PDA

View Full Version : Dory!

lolsavannahh
06-15-2016, 12:29 AM
Yay I finally have my new foster fid... Dory!
She is soo cute! I hope that our journey is short, but worthwhile.. I hope to get to know her and we become best friends before she has to go back! Nash is already in love with her I think :th_biggrin: THey have called to eachother a few times, but she is actually reaallly quiet for a lovie. When Papayago came to drop her off they gave me some bamboo actually and I didn't even know parrots could have it! Apparently it is very good for them to perch on, because it's natural, and they like to destroy it as well.. Nash is already ripping it to bits of course LOL

She is very cute and also HUGGEE.. a lot bigger than Nash! I will post more pictures and videos to come.. Funny that I can already tell their calls apart from downstairs! She is not tamed, but I hope to get her somewhat there before she has to go back.. The new environment with only 1 other bird might help speed the process along..

Mare
06-15-2016, 04:33 AM
She's a pretty bird! Don't let her quietness fool you..she's just figuring out the lay of the land :)

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-15-2016, 11:46 AM
You will have her stepping up in no time :)

plax
06-15-2016, 05:18 PM
A gracious welcome to Dory! I'm confident that you two will hit it off before long :)

lolsavannahh
06-16-2016, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys.. We've really hit it off! She is of course nervous because this is a home instead of a rescue, and it's weird for her to get one on one attention, much less be out of her cage every day ( even though she isn't tame, I let her out.. and so far she has made her way back in within an hour every time. She likes to sit on my head, but bites when I offer her my arm or hand, so we are getting some kind of progress.. She eats anything I throw at her, veggies, fruits, nutriberries.. so all is well right now! She is not super into toys. but she has a ton in her cage (which is about half the size of Nash's unfortunately). I'll show pictures of her cage later.... for now here's a tonnnn of pictures of her!

wingman
06-16-2016, 11:53 PM
Dory is so cute!!

Lady
06-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Congratulations to you both. I know she will be much happier while you have her. She looks like she is wearing a little cap in some of the pics with the way her feather colors are on her head. I know she is loving all those wonderful foods you are sharing with her. Maybe eventually Nash will want to try some of them again just because he see's her eating them.

PlaxMacaws
06-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Aww, she looks like a sweetheart :). And I can see she has settled into a nice hair nest atop your head ;)

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-18-2016, 06:01 PM
What a sweetie! :)

Mare
06-18-2016, 06:45 PM
Dory is a beauty..obviously Jewish descent with the little cap :). I want your hair, Savannah!!

kendrafitz
06-18-2016, 10:35 PM
She is gorgeous! I'm glad she is settling in so well!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lolsavannahh
06-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Dory is a beauty..obviously Jewish descent with the little cap :). I want your hair, Savannah!!

haha definately! and I had to chop my hair off for summer, its a mess LOL

Maddy
06-20-2016, 04:35 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] Dory is beautiful!

lolsavannahh
06-21-2016, 01:58 AM

Very first Dory feather next to a Nash feather! Look how different! Also Dory was very brave today and went up on my arm! She gets a bit nippy sometimes, but today she actually did it and was fine so I put her back in the cage while I had the chance! Her and Nash are getting along better now and they won't try to bite each-others feet through the cage bars LOL

lolsavannahh
07-10-2016, 11:46 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Wow how time has flown by! Dory stepped up on my finger today!!! She was 100% totally afraid of hands, and people really, when I first got her, but now she has blossomed so much into such an amazing bird... She started off by flying to my hair, then my arm, and now today she stepped up!
She gave me a lot of fuss at first ( she has been living in the rescue her whole life of 3 years so she hasn't gotten too much 1 on 1 attention, but she has been around people enough to not be totally scared of them ) and would bite my finger really hard, but I toughed it out and now she doesn't even bite whatsoever!
We had a lot of fun today and now she is sitting in her cage grinding her beak, ready for bed even though it's only 7:45 XD I love this bird! She is so fun!

Lady
07-11-2016, 12:13 AM
That's super wonderful. Ummm maybe she already found her forever home????

The Pinkertons
07-11-2016, 01:04 AM
Is Nash enjoying her company as much as you, I hope you reconsider Dory as a foster, and make it her forever home. She would have the best ever with you and Nash. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :th_smile:

lolsavannahh
07-11-2016, 01:28 AM
Aw you are all so sweet, and I wish I could but I really don't think I would be able to.. I have school starting up in a few weeks again and although it is my senior year, I doubt I would be able to spend enough time with the both of them especially since they are not bonded. If I were to adopt her I would attempt to bond them enough so they could be out together but I don't think I would let them stay in the same cage, because they are opposite sexes and also Nash is very territorial to everyone but me.

My dad would flip as well. I hope we are with her a long time, and maybe my dad would reconsider once she's been here long enough that it's not so bad ( Nash has actually been much quieter since she has come, because they are kinda eachothers "flock" and instead of him contact calling for me he just chatters to her instead. We will see what the future holds, but if someone says they want to adopt her tomorrow I might say my goodbyes if it is a good home :/

I really do love her, but for her health and mine, one parrot is already a lot to juggle with work and school. We are anticipating her being out a few weeks after school starts, so it won't be so bad. Also yes Suzanne, Nash is madly in love with her.. but she does not feel the same with him that's for sure! I know if I gave them time it would work out probably, but since she is a foster they asked me not to let them mingle out of cage incase of accidental impregnation

Dragonlady2
07-11-2016, 03:05 AM
I admire your restraint Savannah. It's obvious you have taken the time to think this through. But you never know what will happen. Dory might end up with you yet.

The Pinkertons
07-11-2016, 04:13 AM
I really do love her, but for her health and mine, one parrot is already a lot to juggle with work and school. We are anticipating her being out a few weeks after school starts, so it won't be so bad. Also yes Suzanne, Nash is madly in love with her.. but she does not feel the same with him that's for sure! I know if I gave them time it would work out probably, but since she is a foster they asked me not to let them mingle out of cage incase of accidental impregnation

I trust your Judgment :goodjob:

Lady
07-16-2016, 01:16 AM
I suppose we all feel your love for her and know she deserves to be with someone that feels for her like you do. I agree that at the moment you are just looking to show her that it is possible as well as showing her what a loving home is like. What will happen will happen and it is already wonderful what you have brought into her life. I'm also sure that we believe you will make the right decisions for her in the future!

lolsavannahh
07-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Aww that's so nice Lady! I agree as well, and know that she will find a loving home eventually.. if it is with me in a year or with someone else(:

In other news, I got Dory this cute little tree-log looking hut because I've wanted to get it for Nash for so long but he is far too hormonal for that.. anyways she loved it first thing! She fell asleep on it last night and I couldn't resist taking a pic :P

Lady
07-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Oh I really like that hut. I especially like that she can sit on the top and roost. I want a platform perch for Lady just in case she wants to stand flat on her feet.

lolsavannahh
08-08-2016, 01:20 AM

Here's Dory on her hut that I got for Nash a while back, but had to remove promptly because it apparently looks like a good girlfriend to him... Yuck! Now Dory doesn't have it either because she was trying to nest in it..

Unfortunately.. I can't let Dory out of her cage much any more.. It's just not a good environment to. The guinea pigs cage is uncovered, and she really tries to go into their cage and since she is not tamed, I cannot call her back or even go ask her to step up without getting a really mean bite and then her not trusting me for the rest of the day.. She also hates to go back in her cage.. So I tempt her with food but whenever she sees that we are going to her cage she just flies back. Takes me 30 minutes or more to get her back in the cage and it's just not working out.... I don't know what to do I feel like a failure. She hasn't been out of the cage in a week, and she was doing so well with the taming too! I give her treats and pets through the cage bars, but without bird proofing the room more I don't want her out..
( P.S. Nash is recall trained very well and also just doesn't give a crap about the guinea pigs which is why he gets to be let out. I am always in the room when he is out so even if he did decide to go check them out I am always watching and get him out as soon as possible. Although it is not inherently dangerous for the two to interact I would never ever risk it and injury could result in death of either one )

ALSO Dory laid an egg! It was huge! I was very shocked when I saw it at the bottom of the cage.. she had only been showing signs of nesting for one day, and I had already taken out the hidey hut that was causing problems, but she was ready for that baby XD Her and Nash have never interacted outside of the cage so there was no worry that it was fertile. I have been giving her hard boiled eggs with shell to give her extra nutrients(:

Dragonlady2
08-08-2016, 03:07 AM
Her being nesty may be why she is giving you such a hard time. She may just need a little time to get past this to settle again. My Sennie is a booger when he is hormonal.

lolsavannahh
08-08-2016, 03:14 AM
Her being nesty may be why she is giving you such a hard time. She may just need a little time to get past this to settle again. My Sennie is a booger when he is hormonal.

I hope that is it! She was such a good bird before! Thanks for the words of encouragement (:

lolsavannahh
08-25-2016, 02:38 AM

Dory is doing swell.. she hasn't touched any of the new chop I made a few nights ago.. offered her 3 times, but she doesn't really seem to care. Anyone have any ideas on how to get a bird who doesn't usually eat veggies to try.. With Nash it was easy because he was so young, but with her the chop isn't appetizing enough apparently since shes a queen or something..

Also Papayago people are coming on Friday afternoon to give her a checkup and a house update.. I have a lot of picking up to do! Clean the guinea cage, clean the birds cages well, vacuum, put away laundry... etc. etc. AND it's my sisters birthday tomorrow and were going out to dinner! I am running out of time to do things!
I have been discussing with them my struggles of letting her out of the cage and how she has become a total JERK since she laid that egg.... and so we have decided to see how she is Friday, but we may be giving her wings a clip.. This may be best in my situation since she likes to get into trouble really fast. The guinea pigs and her are proving to be a big issue, and also getting her back in her cage is very hard unless I give a solid 30 minutes or more at it, and usually get some harsh bites after the first few tries because she doesn't want to do it.. I really don't want to clip her, but safety wise with the pigs and other stuff ( and the combination of her not being tamed enough for me to easily get her out of those situations ) it may be for the best at least until she is tamed more... WHat do you guys think?

The Pinkertons
08-25-2016, 04:28 AM
lolsavannahh

WHat do you guys think?
I think that is a very wise solution to your current problem. By doing so, you will be able to work with her to tame her down, in the long run she will be a much better companion, to whom may adopt her, or if you decide to keep her, feathers grow back. it's temporary, but much needed action on your part. for a long term solution. Think of it as a hair cut , flight feathers grow back! in the long run and in the scope of things as far as parrot ownership goes, she and you, will be all the better for it, you can move forward, to having a well behaved companion bird. After she is clipped, start with the up command & down.

lolsavannahh
08-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Thank you Suzanne! I think we are going to go through with it.. My only concern now is that she is 4 years old if not older, and has ALWAYS been flighted, so her suddenly not being able to may be an issue for a bit.. I may have to put some padding on the bottom of her cage :th_biggrin:

THank you for the words on encouragement... I know it doesn't hurt them physically but I feel it hurts them mentally a bit. I know it will be short term and for the best!(:

The Pinkertons
08-26-2016, 03:22 AM
She'll be fine. We have a tendency to overthink what's the best for our birds. It's for the best right now.

kendrafitz
08-26-2016, 12:09 PM
I agree with Suzanne. In the long run, clipping her will help her.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lolsavannahh
08-26-2016, 07:14 PM
Papayago came today... and we talked game plan!

Since Dory has shown no real improvement in her taming or training since I got her many months ago.... Papayago proposed that she may just be that kind of bird that doesn't really want to be tamed. She is 4, never been handled by humans, was parent raised and all, we think she may just be a pet that has a huge aviary like cage, and doesn't get the stress of being let out and get handled much. That being said we are NOT giving up on her, but because of the stress it puts on her every time we reach in her cage and every time she is out she freaks.. we are going to give her back to Papayago, and get another bird to foster.
I hate to do this, because obviously I love Dory, but we think it is what's best. Dory has been with me for about 3 months now, and has proven to be a big ball of trouble, and is really making my dad mad with her. He loves birds and Nash included, but because of her unwillingness to be tamed/trained/handleable Papayago is going to take her back to their "headquarters" because she will have a higher chance of being adopted out from there since that is where visitors go when interested in a bird. Here, she is just going to sit around, with 1 friend, when there she could have 10 friends around her and it won't feel so bad that she is not being let out daily.
I am going to get another foster from them though, likely a cockatiel. I really like cockatiels, and I would love a bird that is more cuddly than a Lovie, so they are going to see what cockatiels they have and what would best fit me. It feels like I am giving up, and honestly in a sense.. I am. I was looking for a bird to foster that would like to be taken out, would be great in a home environment, but unfortunately Dory does not meet either of those standards. If I had actaully adopted her, I would do like I siad and get her a really huge cage, where she can just rock on with her bad self in there and not have the need to be let out like Nash does.. She would maybe have another friend too.. idk.. but since she is a foster, and it is not permanent ( never was ), I would like to get another bird.

I honestly don't know what to do. I am a bird guru, Nash was easily trained with target training and all, but I have tried every day through the cage bars and out of cage with Dory to target train and she shows zero interest and doesn't seem to even want to try. She has gotten worse because of her hormones, and that false egg too. I used to think I was an experienced owner who could do anything, but now I don't think so. My dad has had such a bad experience with her that he honestly doesn't even want to "swap" her for another bird.. She is very very loud compared to Nash and he works from home so it is upsetting to him about how loud she is. To be honest I have never really worked much with cockatiels, are they louder than lovebirds? I would like to be prepared and have the knowledge so I will know if they will be a good match for me..

P.S. we didn't clip her since she will not be staying with us much longer.. 2 weeks max she said, but we will still work with her every day and see if maybe she settles down

Dragonlady2
08-26-2016, 09:36 PM
Don't beat yourself up too much Savannah. You tried and it just didn't work with you. The value was in at least seeing if you could make a difference in her life....and you did. She is ready for the next step in her life, such as it is and you have helped
her along the way.
By the way, just when you think you know it all with regard to parrots, something will always come along to prove there is always more to learn. Happens to me all the time.
How exciting for you to be able to foster another bird and kudos to Paypayago for following up.

Blancaej
08-28-2016, 03:46 PM
You did the best you could Savannah! You are all just thinking what is best for her. Some birds can never be tamed no matter how hard we try. But the fact is, you kept trying! She will find the right home, I know she will. Chin up!