate on the cotton rope a bit more than I care to allow. So her toys are mostly wood and some sisal rope along with a good mix of plastic. They are much easier to keep clean or toss out if she has torn them up. I also want to get a platform perch for her so she can have a place to flatten out her feet if she wants too.

Looking forward to seeing your GW and how you set up his or her space.

Gimby
03-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Aww your mini mac is beautiful. What kind of mini mac is she? Thank you for the reminder - plat form perches. I almost forgot! I wont be getting the aviary till June reason being I wanted white not black lol. It'll be awhile before I am able to post pics of my setup but in the meantime I'm gathering and planning as much as possible :)

Lady
03-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Well not getting your aviary till June is good, you have more time to shop or make your own toys for her. Lady is an Illiger's Macaw.

Girl_Digital
03-11-2017, 06:00 PM
I know how your feel!! I bought a large perch that goes diagonal across Jimmy's home. I hang several chewing toys along the perch. He has a hoop on one side to swing on, and a spiral rope on the opposite side. He also has two pumice perches... one is next to his food and the other is next to his tire chew toy. I also bought a large net that is on the out side of the cage. Since he is out whenever I am home, I thought he would be interested in it... but nope, not really. I always find myself changing things... and of course changing the toys cause he chews them pretty much in a week.

Lady
03-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Hi Carmen,
:pp_welcome:to you and Jimmy. Nice set up you have there for him. Now that is a big cage!

PlaxMacaws
03-11-2017, 07:01 PM
I know how your feel!! I bought a large perch that goes diagonal across Jimmy's home. I hang several chewing toys along the perch. He has a hoop on one side to swing on, and a spiral rope on the opposite side. He also has two pumice perches... one is next to his food and the other is next to his tire chew toy. I also bought a large net that is on the out side of the cage. Since he is out whenever I am home, I thought he would be interested in it... but nope, not really. I always find myself changing things... and of course changing the toys cause he chews them pretty much in a week.Welcome to our community, Carmen :D. Wow! Jimmy certainly hit the jackpot with that big, beautiful cage of his. I'm sure he has plenty of fun while in it (and on it) each day.

I have a safety suggestion, though. One thing that I always warn folks about is that they should consider slipping some pvc pipe sections over any exposed chain lengths that are long enough to wrap around a bird's neck during play activity. Sometimes when a parrot is hanging from above it may be able to inadvertently loop an exposed portion of a support chain around its neck. So sadly, that may prove fatal one day for some birds. Thankfully, it's an easy scenario to preclude by simply rigidifying most of each chain's or other ligature's length. Here's our warning on the risk: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]*WARNING*-Inspect-and-monitor-your-hanging-bird-toys!

Again though, Jimmy's quarters are most impressive... he must be a happy bird :). Thanks for sharing.

Lady
03-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Good eyes on spotting those chain's Tony. I had to take a second look when I read your post! I also must say depending on the size of the chain Carmen might keep an eye on whether or not Jimmy's toes could get caught as well. I've had Lady get caught and it was scary for all of us!

Dragonlady2
03-11-2017, 08:25 PM
You have an awesome set-up for your macaw. I am guessing he is pretty happy when he has to be in his cage. I have a similar set-up for my Eclectus. How old is Jimmy?

Girl_Digital
03-11-2017, 09:44 PM
I want to thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

Tony, I will definitely head to home depot and get some pvc pipe tomorrow. I never even thought of that happening, but with the way he plays... I can see that as a possibility. It will be corrected asap! We would be devastated if anything ever happened to him.

Helena, Jimmy will be 2 years old in May. I originally wanted to adopt a rescue parrot, but I felt that my experience level was not sufficient to handle and correct a troubled little guy. I knew he was going to be a handful straight from the egg!!! :th_smile: He is so much fun though!

PlaxMacaws
03-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Tony, I will definitely head to home depot and get some pvc pipe tomorrow. I never even thought of that happening, but with the way he plays... I can see that as a possibility. It will be corrected asap! We would be devastated if anything ever happened to him.Good on you, Carmen! It's easy to tell that you love him very much and that he's a wonderful companion :)