PDA

View Full Version : New manzanita stand for Shaggy

Mare
01-02-2017, 10:16 PM

Shaggy needed a new stand so I went and cut some manzanita from the property..and MADE one! He loves it, I now need to add some play things and a couple of bowls :)

Dragonlady2
01-02-2017, 10:50 PM
Wow, I love that stand. I wish we had those kinds of trees/branches here. I am sure Shaggy will be quite happy once you have added the rest of the things. Way to go Mare.

Mare
01-03-2017, 01:52 AM
Thanks, Helena! :). I've made manzanita perches and stands in the past, even sold some. The owner of the new pet store in town, wants to check them out..I might be able to sell a few there. I enjoy collecting the wood, cutting it to size, sanding and screwing pieces together, plus..we have an abundance of manzanita on our property. I've checked them out on line and can't believe how expensive they are! I couldn't see charging anywheres near that much.

Lady
01-03-2017, 03:27 AM
WOW how cool Mare! Lucky guy. If shipping wasn't a big hassle, I would want one or two for Lady, even the way it looks before all the extras! :loveit:

Mare
01-03-2017, 04:51 AM
Alice, if you seriously want one and just pay for shipping, I would gladly collect the wood, cut it and sand it. All you'd have to do is screw the base to a square piece of 3/4 inch plywood and screw on the perches..super simple. It would be easier to package if it was in pieces.

Quakerella
01-03-2017, 02:27 PM
I love it, well done Mare!!

Mare
01-03-2017, 11:40 PM
Thank you, Rosalyn! I stopped by the pet shop today, picked up some "full spectrum" bulbs I'd ordered. I spoke again with the owner and he's excited to see what I've got, which isn't much at the moment :). We talked about what he thought might sell well and because most of his customers are small bird owners, he thought the inside cage perches might be most popular.

You folks with smaller birds..do you use standing perches and if so, are they for the counter/table or floor? Thanks, any feed back is appreciated! :)

Dragonlady2
01-04-2017, 12:35 AM
I use table and floor perches for them all. I think that the more mobile, table perches would work better for smaller birds because they could be easily moved from room to room. They would probably be more affordable as well. I would screw in some eye rings too so that toys could be hung off them. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Quakerella
01-04-2017, 12:44 AM
I use table and floor perches for them all. Me too. Move them from room to room without any trouble. I also, am looking forward to seeing your project finished.

kendrafitz
01-04-2017, 11:59 PM
Awesome stand and awesome new side business Mare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady
01-06-2017, 01:25 AM
Thanks Mare,
That is a very gracious offer and I might just take you up on it in the future. Lady has a floor stand but I mainly use it to work on trying to get her to step up. She has plenty of toys on it but they hang and she isn't the kind of bird to pull them up to her to play with. When her new cage arrives I hope it will be a big improvement with her activity so for now I want to take one new thing at a time and see how she reacts.
I also have a table top, it is only one perch but has a bowl that can be removed or left on. She and I use the bowl for foot toys and it seems to me she has more fun with this stand because I'm there entertaining her with the toys.

Pinkbirdy
01-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Did you order this cage ? It's nice and big ☺

Mare
01-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Did you order this cage ? It's nice and big ☺

Hello..?..I'm going to take a wild guess..all hair stylists are knuckleheads :)

I say this lovingly..I am one also :)

Mare
01-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Thanks, Kendra, I'll see where it goes. Thanks for the feedback, ladies, I hadn't really thought of table stands..those will be fun! I'm in Southern California at the moment. My 92 year old dad is quickly sliding down hill. He's always been such a force, it's sad to see him this way. When I get back home I'll be in full production mode :)

Dragonlady2
01-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your father, Mare.
I look forward to seeing what you create when you are home again. You can test them with your cockatiels and label them "cockatiel approved".

Quakerella
01-07-2017, 05:39 PM
I too am very sorry to hear about your father, please keep us updated. Enjoy your time with him, the playstands will wait for you to come home.

I do look forward to seeing the finished products though.

LesliesBabies
07-23-2018, 03:57 PM
You folks with smaller birds..do you use standing perches and if so, are they for the counter/table or floor? Thanks, any feed back is appreciated! :)

I know this is late but wanted to answer anyway. The city down the way has a thrift store with furniture. I bought some pc/office chairs and removed the chairs. VOILA moving stand! Add perched with ss eye hooks screwed in and you can attach toys, swings, ladders, etc. for hours of playtime fun that's customizable to each species.

Before, I regularly replaced tabletop gyms. Now, I just replace toys, etc.