PDA

View Full Version : transporting bamboo

winglady
07-08-2016, 01:09 AM
Wingman wanted me to ask if anyone knows of a way he can transport bamboo to plant at our house without it going into shock and dying. He wants to plant it so he will have a supply for our birds.

Mare
07-08-2016, 01:41 AM
Do folks grow it locally? If so, go pluck some! It grows like weeds.

Mare
07-08-2016, 01:48 AM
if you have someone local, pull it out from the stalk and keep roots in tact. Wrap wet paper towels around the bottom root part, stick in plastic bag and replant in soft soil. Keep it watered, bamboo likes to be kept moist.

Dragonlady2
07-08-2016, 02:03 AM
I agree with Mare. I had bamboo in the yard and it is easy to transplant....harder to get rid of.

wingman
07-08-2016, 02:05 AM
Yes I have a friend who has green and black stock bamboo thr black is almost a deep purple!!!
Should i use something like miricle grow or just rich potting soil???

Dragonlady2
07-08-2016, 02:12 AM
Try two separate cuttings...one with the potting soil and the other with Miracle Grow. Just for insurance...

Mare
07-08-2016, 02:25 AM
Ours are watered with..I think it's called grey water..?.. When we built our home, the water from the shower and sinks went to certain areas and these areas water the bamboo. Sewage definitely goes to a tank.

Lady
07-09-2016, 12:08 AM
If your birds are going to be near, eat or playing with the Bamboo, it might be a good idea to go organic with the soil.

The Pinkertons
07-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Yes I have a friend who has green and black stock bamboo thr black is almost a deep purple!!!
Should i use something like miricle grow or just rich potting soil??? Rich potting soil is good. What you have to be careful with is mold growing in the soil because that can be the source for aspergillus. Whether it's organic or not. I have black bamboo growing and the large Timber bamboo.

The Pinkertons
07-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Wingman wanted me to ask if anyone knows of a way he can transport bamboo to plant at our house without it going into shock and dying. He wants to plant it so he will have a supply for our birds. when transplanting bamboo you need to get a about a foot diameter clump it's very matted they're shallow-rooted but they grow in a clump thick matted fashion once you take that out just put it in a pot with some potting soil it doesn't have to be anything fancy just potting soil and keep it in the shade until it takes root don't over-water too much. If you're putting up black bamboo it's more delicate than the Green Bamboo when it starts to grow it comes out green as the stock ages it turns black so keep that in mind when you're planting it black bamboo likes a dappled sunlight nothing intense all day Sun filtered Sun light.

Dragonlady2
07-09-2016, 07:04 PM
I must have had a different kind of bamboo. It spread from the main clump on underground runners? I'll have to check and see what kind it was.

I would love to grow some again. I'll have to check and see if our climate supports other varieties. Thanks for the info Suzanne.

The Pinkertons
07-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Yes there's 2 different types of bamboo once a clumping bamboo that would be the tropical bamboo and then there's the running bamboo I think the running bamboo is more delicate and beautiful the clumping bamboo grows out from the main Clump very small the running will have a clump then run another clump

Dragonlady2
07-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Yes there's 2 different types of bamboo once a clumping bamboo that would be the tropical bamboo and then there's the running bamboo I think the running bamboo is more delicate and beautiful the clumping bamboo grows out from the main Clump very small the running will have a clump then run another clump

I definitely had the running bamboo. I only had it for two years. I remember pulling out 3 foot runners with shoots all along the runners. Thank goodness I took it out when I did, it was spreading so fast.

The Pinkertons
07-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Are you sure it wasn't wasn't Japanese knotweed. Because most running bamboos do not send up shoots along the runners until it stops and forms another clump. Bamboo generally is very hard to dig out even the running bamboo . black bamboo and the other varieties of running bamboo although they do spread generally don't take over in a couple years. You can grow bamboo in a pot, when it gets crowded just divide it.

Dragonlady2
07-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Are you sure it wasn't wasn't Japanese knotweed. Because most running bamboos do not send up shoots along the runners until it stops and forms another clump. Bamboo generally is very hard to dig out even the running bamboo . black bamboo and the other varieties of running bamboo although they do spread generally don't take over in a couple years. You can grow bamboo in a pot, when it gets crowded just divide it.

It would have grown a clump at the shoot area. I just pulled it before it got to that point. I checked the knotweed and it definitely was not that.

I had no idea that there were so many different kinds of bamboo.

The Pinkertons
07-10-2016, 03:53 PM
have you seen the golden & purple variety

Lady
07-10-2016, 04:35 PM
All this bamboo interest had me do a search and I even saw some blue bamboo. It's called Bambusa Chungii from southern China.

The Pinkertons
07-10-2016, 04:45 PM
All this bamboo interest had me do a search and I even saw some blue bamboo. It's called Bambusa Chungii from southern China.
OOOH! wow! I'll check it out :th_smile:

Lady
07-10-2016, 04:57 PM
This is the web site I was looking at~ [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Dragonlady2
07-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Too bad that I can't grow some of those varieties up here in Canada, they are beautiful.