Dragonlady2
07-28-2016, 02:00 AM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

The Pinkertons
07-28-2016, 03:48 AM
Good Article :th_smile:

Blancaej
07-28-2016, 04:12 PM
That was a great article. It had many things on there that I do already but gave me some great new ideas as well! Thanks for sharing! :)

Lady
07-30-2016, 04:57 AM
I like this information and bookmarked it as I'm sure it will come in handy. :highfive::thanks4sharingthumb

mdg1109
07-30-2016, 10:15 AM
Thank you for posting this Helena. I feel that Charlie will benefit from this as he has taken to screaming lately when he is bored.

I am going to try some of these on the list.

Dragonlady2
07-30-2016, 02:16 PM
I keep looking for things for my Eclectus to do. He is in a double macaw cage, but gets bored easily. Ekkies have a reputation of being perch potatoes, but Willy is busy most of the day. He seldom, if ever, naps like my other birds. He is unable to eat pellets due to toe tapping and wing flipping. He is fine when he just has a fresh food and a little seed treat at the end of the day. He is too interested in preening his feathers right now so I am constantly on the look out for innovative things to give him.

Mare
08-03-2016, 04:13 AM
Great article, Helena, thanks for sharing! I needed some new ideas for our Sassy girl :). You mention that Willy's unable to eat pellets because of toe tapping and wing flipping..what does that mean..?.. If left up to my imagination, I can think of many things that probably aren't the truth.

Dragonlady2
08-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Mare, I feed Willy a fresh food diet only with a few seeds at the end of the day. The digestive tract of an Eclectus is longer than most birds so they are able to extract more of the nutrients from their food. They really should not need any pellet as they are usually fortified. For Ekkies, they react to that extra fortification. Toe tapping and wing flipping are two of those ways, as well as plucking etc. Toe tapping....the toe(s) will involuntarily stick out straight and contract. As it contracts, you can hear the nail click against the perch. He has no control over it. Same as wing flipping. People always think their bird is wing flipping, but in an Ekkie, it is involuntary. The wings snap back against the body, it's not a rearranging of feathers. The sound is like a hollow clap. So, I can imagine you thinking he's doing a jig on his perch....lol.
I have tried TOPS, my favourite unfortified pellet, but he just does not like them, so I put everything but the kitchen sink into his chop and add dried herbs to cover nutritional needs.

Mare
08-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Ok! Thanks for the explanation, I had never heard of such a thing..interesting!

Lady
05-07-2017, 01:27 AM
I think Lady has the egg carton idea down.

luckyandjenn
05-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Great read thanks for posting it

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Tony put up a suggestion about giving birds empty plastic water bottles to play with and what a success it has been with Casper. He chases it around the floor and is getting lots of excercise. Once he has trapped it in a corner and given it a good bruising he just wanders off.
Thanks Tony, all the expensive toys we buy just get ignored, this is brilliant and free.
I'll post some photos or video soon, they will probably be blurred because it is all quite frantic. :)

PlaxMacaws
11-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Tony put up a suggestion about giving birds empty plastic water bottles to play with and what a success it has been with Casper. He chases it around the floor and is getting lots of excercise. Once he has trapped it in a corner and given it a good bruising he just wanders off.
Thanks Tony, all the expensive toys we buy just get ignored, this is brilliant and free.
I'll post some photos or video soon, they will probably be blurred because it is all quite frantic. :)You're welcome, Jean-Pierre. I'm happy to know Casper has discovered a new channel of enjoyment :D

Casper's 2nd best friend
11-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Here is a picture of Casper playing with his bottle. It seems tapatalk won’t upload videos so i will have to do it via Onedrive. Stay tuned [emoji3]
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

1st clip uploaded
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]!AiShclt2ghrmhHfZVjjsMxYMNPLj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragonlady2
11-30-2017, 01:44 PM
Casper is on a mission...lol. I use measuring cups and spoons from the dollar store and holy roller balls from the dog toy section.

PlaxMacaws
11-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Nice to see Casper enjoying his new object of amusement :). The bottle seems about the right size for him. My macaws, of course, get the large 1-gallon jugs. Zaf loves to grab and hold on to the handle part with his foot as he carries the jug up the side of his cage. He uses his other foot in conjunction with his beak to climb, and he flaps his wings for good measure on the way up :D

Lady
12-03-2017, 07:06 PM
How cute he is! Did he manage to get the treat out of it? I have been drinking from half size water bottles so I can see if Lady would be interested as well. Haven't had the chance to try it yet. It takes her some time to get use to new objects so she has to be desensitized first.

Lisa
04-10-2020, 05:51 AM
Oh wow this was a really useful article and resource. Do check out the initial pages of esp chapter 43 of Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) for some very interesting facts on birds, especially parrots.

Lisa
08-31-2020, 01:07 PM
Oh wow this was a really useful article and resource. Do check out the initial pages of esp chapter 43 of Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) for some very interesting facts on birds, especially parrots.

I have also began reading about various anthologies containing creative writing and bird- related sample science questions. They have been wonderfully enriching and helping me maintain a journal. Yesterday's prompt was bird's wings ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]).