PDA

View Full Version : Shaggy, my chew-chew monkey

Mare
12-03-2016, 05:49 PM

We are off to the vet again on Monday. Another beak trim. I'm hoping this isn't going to have to be a forever monthly visit thing. I'll try and get a good pic of his beak, head on, for you to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quakerella
12-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Wow, he is so beautiful. Does he mind having his beak trimmed?

Mare
12-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Well..Rosalyn, I wouldn't say he enjoys it :th_eek: he gets home pretty subdued and is quiet for quite awhile..poor buddy.

kendrafitz
12-03-2016, 07:01 PM
He is playing with his toy so gently! What a sweet guy. Hopefully he won't have to go to the vet so often in the future.

Quakerella
12-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Well..Rosalyn, I wouldn't say he enjoys it he gets home pretty subdued and is quiet for quite awhile..poor buddy. Awe, but I bet he gets a special treat afterwards

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Wow, he is so beautiful. Does he mind having his beak trimmed?

Probably about as much as we like going to the dentist. :)

Mare
12-04-2016, 03:43 AM
Last month when we were at the vets, I was in the room while the dremel came into play. I will not do that again. I could tell he wasn't happy and it made me very uncomfortable having to watch. Much like Jean-Pierre suggests..a tooth being drilled comes to mind! He was toweled and held blindfolded. I can only imagine that he's had to go through this procedure many times through his life with a crooked beak. I'm hoping my vet is correct in thinking this can be improved with regular trims.

Mare
12-04-2016, 03:51 AM
He is playing with his toy so gently! What a sweet guy. Hopefully he won't have to go to the vet so often in the future.

He really is a sweetheart, Kendra. Today we set up our Christmas tree and I made sure he was in the room, on his perch, to witness the whole development of a tree growing in his living room :). I didn't want him freaking out when I bring him out tomorrow. My neice and her 8yr. old daughter were here helping and Shaggy was totally groovy with everything going on. Yayyy!..Shaggy!!

Mare
12-04-2016, 05:39 PM
..drrr.. umm..let's see if this works..

Can you see how his upper beak leans to his right? It rubs on that lower beak's point and therefore allows the other side to continue to grow. He's not a huge chewer of wood but I keep trying.

Quakerella
12-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Can you see how his upper beak leans to his right? It rubs on that lower beak's point and therefore allows the other side to continue to grow. He's not a huge chewer of wood but I keep trying.
I do see it now, and that is one powerful looking beak. I hope the trimming helps.

Mare
12-04-2016, 06:42 PM
I do see it now, and that is one powerful looking beak. I hope the trimming helps.

Thanks, Rosalyn :). These are very powerful beaks, indeed! Amigo could chew through an oak tree limb and drop it to the ground, the size of my forearm,, all within a couple of hours!

Quakerella
12-04-2016, 07:35 PM
That is amazing. I have a few scars from my birds, but nothing close to what one of these could do if they were really upset with you.

plax
12-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Can you see how his upper beak leans to his right? It rubs on that lower beak's point and therefore allows the other side to continue to grow. He's not a huge chewer of wood but I keep trying.He indeed has a slight case of scissors beak. Zaffer's beak had a nearly identical amount of it when he came to live with me in 2005. His was mostly misalignment from the rapid overgrowth he experiences, not actual beak distortion. Shaggy's may be the same... I can't tell from the pics. And Zaf's lower mandible overlapped on his right side instead of his left side, as Shaggy's does. Ongoing lower beak trims have made a dramatic improvement for Zaf.

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Ooh, a new avatar pic - is that you with Zaf, Tony?

plax
12-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Ooh, a new avatar pic - is that you with Zaf, Tony?
What? New? It's the same one I've always had on the plax account. And yes, that's me with Zaf.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mare
12-05-2016, 12:03 AM
He indeed has a slight case of scissors beak. Zaffer's beak had a nearly identical amount of it when he came to live with me in 2005. His was mostly misalignment from the rapid overgrowth he experiences, not actual beak distortion. Shaggy's may be the same... I can't tell from the pics. And Zaf's lower mandible overlapped on his right side instead of his left side, as Shaggy's does. Ongoing lower beak trims have made a dramatic improvement for Zaf.

Thanks, Tony. With Shaggy's first beak trim (with me), I had no idea what to expect. I'll know to ask more questions tomorrow. I'm hoping to also discuss his wrist/foot band.

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Just explain to Shaggy that Vets are nice people really :)

Mare
12-06-2016, 01:23 AM
The trim went well, I stayed in the room. I figured it's better to be informed. The vet wants to see him in three weeks, now. She wants me to realign his beak whenever he is with me, manually..with my hand, just hold it in the correct position and is even thinking about a non-permanent prosthetic prop to help induce alignment. We discussed his band that was removed and she says that, yes..all the info I got from Tony is correct. His age was changed in his file from 12yrs. To 24yrs. old but not much more info than that to share.