PDA

View Full Version : Dime?

kendrafitz
11-16-2016, 03:08 PM
I was putting laundry away in my room this morning and put Rosie on my bed to play. I didn't realize it but a dime was on the far side of the bed. After a couple minutes I went to get Rosie and noticed she was going to town chomping on the dime. She refused to relinquish it and thank goodness she bit it in such a way that it flew out of her beak across the room.

I looked up the metals in a dime and it said copper and nickel. The dime doesn't look that bad, so I am hoping she didn't injest anything. I have attached pictures of the dime.

Does anyone know what I should keep an eye out for? She is acting fine and is as active as ever. We are going to shower now so she will get some water bc she likes to drink and shower at the same time.

I'm not SUPER worried, but I am a worrier. So I just want to be sure to watch her for any symptoms. I'll be home with her until 3 and then back at 445. So I will have me eye on her for the majority of the day.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dragonlady2
11-16-2016, 03:19 PM
My guess would be she would have a bigger problem with germs on the dime. There doesn't look to be damage on the dime. She will probably be fine. I know you will be watching her like a hawk.

plax
11-16-2016, 03:52 PM
She should be fine, Kendra. The interior metal of a modern American dime is copper, which can be toxic for birds. The external layers, however, are nickel. Nickel is the predominant material that contacted Rosie's oral cavity, not copper. The copper within a newer Roosevelt American dime is sandwiched between two thick layers of nickel and is only exposed as a thin strip at the coin's ridged edge. That said, nickel is considered a relatively safe metal for parrots - the metal parts of many commercial bird toys are in fact plated with nickel. And even if there were a higher presence of exposed copper on a coin that Rosie managed to find -say a penny- it would be unlikely for her to ingest enough copper during some dry mouth play to cause her any harm. She'd likely have to scrape and swallow or place the coin in water for a period of time and then drink the water. So yes, watch her... but I'm sure there's nothing to worry about :)

kendrafitz
11-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Thank you Helena and Tony. I feel much better. I just wasn't sure and I worry about my strong willed girl. :)

Quakerella
11-17-2016, 01:38 AM
I agree with Helena and Tony. I am sure she will be fine. She didn't break any off and ingest it and didn't have it for a long period of time. I know you will be watching her.

kendrafitz
11-17-2016, 04:18 AM
Thank you Rosalyn. She was normal all day today, thank goodness!

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-17-2016, 10:30 AM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
"In God we trust"... all others pay cash :)

kendrafitz
11-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Miss Rosie seems to be fine and up to her usual mischievous antics. Here she is "helping" me make my shopping list this morning. ;)
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Thank you to everyone that took the time to reply and alleviate a neurotic parrot Mommy's fears.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

plax
11-17-2016, 02:18 PM
It looks like she vetoed a couple of your previous lists ;)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

kendrafitz
11-17-2016, 02:43 PM
It looks like she vetoed a couple of your previous lists ;)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

No non parrot people would believe how hard it is to write, use a tablet, etc with a parrot in your space.

I switched locations of the pad about 25 times before I thought to give her some paper to rip. But that isn't as fun as helping with what I'm doing. So we went back to dodge and weaving. ;)

Quakerella
11-17-2016, 03:50 PM
She is adorable. I think you should add a new notepad to that list.

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-17-2016, 03:52 PM
As far as a parrot is concerned we NEED their help because we don't do it right :)

kendrafitz
11-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Rosalyn - I will let her know you think so. You are right, we do need to add a notepad to the list. ;)

Jean-Pierre - how right you are! As I try to type this she is climbing all over me, beaking/walking on the iPad and pinching both my fingers and the iPad. She has now resorted to trying to feed me, so she really does think I need her help...with EVERYTHING!!

Mare
11-17-2016, 11:15 PM
You are a lucky woman, Kendra! Rosie won't EVER let you forget it! :th_biggrin: