PDA

View Full Version : Baby chipmunks!

Mare
08-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Yes, Mama Mare is at it again! :). My son's girlfriend had found a batch of four, abandoned young babies on a hike in the mountains. She watched them, from afar, for hours, to make sure they were truly abandoned. After a week of trying to keep these little ones alive, the kids came to me asking for my help.

First off..they were cold to the touch. I know from dealing with baby cockatiels,,this is not good! I hooked the little ones up with the baby cockatiel's original abode, (ten gallon aquarium), setting on a heating pad, on low with a folded towel over it. The kids were feeding them warm puppy formula which is good but they were using a baby kitten bottle with a nipple that was too large. A syringe or eye dropper is best.

I'm happy to report at this time, they are starting to eat and bink/bounce all over the place! I need a new IPad. My photobucket sucks at kicking out photos for posting :(

Dragonlady2
08-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Get that new iPad! I love chipmunks....can't wait to see some pics!

kendrafitz
08-29-2016, 08:28 PM
I'm with Helena. Get the new iPad. Can't wait to get a cuteness overload of baby chipmunks and 'tiels!!!

Way to go Mare, you are a very good Mommy to humans and animals. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cedardave
08-30-2016, 02:55 AM
Mare...I guess your grateful you don't live in an area you may happen upon abandoned gorilla or hippopotamus.��

Mare
08-30-2016, 03:03 AM
Mare...I guess your grateful you don't live in an area you may happen upon abandoned gorilla or hippopotamus.��

Oh, nooo, Dave...Tim is grateful! :). I would take those babies on in a heartbeat!

Thank you, Kendra, my kids think so :)

Dragonlady2
08-31-2016, 05:40 PM
While we are waiting for Mare's pics here are some babies to look at. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
08-31-2016, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Helena! You've got the picture! The babes that I have are younger than any you see there. I'm waiting for the right moment to strike Best Buy to buy a new IPad, the kids say online is best but I like having a place I can go talk with folks if I need help...yeah,,I'm old fashioned :)

They are starting to thrive but I don't want them to be too in tune to humans. We are planning on setting them back from where they came.

Lady
09-03-2016, 04:37 AM
But Mare, if you send them back who's going to keep them warm at night???? Will they be okay to release already?

Dragonlady2, nice link, but at the bottom of page one it says: "Eastern Chipmunks are mostly solitary, except for mating season in the Spring. They do communicate, however, with a high, birdlike chipping noise that gives them their name." So if they sound like birds wouldn't that mean they chirp, not chip?? Should some one named them Chirpmunks instead, lol......