PDA

View Full Version : Nned advice on new perches

luckyandjenn
09-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Luckys cage he came with only has hard wooden perches id like to get him somthing better hes getting little sore on his feet4544 thanks everyone

Dragonlady2
09-18-2016, 10:07 PM
I have a mix of perches for all of my birds, including the canaries. Rope perches, tree branch perches, wicker wreaths, anything they will stand on. That way, there is a choice for them. I keep the softest perch near the top as that is where they like to roost at night.

Quakerella
09-18-2016, 10:14 PM
Hi Jenn and Lucky, What a beautiful bird. I actually don't use any wooden dowels in any of my birds cages. All my cages are outfitted with maple branches, cleaned, sterilized and dried. (No red maple though). I find the birds love them and you can get various lengths and thicknesses. The good thing is they can chew and destroy them and they are easy to replace. Just make sure they are well cleaned and dried. I live in the country and am nowhere near the highway or city, so my maple trees don't get the contamination from vehicles and factories. There are many safe woods (be certain) that can be used for perches.

luckyandjenn
09-18-2016, 11:10 PM
I have a mix of perches for all of my birds, including the canaries. Rope perches, tree branch perches, wicker wreaths, anything they will stand on. That way, there is a choice for them. I keep the softest perch near the top as that is where they like to roost at night.

I plan on getting a couple more perches for him so he has a variety the stuff he has now is all the same it seems to be hurting his little feats in about to spend like 200 on some new toys a training gift basket a harness and new perches I hope he likes them I'll be buying tommarow

luckyandjenn
09-18-2016, 11:13 PM
Thank you I think he is just amazing lol I'm the lucky one he fills my days with joy no kids here so my pets are my life # anipals lolz I will look into untreated maple perches and thanks for all the great info

Casper's 2nd best friend
09-18-2016, 11:41 PM
Casper also has a mix of abrasive, rope and natural wood perches. We bought a couple of willow perches because the bark is easily stripped and some birds enjoy ripping it off. Casper tried it once but that was it. It is still one of his fave places to sleep though. The other is also at the top of the cage and is one end of a long natural fibre rope. He has two perches on the outside of the cage (as it is only closed at night and when we are eating - to stop him from diving face first into our plates), one is a rope perch and the other an abrasive which is his favourite place to chill out.
We call this one his balcony:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
Porridge ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr
This pic shows the rope perch, the coloured one was removed as soon as he realised he could shred it because the fibres can lodge in their crop.
The basket is for foraging, Margaret crocheted it with natural string in about five minutes without any pattern or instructions, I was IMPRESSED.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
Casper's new foraging cargo net ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr

Dragonlady2
09-19-2016, 12:05 AM
Wow...I am impressed with Margaret! She should sell those online....what a great idea. Looks like Lucky and Casper are a little spoiled. Although, it would be pretty hard not to spoil them.

luckyandjenn
09-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Casper also has a mix of abrasive, rope and natural wood perches. We bought a couple of willow perches because the bark is easily stripped and some birds enjoy ripping it off. Casper tried it once but that was it. It is still one of his fave places to sleep though. The other is also at the top of the cage and is one end of a long natural fibre rope. He has two perches on the outside of the cage (as it is only closed at night and when we are eating - to stop him from diving face first into our plates), one is a rope perch and the other an abrasive which is his favourite place to chill out.
We call this one his balcony:
Porridge ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr
This pic shows the rope perch, the coloured one was removed as soon as he realised he could shred it because the fibres can lodge in their crop.
The basket is for foraging, Margaret crocheted it with natural string in about five minutes without any pattern or instructions, I was IMPRESSED.
Casper's new foraging cargo net ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr

Wow what a lucky bird I love the rope idea I'll have to look into where I can buy some safe like that for my guy lucky also gets to stay out all day untill his bed time than he gets locked in and covered he also has a cage out side I have to get crafty and outfit with new perches because he destroyed the ones it came with lol and yes I'm so impressed with caspers foraging cargo net is love to find somthing like that for lucky

luckyandjenn
09-20-2016, 03:22 PM
Wow...I am impressed with Margaret! She should sell those online....what a great idea. Looks like Lucky and Casper are a little spoiled. Although, it would be pretty hard not to spoil them.
Ha ha ha I'm horrible I always end up spending all my money on my anipals which include six hens a cat and two dogs they all get along it's great I love my flock and my anipals

Dragonlady2
09-20-2016, 03:42 PM
You sound like you have a houseful! I hope you don't have Lucky out with your cat and dogs in the same room. We at Precisely Parrots advocate for safety at all times for ours and your feathered family member. Even though Lucky is a big bird, it would only take one scratch or bite and he could be seriously injured or even die. I have a dog and 3 indoor cats. I never let them interact. I trust my dog, who wouldn't think about hurting any of my birds. But, sometimes birds get spooked, dogs get excited and cats are just cats....you just never know when something out of the ordinary happens and one of your other pets might accidentally hurt Lucky. I know how much you love Lucky....I would hate to see anything happen to him. This is just a reminder, please don't post any pictures with Lucky and your other pets together. We would have to delete them as per our policy. However, keep posting those lovely pictures of Lucky. His feathering is beautiful.:th_smile:

wingman
09-25-2016, 12:47 AM
A clean dried stalk of bamboo makes a great perch!

luckyandjenn
10-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Thanks all I will be looking at safe woods to make him perches out of and yes I have a house full and a lot of work and satisfaction I love all my pets and would never out any of them in harm's way 4568