PDA

View Full Version : A happy parrot

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-28-2016, 09:57 AM
The chimney sweep came this morning. I took Casper out in the garden to keep him out of the way whilst the chimney was being swept. When it was all finished the sweep started telling me about his bird, an African Grey (the sweep talks just like David Beckham by the way). Apparently the bird was found in a house about three days after the owner had passed away so the sweep took the traumatised parrot home whilst they tried to find the old boys family. Anyway the sweep ended up keeping the parrot which took a while to settle down after the trauma but it still continued to pluck. Until, that is, the sweep recently moved to a new house, the bird has now grown back all its feathers. :)

A wonderful story but I wonder what influenced the bird to stop plucking. I know AGs are very intelligent, do you think it decided that with the new house it could make a new start?

kendrafitz
06-28-2016, 11:38 AM
That is a nice story. Maybe, a new start in a new home?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

plax
06-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Yes, it appears that the home change served as quite a psychologically beneficial modification for this poor grey. The new environment is somehow conducive to the increased level of contentment it's now feeling. Without observing both environments, though, it's hard to speculate on what the primary catalyst could be. Perhaps the bird is able to enjoy a greater degree of stimuli and interactions now? Whatever the specifics, it's wonderful that the little guy is now a much happier bird :D

Lady
06-28-2016, 11:33 PM
Surely it is difficult to figure out why the AG is happier but it's truly great to know!

Mare
06-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Great story! I'm glad to know there was a happy outcome :).

Jeanne-Pierre, I may have asked you this before..?.. What type of wood do you burn where you live?

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-29-2016, 09:57 PM
We burn anything we are given! Mostly our log pile is self sustaining from people who cut back trees in their gardens but have no way of getting rid of the wood, its only old places like ours that have fireplaces and chimneys. When we do buy in, it tends again to be a mixed load from a farmer.
The wood of preference however is apple because of its perfume when burning which is good because we have a lot of fruit farms around us. Oak is good, and all other fruit woods, chestnut spits but we have the spark guard on all the time when Casper is on the rampage. We don't mind burning leylandii, eucalyptus and old window frames and gate posts etc. because we have a stainless steel flue which is swept regularly.
The chimney sweep wears a top hat by the way and earns extra money by making appearances at weddings because it is supposed to bring luck to have a chimney-sweep at your marriage.

How about you?

The Pinkertons
06-29-2016, 11:28 PM
A wonderful story but I wonder what influenced the bird to stop plucking. I know AGs are very intelligent, do you think it decided that with the new house it could make a new start?

I think it is. Happy ending to a very sad and potentially Tragic story. Not hard imaging how horrible a slow and miserable death the poor creature would have had to endure.

Mare
06-29-2016, 11:48 PM
When I hear of a chimney sweep, I always think Mary Poppins! :). Living where we do, we cut our own wood (Tim cuts, I throw into back of truck and we both stack), mostly oak and manzanita wood. Manzanita is a very hard dense wood that will burn for hours on a cold night. Pine is the least favorite only because it burns quickly and soots up the chimney so bad..Tim is our chimney sweep!