PDA

View Full Version : I Want A Lovebird

Queen
10-22-2016, 03:35 AM
Hello people of PP!

I am new here as you may know and I am birdless as you may also know if you read my little "hi I'm new here" thread on the new people forum. Anyways, I am thinking of getting a Lovebird, but I had some questions and wanted to hear other's opinions.

First, I'll discuss my game plan. I am looking for a job and refuse to get a bird until I have a set income. The first birds I got were a borderline impulse purchase. I previously had two budgies, and I got them for Christmas as a gift from my mother. The main problem with that is we got them from a pet store. Also, I didn't pick out the birds, so maybe I could have noticed some behavioral problems before making the birds my pet since I spent an insane amount of time researching everything to do with budgies, including behavior. But who knows. It's the past, but a great learning experience. Anyways! Now I know to either buy from a breeder or adopt/rescue. I don't think every bird from a pet store is bound to be a problem, but I feel it is more likely. Plus I do not support a number of pet stores for certain reasons like their connections with animal mills.

Gameplan:
Got crazy distracted by myself, but back to game plan:
1. Get a job
2. Continue with research and inquiring about Lovebirds
3. Get cage and supplies(food, toys, etc..)
4. Look for bird (I'm looking for a hand fed/raised[not 100 on the difference] bird, also looking for a baby)
5. Find bird
6. Inquire with owner of the bird, ask about Lovebird's past or parents
7. Get bird
8. Love Lovebird and cheer quietly so I don't scare them

That's the gist of my mental plan. It is open to alterations. I also have some obvious problems that are halting my plans. Such as; I currently live with my Aunt and she does not like animals. I was thinking of getting this bird after I move. I also want a baby so I can train them a bit easier.

Cage:
Now, I have been researching a ton on Lovebirds. I feel I hold a decent amount of information, but I also know there is so so much more there is to learn. The cage I was planning to get is sturdy, rectangular shaped, and 16" long x 25" wide x 34" high. Back when I had my budgies I read that I should avoid buying a cage with a rounded or pointed roof, not 100 on why, though. The cage comes with plastic perches, but I plan to get natural wood perches.

Toys:
Toys, toys, and more toys!! I had a number of toys for my budgies and they all couldn't fit in there, so I would switch them out every now and then. I looooved watching my birds play. Seeing them swing and ring bells was just so intriguing! Sometimes I wasn't sure who loved the toys more, me or the birds. For Lovebirds, I read they love shreddable toys, so, of course, I'd get them some! They also like hiding and are active birds, so I am ready and look forward to going on a toy shopping spree.

Food:
I read that hard boiled eggs are great for Lovebirds and I have read of some having low calcium problems, so of course I will do everything to prevent that and can never forget cuttlebones!

Time!!:
This is my main concern and will determine if I get one bird or two birds, or maybe even no birds!! :th_eek: I’ll be starting college next year and I worry about how much time I can spend with my bird. I’ll be living with my mother and be going to a community college for the first two years. So, I’ll have a part-time job and I’ll be a full-time student. I did some reading on college students with single birds and they seem to be several people managing just nicely with content birds. I read on multiple sites that you should spend at least an hour with your bird, but that didn’t sound right to me. I planned on spending at the very least 2 to 3 hours with my bird. But I can’t even begin to think of what my schedule will be. I would also like everyone to know that I do not think this will be some kind of simple walk in the park. I am ready to face whatever challenges may come my way in trying to get a bird because I feel that the reward is so much greater.

Questions:

I read that the minimal size of a single Lovebirds cage should be 18" x 22" x 18", the one I was planning to get is 16" long rather than 18", but since it is much larger in other areas I felt it wouldn't be a problem.
Would this be a problem at all for a single Lovebird?

I read that you can feed your bird a large variety of fruits and vegetables, also foods to avoid. Then I read about seeds and pellets. Seeds can be fattening and pellets have a lot of love and hate. I just fed my budgies seeds along with their fruits and veggies.
What exactly should I feed my Lovebird?

I don’t plan on getting a Lovebird until I move out of my Aunt’s which would likely be this summer. Then I have college and work.
What are some tips and opinions on caring for a Lovebird on a tighter schedule? Should I not even get a single Lovebird? Do you think I should not get a bird?!?! I really really want to get a single Lovebird so we can bond...but honestly, I don’t even know if this question can be answered until I get a better idea of my future schedule. There is also no rush at the moment since I don’t even have a bird yet and can hold off as much as I feel is necessary, but I am always open to thoughts and opinions!!

How much time should I spend with my bird?! I’m not saying there’s a “set time” because that doesn’t sound fair, but the reason I ask is so I know if I have the time or not.

Cedardave
10-22-2016, 03:59 AM
Good choice in doing your research.Cagewise...if your not able to spend tons of time with your bird out,then bigger is better.HQ brand makes a dodo cage that is 36x36x21 deep and sits on a stand.We have about a dozen of them in use and our birds love them.Plastic perches are rarely found in nature..find a bird safe wood..take off the bark and sanatize in the oven for a few minutes..don't burn it.Pellets always win over seed with us.There are several good brands..we suggest in our educational seminars to avoid the so called fruit flavoured....after all...there is fruit for that.Youve come to a good place for good advise.The final question you had was should you even get a bird....only you can decide that...do lots of research....we will be happy to help guide you in your journey.

Queen
10-22-2016, 05:32 AM
Thank you very much, Dave, I appreciate your advice. I'll do more research on pellets, I'll also look more into natural wood perches along with where to get them, and look for a bigger cage just in case I really don't have the time for more out of caginess... The HQ cages you mentioned looked really good, I might just buy one of them when I get a bird. Along with me getting a bird or not getting a bird, I realize it's ultimately my decision. Though I feel I had to bring it up for the sake of being aware of the most undesired path. I'm not going to give up on this! I'm ready to roll with the punches. I am also overflowing with a sense of joy and excitement for finding this forum. I have barely been here but met so many kind and helpful people. And I thank you for being one of those people.

Dragonlady2
10-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Dave has given you some good advice. Where will your bird be when you are not home?

Queen
10-22-2016, 06:10 PM
I was thinking of keeping them in my room, in their cage, and away from any drafts of course. But I haven't really thought a whole lot on location. Are there other specific things to avoid and/or be aware of?

Dragonlady2
10-22-2016, 06:39 PM
If you have a pair, they may be fine in your bedroom. If you have a single bird, it may not do well with no human or bird interaction for hours a day.

Queen
10-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Hm...I'll be living with my mother and little sister when I plan to get a bird. Typically, I leave home for school first around 6:40AM, then my little sister is off, and lastly my mother usually goes to work around 10:00AM. I get home first around 3:00PM, then my sister, and lastly my mother again. If I would leave the bird out in, say the living room, they would at least see and hear people for some time before no one is home. Then will be left alone for 5 hours before I get home and can let them out. Would 5 hours be too long alone?

Of course, my schedule will change before I actually get a bird, but I'm just thinking out loud and trying to understand as much as I can before I get a bird. I'm unsure of my future schedule. Certainly, I will be busier...so leaning towards a pair sounds much better for the bird(s). Which I don't really have a problem with! I just wanted to be able to form a bond with my bird. I didn't think it was as easy to bond with a pair as well as you would with a single. How would you bond with a pair? And would I buy birds that were already together or could I get birds from two different places and slowly introduce them? Could the birds be happy together in different cages? I wouldn't want to risk a blood battle while I was away when I don't know if the birds would get along.

Dragonlady2
10-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Those are good questions. As long as there were no other animals in the main part of the house, your lovie would be fine there and a few hours alone every day is not a problem as long as you give him or her lots to do while everyone is away.
As for two birds, they don't have to live in the same cage. Their cages could sit side by side. If they do stay in the same cage, you are correct, they may bond with each other and not you. As well, yes, they might squabble and injure each other.
Keep asking those great questions!

Queen
10-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Thank you for all these answers, I'm thankful for everyone's answers and opinions!

Now...I'm thinking if I were to move right at the start of summer, settle down in my new home, prepare for a bird, and get one bird...I'd have all summer with them. Assuming I don't go anywhere of course. I don't think we'd bond in such a short amount of time...I don't really know how long it takes to bond. Can you even say there is an average amount of time? Or wouldn't it depend more on the bird's personality and the time and effort you put into bonding with them? Anyways, as summer begins to come to a close I'll set up for a second bird and get the bird. I know not to cage them together, so I'll get a separate cage entirely. Then I can introduce them in whatever free time I have. I was also thinking of taking some online courses, so I can have more free time...but who knows! At that point, I might realize I do have the time to take care of my one bird. However, I would like to get a second bird eventually.
Does this plan sound any good? Are there any major errors? Also minor errors?(since those are important too)

Dragonlady2
10-23-2016, 04:20 PM
That sounds like a reasonable plan to me. As for bonding, sometimes a bird just clicks with you right away and sometimes you have to work for it. That is an area you can't get a definitive answer to. Just be prepared to go with the flow.

Queen
10-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Thank you again. I'll be as prepared as I possibly can, in every category of bird care! I just looked at my calendar and realized that I'll have to wait 6 months before being able to get a bird...I am going to be so prepared. X3 At least I have plenty of time to organize and get ready, I might even be able to find a trusty breeder or an animal shelter that has birds. I hear about birds at shelters, but I have yet to actually find a shelter in my area with birds. That's definitely something I can look into during this time.

Oh yes! I had another question circling my head lately. If I didn't find a breeder but wanted a bird from a breeder, how would I find one? I've heard of some sites like Hoobly Classifieds, which sells a wide range of things other than birds, but I want to avoid being conned the best I can.

Dragonlady2
10-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Just search the net for registered parrot breeders. Usually you will get a number of them, then try and search reviews for them. That way you can check to see if anyone has complained.

Queen
10-23-2016, 09:59 PM
Okay! That's a great idea. I'll look into it, thank you.

lolsavannahh
10-24-2016, 01:33 AM
I just skimmed over these replies because I am in a bit of a rush but wanted to reply quickly so sorry if this has already been talked about!!!!

I suggest only getting one lovebird, or if you were to get more, get a separate cage for them. Lovies are very very territorial and especially since they will be new to you, young or not, they will definately trust eachother much more than they will trust you at first and even in the long run. Lovebirds are great birds.. but very demanding so for a first bird I really don't suggest them. I have one, and got him as my first bird myself, but I really think I would have had much less mistakes along the way if I were to get a budgie or a cockatiel. Lovebirds are so much more high maintenance than a lot of other smaller birds, so you really really do need to research and spend time with other peoples lovies before you get your own!
Lovebirds and parrotlets are just very bad beginner birds.. but when prepared for the adorable trainwreck they are, they can be fun! I am so glad you will have 6 months to carefully plan and research before you get one(: Please feel free to ask any of us questions and we will all love to help you answer them!

Queen
10-25-2016, 10:01 PM
Thank you, Savannah! Sorry for my late reply.

I have some past bird experience with my budgies and I had a friend who stumbled into the bird world as well and got herself a cockatiel, both birds of which were untamed. The cockatiel was quite the biter too. My experiences with birds aren't all bad of course! The cockatiel loved to sing, and so did my budgies. Watching them play was also always very cute too.

Thank you for your advice about getting to actually know Lovebirds more! I have been thinking of finding a bird shelter I could get involved in and potentially actually finding a person who owns a Lovebird I can learn from. Surely I won't only get to know a person to get to their bird! I would love to make more friends who share an interest in birds like I do. And I have been looking for shelters, but haven't found much luck.

Currently, I don't have any questions...for this spare moment, haha. Though, I am so thankful for everyone's advice, answers, and kindness.
Well, I was curious of breeding Lovebirds and I definitely do not plan to get a Lovebird just to breed them! However, I think I'll save those questions for a later time. There are many other things seeking my attention at this moment.

Oh! I would also like to mention that I was planning on taking college courses online, maybe not all, but some at least. I hope to try a course or two this summer to see how it goes. Just found it exciting and it could help me have more time for a bird. :3

wingman
10-29-2016, 12:21 AM
We have eight of them they do like to bite but the more you hold them and imprint on them the less hard the bitting hurts. But I have had blood drawn more times than I can count. But they do get used to you . Use millet sprigs to feed them treats and lessen the distance each time , move hand closer but keep your skin tight in a fist it's harder for them to grab hold if skin is tight also hold back of your hand toward the beak and say kiss kiss , they eventually will touch the tounge against the back of your hand and that is the birdie kiss!!!

Queen
10-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Thank you for the tips!! I'll keep this in mind for when I get a bird. I was a bit concerned about the biting and wasn't sure on how to get around it, so thank you very much!

lolsavannahh
10-31-2016, 12:20 AM
Lovebirds are one of the more bitey of the small bird group so it's inevitable. Nash bites me all the time whenever he is throwing a fit because I won't let him do something LOL... They have big beaks compared to their size so it will hurt sometime I won't lie. Just wait for that bond to show and then you will be BFF's and likely have no problems