PDA

View Full Version : Red-bellied Macaw

The Pinkertons
07-13-2016, 11:21 PM
Has anyone ever seen these Mini Macaws In person . Unique and Beautiful, Here's a link to more info
about them...

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Aviculture

It is extremely difficult to keep these birds alive in captivity, because of their high strung personality, and low fat and high carbohydrate diet. Export/Import for the pet trade often results in 100% mortality. Captive-bred chicks have a low survival rate.

The only country to export these birds in recent years is Guyana.

Because of lack of commercial availability of moriche palm nuts, shelled unsalted peanuts have been used as a staple in the diet of captive birds. They must not be fed commercial bird seed, especially fatty seed like Sunflower.

4344 43454346

Dragonlady2
07-14-2016, 12:04 AM
I haven't heard of these Macaws. I wonder if there are any in captivity in the US or Canada?

Thanks for the info.

The Pinkertons
07-14-2016, 12:36 AM
Very few, a high mortality rate due to dietary needs coupled with high strung temperament makes them very scarce in captivity. Interesting little Macaw , 300 GRAMS approximately .

Cedardave
07-15-2016, 02:26 AM
Those are pretty cool

The Pinkertons
07-15-2016, 06:16 AM
Those are pretty cool
Cedardave
I thought about you when I was researching these Mini Macaws... Their dietary needs are exceptionally high in beta carotene... this is an interesting read you my find beneficial, being the responsible breeder that you are. I think, for an Avid Aviculturist this species would be worthwhile to be of interest . I'm tempted to learn more about this Species for my own possible future acquisition . This Species is not for the novice companion bird ownership.

Lady
07-16-2016, 12:08 AM
I have heard of these beautiful mini's but have never seen one. I will be reading the links you provided just to get to know more. Thanks for the information.

luckyandjenn
10-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Wow cool mini mac very prety thanks for the read