PDA

View Full Version : Just another crazy day, in the life of a crazy bird lady

keepsmiling
05-17-2013, 09:35 AM
So I got home yesterday afternoon and there is a message on my answering machine. It is from the guy who mows my yard sometimes. He took a baby bluejay from someone's yard.It was hopping around, and he didn't want it to get eaten. I told him the right thing to do is to leave it. But he already had it in his truck. I told him the heat of the truck will kill him. He said oh no, I have it running with the A/C on..
He knows I keep birds, so I guess he figured I would know what to do. There is a rehab woman right near here, but she isn't listed online, so at the same time I was trying to remember what I did with her brochures and cards. I did find them, called her, and she said she could take him.
So the guy is on his way here with the jay, and I am waiting. The phone rings and I figure it is him saying he is pulling up out front. No, it's my neighbor. She says a little blue "parakeet" just flew from her yard to mine. That the neighbor almost had it, but it got away from him. So I am like..??? what is this BIRD DAY??
So I go out and look around. I don't see any bird. The guy arrives and I take the baby jay and put him in a cage on my back porch. I go out front to get a box from my carport so I can transfer him there to bring him to the rehab. I do not know what made me walk to the back of my car, but there sitting on my trunk was a budgie, exhausted, wings out... She wanted to step up, but was afraid and took off across the lawn and landed on my fence. I said oh you don't want to go that way. There are a gazillion cats across the street.
So I went on the outside and put my arms up in case she decided to go across the street. But she just sat there. This time I didn't wait for her to step up, I just snatched her off the fence. back to the porch to transfer the baby jay to the box and the budgie to the cage HOW DO THEY KNOW???[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
The lawn guy named him Lawnie, for the day...

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

This {girl?} stayed like this for ten minutes

Sadly, nothing in the database...but I will put up fliers and do my best

And to top off the crazy bird lady's day, I limped home with my back left tire making a noise. The prognosis....nice big fat nail.
So...if the budgie has to stay, until I find her a suitable home, or her owner{thankfully my DH is SO understanding[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]}~ Two names jumped out at me while I was driving to take the jay to the rehab, and after that had to run and get Troy some parts for a job he was working on. Tell me if you like either one.
Nela, that was the street the rehab lady lives on.
Kokomo, it was a graphic on the back of a cool truck on the way home.

Pinkbirdy
05-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Wow [What a day ] !!! Someone must know you can handle this :) Poor budgie

roxynoodle
05-17-2013, 11:50 AM
I think either name would be nice :)

I was going to ask yesterday what you named her :th_loltears:

Kalidasa
05-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I fledged a blue-jay that I found (much younger than that) on high quality dog food, meal-worms, and berries. He thrived, and I eventually let him go when he was ready.
Kokomo is an awesome name by the way!:th_heart:

Honesty
05-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Wow! Carole, what a day you had! The poor lost Budgie certainly knew where to go to be taken in:)

keepsmiling
05-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks everyone!:th_hug8: Off to get the tire fixed or replaced after my birdy chores...:redface-new:
Yeah, laugh away Audrey. They keep coming in on a regular basis like this and I will start boxing them up and shipping them off to friends...like you!:th_LOL:

roxynoodle
05-17-2013, 12:25 PM
That's ok, I will send you payment in the form of a box of kittens :)

JerseyBella
05-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Amazing...lucky birdies landed in the right place

keepsmiling
05-17-2013, 01:25 PM
That's ok, I will send you payment in the form of a box of kittens :):th_LOL::th_hehe:
Thanks Dawn!

Mare
05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
I find it fascinating that birds are so drawn to you! If you think about it, it's actually a compliment!!

keepsmiling
05-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks Mare!

DQ IT
05-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Aww, they are both so cute! Lucky birdies to have found you! :th_hug8: I like the name Kokomo. :)

aliray
05-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Two blue birds in one day. Maybe it is a good luck omen BLUE BIRDS OF HAPPYNESS

Debra
05-17-2013, 05:02 PM
I like the name Kokomo too. They are both incredibly lucky to have found you. They are beautiful little birds.

keepsmiling
05-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Thank you all so much!:th_hug8: I have decided on Kokomo as her name.:th_heart: Sadly she does not seem tame, but that's ok too.

Debra
05-18-2013, 09:05 PM
You can make her tame in no time. A little TLC goes a long way in those regards.

Pinkbirdy
05-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Keepsmiling - Just dawned on me what a great way to get your bird names. Something significant , thats present in the time you get them :) Like you did :)

keepsmiling
05-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks Debra and Terri!:th_hug8: Terri, it doesn't always happen that way, but sometimes things pop out at you that seem significant. Elfe is another name that way, since she got tossed out in cold December. Kismet had a fateful day the day we met.Cochise has the head dress like an Indian Chief, so he is named after a famous person. Gryphon just looks like one. Holly has that red tipped green going on.And Yuna and Pico came with their name.:th_biggrin:

Mare
05-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Names happen!! Usually for a reason! I'll refrain from telling you the joke about how Indians got their names! (I'm part Native American Indian, by the way). Just would not want anyone offended.

jtbirds
05-21-2013, 12:29 AM
O Carole how I have days so similar to yours:p, someone just tried to give me a baby robin the other day with a huge puncture in its chest I took it to the vet clinic to have what Was right done... Have fun with the budgie and can't wait till the next time huh?:p